Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Sumo Deads Form Critique

  1. #1
    powerlifter in training Liftersize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    489

    Sumo Deads Form Critique

    Sumo Deadlift PR reps bw:175

    I noticed my butt pops and my back rounds....i dont think the back rounding really matters but what could i do to help keep my butt down and loaded till the weight is off the floor. Plus throw in any other advice you have. Thanks ahead of time!

    Current Stats: 6'1 185
    Deadlift 480 Bench 280 Squat 365 Raw Total: 1,125
    Front Squat 295
    My New Journal!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...49#post2331749

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,099
    You really should get an arch and keep it throughout the lift. You look like you are doing a conventional DL with your feet wide instead on an actual sumo DL. In a sumo DL you are using primarily hip and leg strength to lift the weight and you lose some of this force transfer to the bar if your back rounds. Plus it gets harder to lockout the more rounded you get (which is what happened on your last couple reps). Get an arch and get your chest up. This will likely help you keep your hips in the right position. Basically once you get a good arch, you can experiment with hip positioning and find what suits you best. Your ideal hip position should be the one that gives you the most pop off the floor without losing your arch. This position will differ based on your arm length and body proportions.

  3. #3
    Senior Member deeder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,255
    You should switch to conventional deadlifts...
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

  4. #4
    powerlifter in training Liftersize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    489
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean S View Post
    You really should get an arch and keep it throughout the lift. You look like you are doing a conventional DL with your feet wide instead on an actual sumo DL. In a sumo DL you are using primarily hip and leg strength to lift the weight and you lose some of this force transfer to the bar if your back rounds. Plus it gets harder to lockout the more rounded you get (which is what happened on your last couple reps). Get an arch and get your chest up. This will likely help you keep your hips in the right position. Basically once you get a good arch, you can experiment with hip positioning and find what suits you best. Your ideal hip position should be the one that gives you the most pop off the floor without losing your arch. This position will differ based on your arm length and body proportions.

    ok ill try again next week. I actually forgot to mention my left hip was strained today so i think i unintentionally took some of my hips out of the motion and forced myself to use more back than usual.
    Current Stats: 6'1 185
    Deadlift 480 Bench 280 Squat 365 Raw Total: 1,125
    Front Squat 295
    My New Journal!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...49#post2331749

  5. #5
    powerlifter in training Liftersize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    489
    Quote Originally Posted by deeder View Post
    You should switch to conventional deadlifts...
    i definitely just want to work on my sumo stance right now. I originally tried conventional and sumo has been working out way better for me.

    My conventional numbers were way lower, i actually surpassed my conventional max the first day i tried sumo stance.
    Current Stats: 6'1 185
    Deadlift 480 Bench 280 Squat 365 Raw Total: 1,125
    Front Squat 295
    My New Journal!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...49#post2331749

  6. #6
    powerlifter in training Liftersize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    489
    Just for reference here is a video from last week and the front to show my stance.
    Current Stats: 6'1 185
    Deadlift 480 Bench 280 Squat 365 Raw Total: 1,125
    Front Squat 295
    My New Journal!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...49#post2331749

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,099
    It's hard to really see anything from the front, but on the 420 you can see your shoulers collapse forward a little bit as you get the bar off the ground. This tells me your back is rounding there as well.
    Drop back to submax weights and get your technique dialed in and then work back up over a period of weeks. If you increase the weight on the bar and you start rounding again, take some weight off and start the process of building back up again. If you find a back weakness is holding you back, do some weighted back raises with a 2-3 sec pause at the top.
    You may sacrifice a few pounds right now getting your technique corrected, but in the long run it will allow you to move bigger weights.
    Last edited by Sean S; 03-20-2010 at 08:44 AM.

  8. #8
    powerlifter in training Liftersize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    489
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean S View Post
    It's hard to really see anything from the front, but on the 420 you can see your shoulers collapse forward a little bit as you get the bar off the ground. This tells me your back is rounding there as well.
    Drop back to submax weights and get your technique dialed in and then work back up over a period of weeks. If you increase the weight on the bar and you start rounding again, take some weight off and start the process of building back up again. If you find a back weakness is holding you back, do some weighted back raises with a 2-3 sec pause at the top.
    You may sacrifice a few pounds right now getting your technique corrected, but in the long run it will allow you to move bigger weights.
    for sure ill work on the back....do you think it looks like i'm pulling up too much and not far enough back i was wondering if that's why my butt goes up before the weight? Because when my butt pops alot it definitely puts more strain on my back and makes my round worse. This was my biggest problem with conventional.
    Current Stats: 6'1 185
    Deadlift 480 Bench 280 Squat 365 Raw Total: 1,125
    Front Squat 295
    My New Journal!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...49#post2331749

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Liftersize View Post
    for sure ill work on the back....do you think it looks like i'm pulling up too much and not far enough back i was wondering if that's why my butt goes up before the weight? Because when my butt pops alot it definitely puts more strain on my back and makes my round worse. This was my biggest problem with conventional.
    It's probably due to a weakness in the legs and hips. Its easier to lift a load from a 1/2 or 1/4 squat position than a deeper position. Thus, your hips pop up to a position to get enough leverage to get the load moving. Again, you don't have to start from a deep squat position, but if your hips pop up enough it causes your back to round it's a problem. To bring up these weaknesses do submax sumo DL's for multiple sets of 3-5 with absolutely perfect form. Then do some assistance work to hit the posterior chain (weighted back raises, glute-ham raises, RDL's, etc...). Again, be patient because your DL poundages will likely decrease at first with the change in technique, but just keep doing it correctly and get the work done.

Similar Threads

  1. Switching from conv. to sumo deads?
    By martin in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-18-2009, 02:56 PM
  2. sumo vs normal deads??
    By WyztaTrjnsFtbll in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-27-2007, 01:36 PM
  3. Converting to Sumo Deads
    By Sidior in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 09-27-2006, 03:29 PM
  4. Sumo Deads
    By Saint Patrick in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-21-2003, 07:28 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •