The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Building Bigger Triceps and Biceps by Chase Karnes - New Article!

Let's be honest, building an impressive set of guns is quite possibly the sole reason you first set foot in the gym. The baggy sleeves on that small T-shirt just weren’t doing it for you right?

Unless you are one of those genetically blessed gunslingers you see walking around your local gym, then arm training can be a little more complex and tricky.

Luckily Chase Karnes is about to share his eight best tips for building bigger triceps and biceps!

READ HERE

Discuss and Enjoy
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

<3 rope or towel chin-ups. That aside, in my experience, forearms are almost always the weak link.
    Last edited by Shemz; 03-22-2010 at 02:54 PM.
    "When you promise yourself something, make a commitment, you can't give up. Because, when you're in the gym, you have to fulfill the promise you made to yourself. The people who can self motivate - in any field - are usually the ones who win. Regardless of talent." T. Platz

Another great article Chase.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

How many of you guys use chin-ups/pull-ups for a bicep workout?

I've been using chin-ups in my back workout for the longest time. Should I switch it out and do something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Pure Water View Post

I've been using chin-ups in my back workout for the longest time. Should I switch it out and do something else?
    I do chinups (palms facing in) for biceps as the first exercise 5 set for arms. Then switch to dumbell curls (hammer & normal) as a supersets. Usually do 3 sets of those.

I just started that about 3 weeks ago, and I like the 'pump' I'm getting, but my arms have a long way to go.

I'm going to try the grip suggestions as well.

I enjoyed this article. I do a full body routine and only have 1 day of direct biceps (curl variants). I've noticed that chinups and rows are hitting my bis hard enough to only need 1-2 exercises dedicated fully to biceps.

Also pure, regardless of whether you hit chinups primarily for back or bis, they'll hit both

Since chin-ups work your biceps so much, should I use it only in my bicep workouts? I've been doing chin-ups with my palms facing me and my palms facing each other for my back workouts ever since I started doing chin-ups. Should I switch to pull-ups, although I can only do 5-6 reps for my first set? Or should I do lat pull-downs instead until I get strong enough to do more reps on pull-ups?

HELP!

Strength Coach & Athlete Chase Karnes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Another great article Chase.
    Thanks!

I like to alternate myself or a client between the two.

So for example: do 4 weeks of chin ups. Then switch to 4 weeks of pull ups. Then back to chin ups, etc.

And don't forget about the many grip varations (close grip, wide grip, neutral grip, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by JRider23 View Post
    I enjoyed this article. I do a full body routine and only have 1 day of direct biceps (curl variants). I've noticed that chinups and rows are hitting my bis hard enough to only need 1-2 exercises dedicated fully to biceps.

Also pure, regardless of whether you hit chinups primarily for back or bis, they'll hit both
    Thanks for the feedback!

Since chin-ups work your biceps so much, should I use it only in my bicep workouts? I've been doing chin-ups with my palms facing me and my palms facing each other for my back workouts ever since I started doing chin-ups. Should I switch to pull-ups, although I can only do 5-6 reps for my first set? Or should I do lat pull-downs instead until I get strong enough to do more reps on pull-ups?

HELP!
    You can use them on either really. If you train your back one day and your biceps the other its really up to you. Regardless of which day you use them your biceps will still be getting hit on back day as well.

I'd recommend using pull ups for back also. Since you can currently only perform 5 or 6 just do sets of 2s or 3s and shoot for a total number. Then increase the total number over time.

Lat pull downs are a good way to hit the same area as a pull up with some more volume when you aren't able to perform many reps. If your training program calls for say 3 x 10 on pull ups and you can only do 5 I'd recommend lat pull downs.

Quote Originally Posted by Chase Karnes View Post
    You can use them on either really. If you train your back one day and your biceps the other its really up to you. Regardless of which day you use them your biceps will still be getting hit on back day as well.

I'd recommend using pull ups for back also. Since you can currently only perform 5 or 6 just do sets of 2s or 3s and shoot for a total number. Then increase the total number over time.

Lat pull downs are a good way to hit the same area as a pull up with some more volume when you aren't able to perform many reps. If your training program calls for say 3 x 10 on pull ups and you can only do 5 I'd recommend lat pull downs.
    What I've been doing the last little while has been chin-ups for 3 sets to failure for my back workout. I also do 1-2 sets of hammer curls at the end of my workout for my biceps. My current goal is to bulk. But like you said, I'll probably switch to either pull-ups or lat pull-downs. Also, for my compound exercises, I do sets of 6-8 reps, is that how much I should be aiming for when doing pull-ups?

What I've been doing the last little while has been chin-ups for 3 sets to failure for my back workout. I also do 1-2 sets of hammer curls at the end of my workout for my biceps. My current goal is to bulk. But like you said, I'll probably switch to either pull-ups or lat pull-downs. Also, for my compound exercises, I do sets of 6-8 reps, is that how much I should be aiming for when doing pull-ups?
    Over time you should train in different rep ranges- even with "bulking" being your main goal. But the 6-8 rep range is fine.

Can I use this routine for all uper body workout

Quote Originally Posted by marleau View Post
    Can I use this routine for all uper body workout
    Yes, you can do that.

I have a question, my routine is right now is all equal. If I do chin-ups for my bicep workout, I'd be doing a tiny bit more for my back than my chest and a legs. Should I worry about this? Or is it just one of those "don't worry about it" type things?

I have a question, my routine is right now is all equal. If I do chin-ups for my bicep workout, I'd be doing a tiny bit more for my back than my chest and a legs. Should I worry about this? Or is it just one of those "don't worry about it" type things?
    I wouldn't worry about it. It's not a big deal.

You could add in some more upper body pushing work if you'd like though.
    Last edited by Chase Karnes; 03-30-2010 at 11:25 AM.

How many times a week do you recommend this workout be done, or rather how often?

Quote Originally Posted by depotman View Post
    How many times a week do you recommend this workout be done, or rather how often?
    Once a week. You could combine it with a split routine, upper/lowers or even full body workouts.

Examples of all 3 below:

Day 1: Arms (From article)
    Day 2: Off
    Day 3: Chest/Shoulders
    Day 4: Off
    Day 5: Back
    Day 6: Quads/Hams/Calves
    Day 7: Off

Day 1: Upper Body - Arms (From article)
    Day 3: Lower Body
    Day 5: Upper Body - Chest, Back, Shoulders
    Day 6: Off

Day 1: Full Body
    Day 3: Full Body (1 Lower body movement + Arms (From article)
    Day 5: Off
    Day 6: Full Body
    Last edited by Chase Karnes; 04-15-2010 at 11:31 AM.

Chase,

Really loving your arms workout from the article. Great combination of exercises and my arms are definitely seeing the benefit. I have currently been doing it for 6 weeks now. Do I need to change anything up and ramp down the intensity like you mention in the article or am I okay doing the following for a bit longer?

A1 Close Grip Bench 5 x 4-6 reps
    A2 Pull Ups 5 x 4-6 reps
    B1 Dips 4 x 8-11 reps
    B2 Wide Grip Curls 4 x 8-11 reps
    C1 Tricep Extensions 3 x 9-15 reps
    C2 Hammer Curls 3 x 9-11 reps

I am going to take your advice and do a body split setup. Any ideas on a Chest, Back, Shoulders workout?

Here is how my week will look -

Mon - Play B Ball for 2 hours
    Tue - Arm Workout from article
    Wed - Play B Ball for 2 hours
    Thurs - Lower Body Vertical Jump Training
    Fri - Chest, Back, Shoulders
    Sat - Lower Body Vertical Jump Training
    Sun - Off