The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Getting Lean without Cardio!!

I just had 2 clients compete this weekend at the Natutal Ohio Championships, one of them being my beautiful girlfriend Nicole, and they did no traditional steady state cardio for the contest prep as 90% of all competitors do out of traditionalism and becaused thats what everyone else does. Ther are better, more efficient, and less damaging ways to get lean for everyday life or contests without doing hours of regular steady state cardio or even too much interval training as well.

With proper training protocols that include complexes, bi-plexes, tri-plexes, etc... and power training you can burn off the fat with training and not starve it off or by doing cardio 5-7 days a week.

Nicole placed 2nd in the bikini division out of 16 girls and I had her do a MET/Hybrid protocol for her prep. Estee placed 3rd in Figure and I had her doing a Hybrid protocol, with absolutely no traditional cardio.

And surprise suprise they had carbs in all meals except last one and they still got lean. More proof that there are better and safer ways to get lean, especially for contests. People need to wake up and step outside the box.

Pics attached
    Attached Images Attached Images

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Congrats on the accomplishments!

Any way you can post some of training programs/methodologies?

This is of high interest to me because I am looking to lean up for the summer without losing the strength/muscle gains I've made over the winter.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Raleighwood View Post

Co-sign.

You can't just post claims that like along with pictures of attractive women and not share the routine!
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

Yeah, my girlfriend might be interested in non traditional style of cardio as she has weak ankles. Any info on the routine/diet would be pro!
    A: 23
    H: 5'7''
    W: 197 lbs
    ------Instagram: danielsetser
    Bench: 345
    Deadlift: 550
    Squat: 425

Well done Allen!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I have been doing the carb rotation and throwing in some complexes, and have been dropping fat like a rock while keeping most of my LBM. I'm almost down to 10% BF which took me well into July to achieve last year. The only cardio I have been doing is the occasional game of basketball at the local rec. center. I'm definitely a fan of his training ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Raleighwood View Post

This is of high interest to me because I am looking to lean up for the summer without losing the strength/muscle gains I've made over the winter.
    I can't post a whole training program as this how I make a living so i can't give the farm away so to speak. But here is one complex that was in My girlfriends program:

All exercises are done back to back without rest for 4-5 sets of 6-10 reps
    -DB High Pull
    -2 Arm DB Snatch
    -DB Bent row
    -DB deadlift
    -DB Squat/Clean & Press

You have to remeber programns are designed for a persons current needs state and where they have been and what they are working towards.

Banned
    Great work Allen!

Question - do you find this type of training still produces a beneficial effect on the person's health and is the person's fitness compromised by a lack of longer duration work? I'm interested in getting leaner (who isn't?) but aesthetics are not my only goal so I currently do a mix of HIIT and steady state because I feel my body will benefit the most from it. But like you say I don't want to starve my body and I don't want to damage my muscular gains so I'm very cautious with my cardio nowadays. I sort of want the best of both worlds. Would metcon weight circuits on their own still provide that?

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Great work Allen!

Question - do you find this type of training still produces a beneficial effect on the person's health and is the person's fitness compromised by a lack of longer duration work? I'm interested in getting leaner (who isn't?) but aesthetics are not my only goal so I currently do a mix of HIIT and steady state because I feel my body will benefit the most from it. But like you say I don't want to starve my body and I don't want to damage my muscular gains so I'm very cautious with my cardio nowadays. I sort of want the best of both worlds. Would metcon weight circuits on their own still provide that?
    What do you mean by longer duration? The protocols are usually done within an hour. Thsi type of training enhances metabilic rate, increases workload capacity, builds muscle, etc... so of course its beneficial to ones health and overall fitness. Now if you are a maarthon runner thats the only thing that it wouldn't benefit nearly as much.

I have many clients using thus type of training who are not specifically training for cosmetics and just want tobe in in good shape and overall good health. Thats what is great about the methodology I use, it uses many different aspects of training and integrates them to meet an individuals needs state.

I very rarely prescribe staedy state cardio, but I do use it depending on the person.

I am unfamiliar with metcon weight circuits.

Great results.

Allen, do you have any idea how complexes translate over to sport conditiong, namely football? Im wondering because in the summer i am going to have to get the best endurance i can have (this has always been my weak spot), and was wondering if i can still do complexes along with HIIT.

There are endless varities of complexes that can be designed and yes they can definitley translate to sports conditioning. I have designed circuits/complexes for MMA fighters, basketball players, football players, etc.... with great results.

As far as doing with HIIT that maybe overkill but would depend on the design of the protocol.

great job. very impressive
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Between you and your girlfriend, there is a total of about 4 lbs. of fat, haha....you two are some ripped bastards!

Good call on the complexes...I never do SS cardio, and I don't carb restrict either, and I'm the leanest as I've ever been in my entire life!
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Wannabebig New Member
    Seeing it live was even better!
    I hit that show Allen - my compliments to both ladies on their superb results!
    A lot of quality competition...even the Masters classes were impressive.

Again - my congrats to the three of you.
    Well earned my man!

Best,
    Troy

Wannabebig Member
    so far so good..! you did lots of accomplishments nowadays...!
    nice job..

Allen, is this something you work into the rest of the workout....i.e do your standard weight training and then finish off with a complex circuit....or is this the only training you do on that day?
    Bench: Half a subway club
    Squat: to pee
    Deadlift: no thanks

don't let the 12" pythons fool you....i can run way faster scared than you can mad