Thread: Does this look ok?

Wannabebig Member

Does this look ok?

Im thinking of starting this, using the A-B-A-B split:
    My goals are strength gain with fat loss, looking to lose 7lbs but keep my lifts going up.

I weigh 191 at the moment and am looking to get to about 184. This is with me working out 4 times a week alongside walking on both weights days and rest days for 40 mins to an hour.

Using the guide, 184x16=2944, which ill round down to 2900 to make it a little clearer.
    184 is my goal weigh,t and x16 is my approximate work out time each week, with approx 1 hour of weight training plus 30 mins walk on each of the A-B-A-B days, and 30 mins of walking on the rest days for a total of 7.5 hours per week.

Using the rule of dropping 5-10% for weight loss, (im going to go with 10%) would take me down to 2610 cals on weight training days.

1.5g of protein per lb of bodyweight would mean 286g/1144 cals of protein (or would I base this off my goal weight, as in 1.5x184=276?)
    0.5g of fats per lb of bodyweight would equal 95g/380 cals of fat
    adding them together makes 1524 calories, which means 271g/1086 calories need to come from carbs.

So if the above is correct, would it be possible for me to drop weight whilst still increasing strength on the HTC-12 plan? And on non workout days where im only doing walking, would I need to drop calories down from 2610 a little to aid fat loss?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Alnor10; 05-29-2010 at 03:26 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Just bumping this as im going to go for a 3 day spilt instead, im not sure I could recover enough on 4 days (ive tried it in the past, and my strength gains came to a screching halt).

2600 cals seem ok if im intending to drop approx 1lb per week? 191 aiming for 184.
    Last edited by Alnor10; 05-31-2010 at 05:37 AM.

1.2-1.5x goal body weight would be just fine for protein intake.

I agree with your idea of training 3x per week instead of 4 for recovery purposes.

as far as your off days, I'd go a bit lower on the kcals if you're not doing much else than walking 30 minutes.

edit: also remember to avoid failure. leave a few reps in the take when possible.
    Last edited by JCD; 05-31-2010 at 07:45 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCD View Post
    1.2-1.5x goal body weight would be just fine for protein intake.

I agree with your idea of training 3x per week instead of 4 for recovery purposes.

as far as your off days, I'd go a bit lower on the kcals if you're not doing much else than walking 30 minutes.

edit: also remember to avoid failure. leave a few reps in the take when possible.
    Thanks. ill definately make sure to change to stopping short of failure for each set, something which I havent been doing.

If I up the walking to 4 miles a day and cut rest days by around 200cals (down to 2400), would it effect my recovery too much? A 4 mile walk takes me about an hour and 10 minutes usually.