Thread: raw bench westside options

raw bench westside options

I need to start doing some more max effort work...Gotta start handling heavier weights. The STRENGTH says it's there but it's not on max attempts.

I was thinking of a closed grip rotation with reverse bands, chains, then raw,

then next rotation switching to comp grip the following month.

I also though about using the "koji" idea and suspending light kettlebells while benching to get better stabilization...

just trying to come up with ideas which i'm having a hard time doing.
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

where is your sticking point?

what about ME work against bands? or ME boardwork against bands/chains..
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

So wait, you've been doing Westside but not max effort work? Or you're just starting?\

The close grip stuff would be good to build tricep strength, which of course is needed, but you shouldn't neglect the wider grips for a whole month. I would say mix the two grips.

Bands and chains would be great for handling more weight and overloading the CNS, but I would say do more full range movements, since you're training for raw benching.

The CNS and being able to handle heavy weights is a pretty important part of a one rep max, you should see good results using the max effort method in your training!
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

yeah i haven't done max effort work in a long time. I'm not a big fan of bands outside of reverse but I do like some chains! I will be using more straight weight and less chain due to the fact I am raw benching and everything will be full range. I've experienced the effects of not doing so in my career once already.

Look at the article Matt Rhodes wrote about Vincent Dizenzo called 600lbs of Raw Bench (don't hold me to the title, but it's close) on EFS.

When I'm away from a meet and just doing a normal rotation I like to do something like this:

Week 1 - Full Range (bench v. bands, bench v. chains, reverse bands, floor press etc.)
    Week 2 - Partial Range (2 or 3 board, add bands or chains to boards, reverse band w/ board)
    Week 3 - Shirt Work (usually touch a weight and then go to 1/2/3 board for a max)

I do almost all of my raw work with a closer than comp grip, but I keep track of various grip records. If I was training strictly for raw bench I would stick w/ the full range/partial range work and then alternate them week to week. If I was doing reverse band work I would limit it to a miniband/monstermini/light band. Anything more is more useful for shirted benching IMO.
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

Not sure where your sticking point is, but have you thought about throwing in floor presses or 2-board into your rotation? Full-range max effort work every week could be pretty tough on your shoulders/pecs. I'd throw in the chains and reverse bands occasionally like you're doing, but for I'd stick with straight weight for a majority of your max effort work.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

floor presses are out..along with inclines. they really aggrevate my shoulder. My bands take off 25lbs-ish off my chest when setup which I like. Just enough to save the shoulder when I do anything close grip. I'm thinking I'll rotate reverse bands, chains, and straight weight. Should I rotate them weekly and then deload or do a month of each?

Reverse bands aren't super helpful for raw benchers in my opinion. If it's only taking off 25lbs at the chest, it's really not achieving the purpose of reverse bands anyways.

Benching against the bands is much more productive.

You need to rotate your exercises weekly. Doing them for a month straight will make it extremely difficult to hit a PR each week.

Accessory work of heavy dumbbells is helpful as can be close grip boards to help with sticking points.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Reverse bands aren't super helpful for raw benchers in my opinion. If it's only taking off 25lbs at the chest, it's really not achieving the purpose of reverse bands anyways.

You need to rotate your exercises weekly. Doing them for a month straight will make it extremely difficult to hit a PR each week.
    Agreed

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post

Accessory work of heavy dumbbells is helpful as can be close grip boards to help with sticking points.
    I remember seeing most of this advice a few months ago. And, it pretty much tells you all you need to do.

Awesome thread! I am just starting a RAW cycle myself and had a similar question... Gonna hang-up the shirt for a while since the next comp. isnt till August.

I gotta tell ya' the heavy DB work will get you sore as he** if you're not used to it!

Esp. front delts/ pecs... Even my lats where screaming the next day!
    RC