The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Does this look ok?

Im thinking of starting this, using the A-B-A-B split:
    My goals are strength gain with fat loss, looking to lose 7lbs but keep my lifts going up.

I weigh 191 at the moment and am looking to get to about 184. This is with me working out 4 times a week alongside walking on both weights days and rest days for 40 mins to an hour.

Using the guide, 184x16=2944, which ill round down to 2900 to make it a little clearer.
    184 is my goal weigh,t and x16 is my approximate work out time each week, with approx 1 hour of weight training plus 30 mins walk on each of the A-B-A-B days, and 30 mins of walking on the rest days for a total of 7.5 hours per week.

Using the rule of dropping 5-10% for weight loss, (im going to go with 10%) would take me down to 2610 cals on weight training days.

1.5g of protein per lb of bodyweight would mean 286g/1144 cals of protein (or would I base this off my goal weight, as in 1.5x184=276?)
    0.5g of fats per lb of bodyweight would equal 95g/380 cals of fat
    adding them together makes 1524 calories, which means 271g/1086 calories need to come from carbs.

So if the above is correct, would it be possible for me to drop weight whilst still increasing strength on the HTC-12 plan? And on non workout days where im only doing walking, would I need to drop calories down from 2610 a little to aid fat loss?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Alnor10; 05-29-2010 at 03:26 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    Just bumping this as im going to go for a 3 day spilt instead, im not sure I could recover enough on 4 days (ive tried it in the past, and my strength gains came to a screching halt).

2600 cals seem ok if im intending to drop approx 1lb per week? 191 aiming for 184.
    Last edited by Alnor10; 05-31-2010 at 05:37 AM.

1.2-1.5x goal body weight would be just fine for protein intake.

I agree with your idea of training 3x per week instead of 4 for recovery purposes.

as far as your off days, I'd go a bit lower on the kcals if you're not doing much else than walking 30 minutes.

edit: also remember to avoid failure. leave a few reps in the take when possible.
    Last edited by JCD; 05-31-2010 at 07:45 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCD View Post
    1.2-1.5x goal body weight would be just fine for protein intake.

I agree with your idea of training 3x per week instead of 4 for recovery purposes.

as far as your off days, I'd go a bit lower on the kcals if you're not doing much else than walking 30 minutes.

edit: also remember to avoid failure. leave a few reps in the take when possible.
    Thanks. ill definately make sure to change to stopping short of failure for each set, something which I havent been doing.

If I up the walking to 4 miles a day and cut rest days by around 200cals (down to 2400), would it effect my recovery too much? A 4 mile walk takes me about an hour and 10 minutes usually.