The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member
    Work in Ga, live in Alabama and in Iraq now

My thrown together workout, please critique it!!!!!!!! don't hold back

Day 1:
    Bench 5,4,3,2,1
    incline DB 4x8
    Mil Press 4x8
    front raises 4x8
    DB Tri Press or Skulls 4x8

Day2
    Box Squats 4x8
    Z squats 4x6
    box lunges 4x8
    SLDL 4x8

Day 3
    Back and deadlift work

Day 4
    Rest

Day 5
    some bench i guess speed with accessories

Day 6
    Legs alternate squats or such (help fill in the blanks please)

Day 7
    Back and deadlift work again

Please help me figure this out, their are alot of workout's i have been reading i'm trying to get my own down to help me. I am going to get boards made for board benching as i have a problem after about 2 inches off my chest i figure that will help, also going to get some bands as chains are to heavy to have shipped to me. I am looking to do a meet in December, but want to get stronger and stronger as we all do.

I am weighting about 208 right now, gaining about 1 pound a week for the last 4 or so weeks
    standing 70" tall, and 30 y/o in april. benching 340x1 squat 485x2 wrapped and pulling 465x2

any help at all you can give me would be awesome
    i am deployed in the army so i may have to do cardio sometimes but i'm pushing that off as much as i can thanks again for your comments and help
    30y/o 5'10" 200lbs
    Bench PR-350 raw
    Deadlift PR-500 raw
    Squat PR-445x7 raw

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

This is repeated a lot but why not go with one of the proven routines made by guys that know how to get strong?

Because you look to be an intermediate lifter I would do Wendlers 5-3-1 if you are not planning on using chains or bands. Or do a Westside template if you are want to train with bands and chains.

Either way buy the books and get a real plan together. Your is not very efficent and does not have the right amount of rest to me.

Good luck!
    "The deadlift is more functional in that itís very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy *h*t up off the ground" Rip

Max 3x5 Goal 3x5 by 12/31/11 *1X5
    Bench (245) (275) 285x1x1 335
    Dead (385)* (445) 435x1x1 505
    Squat (320) (355) 355X1X1 405
    Squat (195) (275) 20 Reppers!
    (950) (1075) 1075 1245 Goals (Not including 20 reps)
    5'10" 288Lbs 02/01/2011 Goal Weight 230 On my way back from a Break!

Combat,
    Honestly, looks like a lot of work bro... Sqauting &/ or deadlifting twice a week is very hard to recover from esp. when you factor in your required PT.(Army vetern myself)

Obviously, everybodys recovery abilities are different, but you couldn't sustain that volume for long w/o over training... I'd do no more than 3-5 days a week working the big (3) w/ acessory work. Give the 5-3-1 a try or a general lineiar periodization routine and go from there. Looks like you have a solid strength base by the looks of your numbers so adding in speed work is a great idea as well!

Good luck bro,
    RC

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by robchris View Post
    Combat,
    Honestly, looks like a lot of work bro... Sqauting &/ or deadlifting twice a week is very hard to recover from esp. when you factor in your required PT.(Army vetern myself)

Obviously, everybodys recovery abilities are different, but you couldn't sustain that volume for long w/o over training... I'd do no more than 3-5 days a week working the big (3) w/ acessory work. Give the 5-3-1 a try or a general lineiar periodization routine and go from there. Looks like you have a solid strength base by the looks of your numbers so adding in speed work is a great idea as well!

Good luck bro,
    RC
    they thanks, where can i get that 5-3-1 book from?
    yeah i;m just trying this workout, i was doing each body part once a week and i was getting mad gains from that but i was wanting to do of a more conventional powerlifitng workout.
    30y/o 5'10" 200lbs
    Bench PR-350 raw
    Deadlift PR-500 raw
    Squat PR-445x7 raw

"Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Wannabebig Member
    i just got the E-book off of Elitefts.com, we'll see how it goes. I've been working out since i was 14 did powerlifting in High School, but on my own after that. been picking here and there from what i read online and what i know i've done pretty well for only working out every other year, but i'm sticking with it this time when i get back to the states. started in November benching 205 for 6 and muscle memory and alot of hard work has gotten me to 340 for 1 and 315 for a triple as of now. thanks for all of your help, i'm wanting to hit that 500pull and squat and would love to bench 405 before heading home in oct. but we'll see the meet is in december that i am wanting to do.
    once again thank you all for your help.
    30y/o 5'10" 200lbs
    Bench PR-350 raw
    Deadlift PR-500 raw
    Squat PR-445x7 raw

Good luck and Thanks for your service!
    "The deadlift is more functional in that itís very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy *h*t up off the ground" Rip

Max 3x5 Goal 3x5 by 12/31/11 *1X5
    Bench (245) (275) 285x1x1 335
    Dead (385)* (445) 435x1x1 505
    Squat (320) (355) 355X1X1 405
    Squat (195) (275) 20 Reppers!
    (950) (1075) 1075 1245 Goals (Not including 20 reps)
    5'10" 288Lbs 02/01/2011 Goal Weight 230 On my way back from a Break!

I think your volume is too low. Double everything.
    Roll Tide.

Not very good really, way too much!!

Look into westside barbells template, sounds like it would suit you.

Over training will get you nowhere, you have some good strength so once your training is better you will really do well.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Wannabebig Member
    ok so i'm hearing Westside and 5/3/1 wtf, i want the most i can get out of anything, i've got the 5/3/1 book i'm going to print it today and read thru it, everyone has there opinion i guess on what works best.
    30y/o 5'10" 200lbs
    Bench PR-350 raw
    Deadlift PR-500 raw
    Squat PR-445x7 raw

Why did you, "Wtf" that? Westside is one of the most proven power lifting routines out there. 5/3/1 has worked for many as well.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Quote Originally Posted by combatzr2 View Post
    ok so i'm hearing Westside and 5/3/1 wtf, i want the most i can get out of anything, i've got the 5/3/1 book i'm going to print it today and read thru it, everyone has there opinion i guess on what works best.
    A lot of people will base their opinions based upon the repeated success of others. Westside has been proven for decades to be a successful program for many many people.

5-3-1 is a newer program that will take time to work it's way to the top, but for the time it's been out there it has also been a very successful program for many who have used it. It's been especially easy for many who are new to powerlifting and have a difficult time understanding the training principles of other programs out there like Westside.

Your program that you wrote out seems quite haphazard and without much reason. You asked people to not hold back, so you probably shouldn't be surprised when they don't.

Just my 2 cents, I have to agree with the others, it's far too much, too frequently and lacks a guideline.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Working everyday is certainly not going to get you much of anything. remember its the rest that makes you stronger, constantly beating down your body will do exactly that. Dont just read through the 5/3/1 book, try it.
    There are many very experienced lifters telling you that your routine that you asked to be criticized doesnt work. Trust them. Only part of this is opinion, much is based on proven programs. When it works its a fact.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The...32666473422227
    we forge our bodies in the fire of our will

There are more than one training routine and template that can work well. That's why some may suggest 5/3/1 and some may suggest Westside. As Travis said, both work very well.
    Since you already have the 5/3/1 and it's a little easier to understand and implement, go with that. Do it correctly and give it plenty of time and I'm confident you will get good results. I know it can be a little overwhelming with all the information out there and all the different suggestions, so if you're going with 5/3/1 go with it completely and don't worry about the other stuff.
    Last edited by Sean S; 03-22-2010 at 06:43 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    Oh believe me i am wanting direction and i'm not getting "butt hurt" at all i asked for it and i can take it. I am going to start the 5/3/1 workout this week. I like the way it is written out and think it will help my lifts improve. but as with anything you get out what you put in. I'm going to be putting alot into this workout as i am going to do some lifting still when i am state side this time. i'm not blowing off the weight once home again, i've done that to many times and i love the gym and what it offers for me. so keep the comments comming. i'm thinking the 5/3/1 Big but Boring. i'll keep you guys posted on how the cycles are going and if i need any other advice, hopefully i can return the favors to you all sometimes.
    30y/o 5'10" 200lbs
    Bench PR-350 raw
    Deadlift PR-500 raw
    Squat PR-445x7 raw

Banned
    Oh believe me i am wanting direction and i'm not getting "butt hurt" at all i asked for it and i can take it. I am going to start the 5/3/1 workout this week. I like the way it is written out and think it will help my lifts improve. but as with anything you get out what you put in. I'm going to be putting alot into this workout as i am going to do some lifting still when i am state side this time. i'm not blowing off the weight once home again, i've done that to many times and i love the gym and what it offers for me. so keep the comments comming. i'm thinking the 5/3/1 Big but Boring. i'll keep you guys posted on how the cycles are going and if i need any other advice, hopefully i can return the favors to you all sometimes.
    Good luck on it. There are numerous 5-3-1 threads out here that can give you advice, but i will summarize the most frequently echoed advice given concerning that program:

- Make sure to base your training weights off 10-15% below your true 1RM, otherwise you will stall very quickly.
    - Don't underestimate the deload. When you are in your first 1-2 cycles of 5-3-1 they may seem boring and you will ask yourself why should I do them. But they are important as your body recovers and your progress can continue well on into the next cycle.
    - This is a long term training program. I have had very good success on the program but I have also been on it for nearly a year. Stick with it religiously for 3-4 cycles and you will see great results.

Its a great program. If you follow it as written you will definitely develop raw strength thats sustainable and will last.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmanuel View Post
    Good luck on it. There are numerous 5-3-1 threads out here that can give you advice, but i will summarize the most frequently echoed advice given concerning that program:

- Make sure to base your training weights off 10-15% below your true 1RM, otherwise you will stall very quickly.
    - Don't underestimate the deload. When you are in your first 1-2 cycles of 5-3-1 they may seem boring and you will ask yourself why should I do them. But they are important as your body recovers and your progress can continue well on into the next cycle.
    - This is a long term training program. I have had very good success on the program but I have also been on it for nearly a year. Stick with it religiously for 3-4 cycles and you will see great results.

Its a great program. If you follow it as written you will definitely develop raw strength thats sustainable and will last.
    after reading this post I checked out the 5/3/1 program as Wendler has written it. Think I'm going to try it.