Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running and squatting

Running and squatting

Need some input.....I don't want to cut back on the calories yet, but I'd like to start trying to lose some fat by running (working into HIT/sprints). I'm squatting on Tuesday and Friday, and I'm not sure how to work the running in. Basically I'm curious about what days NOT to run.

Any day would probably be fine except the day before you squat. Besides that, you will have to gauge your own recovery and troubleshoot from there.
    Sarvamangalam!

That's kinda what I figured except I was thinking not run the day after squatting....because it'd be a recovery period. You're saying that running requires a recovery period similar to lifting? I would have thought a good nap after running and I'd be good to go.

Zen is right...do it after your squats. The running will deplete your energy and impact your leg strength. A simple nap might make you feel refreshed, but that doesn't mean you are recuperated.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

The day after is probably alright. Thats when i do my running and plyo work... but then again, I only lift 2x a week, so I generally have gobs of recovery before my next session. You are going to have to experiment.
    Sarvamangalam!

I run 3 times a week now getting ready for police academy next january and one of those mornings I run then squat later that night around 9pm and I haven't noticed any effect or loss in strength yet.
    January 07-164 pounds
    *Bulking*
    Deccember 07 - 225 pounds

June 08 - 205
    *Currently Cutting*
    Goal-190

November 08-238 pounds
    *Bulking till January 1st*

I Squat mon wed and fri I do HIIT right after my squats and i'm fine.
    [SIZE=".01"][/SIZE][SIZE=".01"][/SIZE][SIZE=".01"]Maintaining/Conditioning
    5'5 146 lbs
    progress pics
    Bench press 315 x 1 Dec. 05 Squat 295 x 1 Dec. 05 Dead Lift405 x 1 Dec 05
    Bench press 325 x 1 Jul. 09 Squat 435 x 1 Jul. 09 Dead Lift 480 x1 July 09
    "No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?"
    "Beef is my favorite animal." -CiteCollegiale

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    I do not recommend HIT sprinting the day after squatting. I see tues and fri as your squatting day. Is that ME and DE?

If I sprint the day after my ME day my legs take too long to recover for my next session. I sprint on MY DE days. I train 4 days a week.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Depends on what type of running, if it's a jog it won't matter, but sprints can take a lot out of you, so I would agree with those who say not to sprint before squatting.
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

O.K., so I finally got around to getting started running. It's not that bad.......I actually think I might enjoy it. I live in a very rural area, and there's a 5 acre (approximate) field right behind my house. 1 lap around the field is around .75 miles. So far it hasn't affected my lifting. From what I've read I need to shoot for an average sustained heart rate of 120bpm for 20 minutes.......am I correct? I don't see building up to that being a problem at all.

Wannabebig Member
    Sprinting or intense running WILL affect your squats in my experience. Gentle running will not.

You cannot get away from fatigue, and it isn't something you can accurately gauge. Anything outside of squatting has the potential to affect squatting, but again I can say for certain that hard running does affect squatting.

EDIT: Everyone else who said sprinting beat me to it.
    Last edited by hairyback40k; 04-08-2010 at 10:08 AM.

It is hard for me to answer your question because I am not sure if just adding some running/ sprinting to your routine is going to help you lose fat. I ran for years in the military and carried my gut every step of the way. The only true way to lose is adjust your diet. You don’t have to cut calories per se, but you might have to relook at how you are getting them.

What does your diet consist of? How much fat are you trying to lose? There are some pretty knowledgeable guys on this forum. I would suggest you reword your question to: I am trying to lose xx pounds of fat without compromising calories. I would include an example of a day’s worth of meals and let these guys evaluate it.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by mike mcgee; 04-21-2010 at 11:27 AM. Reason: word change
    m/37/5'10/194

Back Squat 435lbs
    Shoulder Press 195lbs
    Deadlift 505lbs
    Bench Press 315lb

If you're just looking to lose some fat then complexes may be the way to go. If not then keep experimenting with the running.
    Work hard. Stay humble.

I also would like to mention to really take care of your hip flexors if you begin sprinting.
    Sarvamangalam!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    I also would like to mention to really take care of your hip flexors if you begin sprinting.
    What do u mean by that?

I mean foam roll and stretch them 1-2x daily
    Sarvamangalam!

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    ^ How exactly do you utilize the foam roll properly? I keep hearing how foam roll is such a crucial thing but I'm not really sure what are the best stretches or things to do with it, or why it can help me do things I can't do without a foam roll. Thanks.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Youtube and google foam rolling hip flexors and stretching hip flexors. Then... go foam roll and follow it with stretching.
    Sarvamangalam!

Alright thanks. I've definitely noticed my hip flexors feeling pretty rocked after my deadlifts and sprints.

Also, how do you feel about sprinting on the day of your Squats or Deadlifts (after the lifting of course)? I feel pretty rocked the day after squats or deads, but I'm thinking the day of might be okay. Haven't really tried yet though.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 04-26-2010 at 01:22 AM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Banned
    I know I'm late to the party but I would strongly advise running the day BEFORE squats, and not after.

When I started running last year that was the only way I could do it. Heavy squats will always leave you feeling a bit sore and wasted, but you can go for a 40min run and not feel too bad. You might feel tired but if you stretch lots and eat enough you'll recover quickly. Its not as intense a stress as weightlifting and doesn't require as much recovery. This is why endurance athletes can train so frequently, whereas lifters will train relatively infrequently (ignoring world class olympic weightlifters who squat 14 times a week). Weight training causes more damage to the muscles and if you want a rest day it should be following that.

The easy way is just to go try it. Go for a run, cool down properly, then attempt a squat session the next day. You won't feel a difference. Try going for a run the day after a heavy squat session, and you're legs will feel weak and be killing you.

You can mess around with your programme and increase your ability to cope with the new stress, but generally speaking you will be much better off running the day before not after.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I know I'm late to the party but I would strongly advise running the day BEFORE squats, and not after.

When I started running last year that was the only way I could do it. Heavy squats will always leave you feeling a bit sore and wasted, but you can go for a 40min run and not feel too bad. You might feel tired but if you stretch lots and eat enough you'll recover quickly. Its not as intense a stress as weightlifting and doesn't require as much recovery. This is why endurance athletes can train so frequently, whereas lifters will train relatively infrequently (ignoring world class olympic weightlifters who squat 14 times a week). Weight training causes more damage to the muscles and if you want a rest day it should be following that.

The easy way is just to go try it. Go for a run, cool down properly, then attempt a squat session the next day. You won't feel a difference. Try going for a run the day after a heavy squat session, and you're legs will feel weak and be killing you.

You can mess around with your programme and increase your ability to cope with the new stress, but generally speaking you will be much better off running the day before not after.
    I do reckon that "running" the day before squats would be fine, but the OP questioned high intensity sprints, which is what I'm also wondering about myself. Surely doing sprints would be more neurally draining and fatiguing in a weightlifting recovery standpoint than "doing a 40 minute run" would be.
    Lifting Journal

Banned
    Ah, good point.

I still reckon that sprints will be less stressful than weight-training, but I generally run 20-60min so we're dealing with different activities.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    Youtube and google foam rolling hip flexors and stretching hip flexors. Then... go foam roll and follow it with stretching.
    So watching this video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nAwlsctqBs what exactly does foam rolling the hip flexor do? I have been doing the kneeling hip flexor stretch daily for the past month or two, but don't understand why the foam roll is so important. You're not actually stretching on the foam roller, just rolling back and forth on the hip flexor? Why does that help?
    Lifting Journal

Last edited by ZenMonkey; 04-27-2010 at 07:17 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Should I get a high density foam roller? Is 18" length long enough? I read that high density last the longest and will give the deepest massage. Just want to be sure before purchasing though which you guys recommend for tight hip flexors and what not.
    Lifting Journal