The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The Importance of Weight Plates

As some here know, I'm in the process of investing in my own home gym and I'm hoping to get it done sooner rather than later, but who knows at this point. Right now I'm stuck in a debate with myself.

I am going with a more expensive rack than I originally planned on and I don't have a very big budget. The rack will probably run me $900-1000 with shipping. My budget is around $3,000 at the moment.

Mats won't be more than $200. DBs will be about $800. A good bench will run me about $250. I have bands, need to buy chains (about $130)

That leaves me with around 600 and I still need a bar/plates. I'm actually hoping I can come in way under $3000, even though I know that's pretty cheap. But it's a goal.

I can get the plates and a bar from Dick's for $530 or so. The bar would only be a 500 lb rated bar. No name brand plates.

I was looking at the 500 lb Troy sets. The set comes with a 500 lb rated bar, (6) 45s, (2) 35s, (2) 25s, (4) 10s, (4) 5s, (2) 2.5... That would be like $630 w/ shipping included and a 10 yr warrantee.

I need two more 45s so that would run me an extra $116 or so.

The plates are 3 hole plates. They look pretty good. I'm completely confused as to what to do here. Anyone have a little guidance?

I don't have a ton of money so completely busting my budget isn't really an option...
    Last edited by KoSh; 03-23-2010 at 08:17 AM.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

If it were me, I would cut back on the DB's and buy a decent bar. A 500 lb. rated bar will be destroyed in almost no time if you use any weight at all for any of your exercises. Buy a good sturdy multi-purpose bar like a texas power bar. A good bar may be the most important investment you make. You can live without DB's for a while, but you're pretty much screwed if you bend your bar in a month or two.
    I think any olympic plates that aren't hex shaped will be fine.

I got my DB's used for $475 40's up to 100's

Plates are also best bought used. You can buy more plates and spend less money. Craigslist is really good for this. Don't buy that crap from Dicks. It's overpriced and the bars suck

Take the money you'd have spent at Dicks and spend $250 on a Texas Power bar. Those Oly gym bars are garbage. They whip like crazy and often times the rings are different from bar to bar.

In my area, there were a ton of gyms going out of business when I was purchasing equipment. Great way to save some cash.

Don't spend money on stuff that isn't super necessary that it be nice. Some of my plates are rusty and dusty from some old guys garage, but my rack and bars are top notch.

I wouldn't sweat chains just yet either. Not a must and sometimes you can find them used at a scrapyard.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I've found 300+ lb weight sets on craigslist for under $100 all the time. The bar I'm sure won't work for you, but I bet you could come up with over 600 # of plates for $150 or so... plus you won't have to pay tax or shipping.

Weight is weight... if you dont' like how it looks you can always paint it.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

Yeah spend some extra cash and get a good bar. You can get a Jesup bar pretty cheap still, and its a very durable bar. Check Jesupgym.com. As for the plates--try to find them used--brand new stuff costs out the ass. Even if you have to drive a couple hours away to pick them up, it would be well worth it. The stuff is out there--you just have to look, and have a little patience. It has taken me over 4 years to build a decent key club gym. Just bought pieces here and there--over time, I had enough to open it up.

Dr. Subtotal
    +25 on the good bar. I work out with the crappiest equipment you can imagine...yet with a good bar, you barely notice the difference. I'd recommend a Texas/Jesup bar (the training q-bar is pretty decent too), but I'd also get a piece of crap one for things like rack pulls where if u drop the bar with 5+ on it, you don't have to worry about murdering the bar. Either way, just make sure the knurling on the bar is decent.

Honestly, go on craigslist and other sites...you'd be surprised what you can find. If you live by a university, go check out their salvage centers. Often, they gut their fitness facilities to exchange new equipment for old. A certain university I attend has no iron weights on campus anymore, but were selling the perfectly good old ones at ridiculously old prices. Hell, send a call to some HS gyms or local gyms that are being bought by chains.

As far as chains, go to a local marina or marine supplier. They often have the cheapest 5/8 chain. Otherwise, you can get a huge bucket of 3/8 and cut it to 5-6 ft lengths. Yes, you'll end up with double the amount of chain, but this is pretty cheap and as long as you have the room for it, it doesn't matter.
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...

First off, thanks for all the suggestions.

The first thing I did was look on Craigslist for weights. Unfortunately, most of the weights being sold in my area for the last few months have been the standard weights, the ones with the small diameter hole.

I'm going to continue looking there.

I was battling myself on the 500 lb bar as well... Seeing how I'm starting to high box squat weights at about 500 lbs and I deadlift over that... It was definitely a concern of mine. I'll look into the jessup bars and such. I'm going to have to reowrk some numbers and figure out exactly how much I'm going to have to spend. I have to get my rack custom cut to fit my basement, so it'll be a 76" rack or so.

The DBs I'm going to probably not get on my own and just see if I can get a portion of those paid for for a birthday present or something (BDay is in September).

Still, I have the dilemma of weights, a bar and a bench.

If anyone has any bench suggestions I'm all ears. You guys are awesome, by the way.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

I bought 750 pounds of plates on Craigslist for $200 about 6 months ago. I looked for about 2 months, though, before I found them. Patience is key when it comes to used stuff.
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

Just checked Jessup Gym... 7 ft. Olympic Bar, 1500# test for $135 shipped? That's pretty cheap...

http://jesupgym.com/products.php?cid=12

475 lbs of weights would cost me $322.50 + shipping from there as well. We'll see what the shipping quote is, I just emailed them. I'm not going to rush into it as I'm still going to check out craigslist. But that place seems awesome. $.70 a pound for the plates.

And that's if I bought all the weights straight up, they have a 300 lb set that comes with a 700# test bar that I could use as a "beat up" bar for $219.95. It doesn't say what weights come with that set, however. My guess would be (2) 45s, (2) 35s, (2) 25s, (2) 10s, (4) 5s, (2) 2.5s...

So $219.95 + $203 (Six 45s, two 10s added), +135 = $557.95 + Shipping and I'm getting a 1500# bar, 700# bar, and 545 lbs of weight. That doesn't seem like a bad deal in the least.

Great suggestion on that site. Even if I had to pay a little extra than I wanted to there, that's still a GREAT deal.
    Last edited by KoSh; 03-23-2010 at 10:40 AM.
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Wannabebig Member
    $165 shipped i think but it's a very good bar. it was recommended to me by others & i love it.

Garage Lifter
    Kosh,

I'd call around and see if you can get a package deal from someone. You're spending a fair amount of cash and it definitely doesn't hurt to ask.

Some places to check out:
    http://www.snpequipment.com/ - I got my Bench from Scott and its great. Good prices and reasonable shipping. Makes his own stuff and its top quality. Give him an email and I bet he'd work something out with you. He may also have more stuff than listed on the website.
    http://www.roguefitness.com/ - they offer free shipping on some stuff. I've also heard you have a specific set of equipment that you want they'll work with you on a deal
    http://www.ironwoodyfitness.com/ - they are having a sale on plates right now. good price and good plates
    http://www.theg2scart.com/ - good prices and shipping

For a bar, get a good one. You'd bend a cheap bar within a month.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

St, SnP is going to make my rack for me. Scott is great. Very thorough email responses as well. I'm looking into those other sites as well. I don't believe he offers plates, though. And since my basement has a low ceiling, I can't do package deals with alot of these places.
    Last edited by KoSh; 03-23-2010 at 10:49 AM.
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Craigslist is like Ebay, you have to check pretty consistently for awhile before you find exactly what you want

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

We have 3 of the jessup bars. They are a slightly larger diameter than a Texas power bar which annoys some people for benching. They are really good bars though. I'd skip the $800 dumbbells. Just buy dumbbell handles that you can load with weights. Keep your eyes out for gyms going out of business. It's happening with the economy, and they sell stuff cheap.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusWild View Post
    We have 3 of the jessup bars. They are a slightly larger diameter than a Texas power bar which annoys some people for benching. They are really good bars though. I'd skip the $800 dumbbells. Just buy dumbbell handles that you can load with weights. Keep your eyes out for gyms going out of business. It's happening with the economy, and they sell stuff cheap.
    The DB handle idea crossed my mind... But aren't the DBs awkward to handle with bigger weights on them (25s, 35s, 45s)? I've never used them, so I'm not entirely sure how those bad boys work.
    Last edited by KoSh; 03-23-2010 at 11:03 AM.
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Garage Lifter
    Quote Originally Posted by KoSh View Post
    The DB handle idea crossed my mind... But aren't the DBs awkward to handle with bigger weights on them (25s, 35s, 45s)? I've never used them, so I'm not entirely sure how those bad boys work.
    I use mine with 25's and its a little big. Just get a lot of 10lb plates.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    Then I run out of space... I'll be working with weights up into the 100s. Definitely want to make sure that idea is feasible before I pull the trigger heh.
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

At first it is a bit awkward but you get used to the dumbbell handles. You will need to get at least eight 10 lb plates and four (preferably eight) 25's to get decent weight on the dumbbell. Also, make sure that if you find weights on Craigslist that you are getting round plates (at least the 45's). I have some octagonal plates but at least they fit inside a round plate so that there are no issues deadlifting from the floor. How far are you from Elmira, NY? You may want to call New York Barbell and see if they have used plates. There is a NYBB store down here in Hicksville, where I got most of my plates for 50 cents a pound.

Then I run out of space... I'll be working with weights up into the 100s. Definitely want to make sure that idea is feasible before I pull the trigger heh.
    I can easily get mine to load up to 180. I have the DB handles from EFS. I wouldnt waste your money now on the dumbbells.

Also, if I were you I would scrap the dumbbell idea and get a back extension.

Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
    I can easily get mine to load up to 180. I have the DB handles from EFS. I wouldnt waste your money now on the dumbbells.

Also, if I were you I would scrap the dumbbell idea and get a back extension.
    Scrap it altogether, including the handles? I need some sort of dumbbells, heh. If everything goes as planned, I'd be spending a total of around $2,250. For now, that would be awesome. Then I can concentrate on extension and/or a GHR/Reverse Hyper as the next spending spree.
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

No scrap the dumbbell set, get the handles, they are around $120 shipped I believe.

Garage Lifter
    If you're going the route of handles think about thick handles. Get a little grip work in while doing you're accessory lifts.

I got all my equipment from a gym going under. 2000lbs of weight, rack, bench, weight trees and some other small stuff for $1500. It was all used but in good shape (it was a family fitness center haha). I highly recommend you look long and hard for something like this. I seem to come across a gym going under in my area every month or two. Ive bought a few other things as well (such as a better bar).

$1000 on a rack seems expensive if your budget is 3k. You can get a decent rack for a few hundred dollars. I see this rack for sale used all the time for very cheap:
    http://www.afitnessequipment.com/afi...ia/P-PR.lg.jpg even new i bet its cheap.

Ive used it and its fine. The hole spacing is a little big, but if its your gym you can put the rack on some plywood the fine tine it if needed.
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

As I've said, I don't have many options with the rack. My ceiling only allows for 78" and that's touching the boards at the top and with nothing underneath the rack.

The rack I'm going to have made will be cut to 76". It'll only be about $700, but the shipping will be expensive.

There aren't a ton of gyms in the area, but I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Jesup doesn't ship weights anyways, I just got a response via email on shipping costs. That blows.

Might have to get some Iron Woodys, but I don't like the weight increments. Oh well. They're cheap and beggars can't be choosers.
    Last edited by KoSh; 03-23-2010 at 01:31 PM.
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

As I've said, I don't have many options with the rack. My ceiling only allows for 78" and that's touching the boards at the top and with nothing underneath the rack.

The rack I'm going to have made will be cut to 76". It'll only be about $700, but the shipping will be expensive.

There aren't a ton of gyms in the area, but I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Jesup doesn't ship weights anyways, I just got a response via email on shipping costs. That blows.

Might have to get some Iron Woodys, but I don't like the weight increments. Oh well. They're cheap and beggars can't be choosers.
    Elmira is 2 hours from Rochester. Call New York Barbell up and see if they have any used plates. Gas will run you 30 bucks and you can fit the plates in a car.