The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Critique Full body workout- somewhat abbreviated routine

What do you guys think of this? I have 1 main push/1 main pull per workout, as well as a squat or lunge. My arms are lagging like hell so i added them in there, and calves i like to work more than most people and want some growth. Not yet sure about rep range, but my current full body routine has me squatting 3 days a week and i think it's a bit much. Any advice is more than appreciated! Thanks.

I'll also hit abs when time permits.

Sunday
    Back Squat
    Military Press- PUSH
    Rows- PULL
    Triceps
    Standing Calves

Tuesday
    Deadlift- PULL
    Dips- PUSH
    Lunges
    Biceps

Thursday
    Front Squat
    Bench Press- PUSH
    Weighted Pullups- PULL
    Seated Calves
    Last edited by JRider23; 03-26-2010 at 05:14 PM. Reason: title.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

looks like something i would do and have done over the years. abbreviated routines have served me real well.

my only suggestion is to add in some more secondary leg work -- lunges on deadlift day are good, but for your other two days you can add something in addition to squats/calves (since calf raises are very low-tax). something hamstring/glute oriented would be great since those tend to get left behind by most folks who don't do any specific work on them. so GHRs, Reverse Hypers, and Good Mornings would be my top recommendations (in that order). if you don't have equipment to do GHRs/RHs and don't want to go ghetto with them, leg curls are also a worthwhile movement, contrary to what some might tell you.

ex.
    Sunday
    Back Squat
    Military Press- PUSH
    Rows- PULL
    Triceps
    Glute-Ham Raises
    Standing Calves

Tuesday
    Deadlift- PULL
    Dips- PUSH
    Lunges
    Biceps

Thursday
    Front Squat
    Bench Press- PUSH
    Weighted Pullups- PULL
    Reverse Hypers
    Seated Calves

other than that, just be smart with your set/rep scheme. don't **** up by doing too much volume.
    ::::::::::::::::::::Updated 9-16-11::::::::::::::::::::
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 408 Squat Max @ 370
    CG Bench 1x7 @ 225 Power Clean Max @ 235
    W Chinups 3x10 @ +50 Dips 1x5 @ +115

Height - 6'3 Weight - 194lbs Age - 21

"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

Quote Originally Posted by Dgro View Post
    looks like something i would do and have done over the years. abbreviated routines have served me real well.

my only suggestion is to add in some more secondary leg work -- lunges on deadlift day are good, but for your other two days you can add something in addition to squats/calves (since calf raises are very low-tax). something hamstring/glute oriented would be great since those tend to get left behind by most folks who don't do any specific work on them. so GHRs, Reverse Hypers, and Good Mornings would be my top recommendations (in that order). if you don't have equipment to do GHRs/RHs and don't want to go ghetto with them, leg curls are also a worthwhile movement, contrary to what some might tell you.

ex.
    Sunday
    Back Squat
    Military Press- PUSH
    Rows- PULL
    Triceps
    Glute-Ham Raises
    Standing Calves

Tuesday
    Deadlift- PULL
    Dips- PUSH
    Lunges
    Biceps

Thursday
    Front Squat
    Bench Press- PUSH
    Weighted Pullups- PULL
    Reverse Hypers
    Seated Calves

other than that, just be smart with your set/rep scheme. don't **** up by doing too much volume.
    Thanks man. I actually originally had pullthroughs on Thursday, but then took them out because i wasn't sure if lunges/deads were enough.

Do you think it's necessary to have 4 glute/ham movements in the routine? Deads/Lunges/Hypers/Pullthroughs? I don't think i really want to do ghetto GHRs- seen people do them and they don't seem like something i'd like to put into my routine.

it's really just a suggestion. I find I can add GHRs and Reverse Hypers without having any recovery issues, and it has helped my lagging hammies a good bit. If I were you I'd at least add one on Thursday since Front Squats are less taxing than Squats/Deads (so your legs should be plenty fresh) and you have two days rest after. 3 glute/ham movements shouldn't be too much... but it's up to you

I don't blame you for skipping ghetto GHRs either. I love GHRs but I really need the machine to get the most out of it.
    ::::::::::::::::::::Updated 9-16-11::::::::::::::::::::
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 408 Squat Max @ 370
    CG Bench 1x7 @ 225 Power Clean Max @ 235
    W Chinups 3x10 @ +50 Dips 1x5 @ +115

Height - 6'3 Weight - 194lbs Age - 21

"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

Quote Originally Posted by Dgro View Post
    it's really just a suggestion. I find I can add GHRs and Reverse Hypers without having any recovery issues, and it has helped my lagging hammies a good bit. If I were you I'd at least add one on Thursday since Front Squats are less taxing than Squats/Deads (so your legs should be plenty fresh) and you have two days rest after. 3 glute/ham movements shouldn't be too much... but it's up to you

I don't blame you for skipping ghetto GHRs either. I love GHRs but I really need the machine to get the most out of it.
    Alright thanks man. I'll probably give hypers a shot and keep pullthroughs as i like those.

With the addition of this, would you say this routine is sufficient?