Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: My school can really piss me off sometimes

  1. #1
    Airsofter & Paintballer
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    AC, KS
    Posts
    332

    My school can really piss me off sometimes

    So this year I'm a freshman at my highschool. I've loved lifting (even though I didn't take it too seriously untill about a year ago) and just about any other kind of exercise since I was about 11. I'm looking forward to highschool because I know that they have a much better lifting room and equipment, and one of my problems with lifting is that it always seems like I'm short on time in the afternoon, so I think that now I can get it done at school. But guess what? Apparently, for no reason at all, freshmen can't take a weights class. But I guess if you intend on playing football your sophomore year you get to take a weights class for second semester. But if you don't then you can't. Now tell me if you see the flaws in my train of thought but I don't see how that makes any sense.

    It's not about safety precautions because freshman aren't any worse than sophomores or the upper-classmen. And I can garuntee you that I'd be a lot safer doing it than most kids in my school would be. But if that is their reasoning behind it then their just a bunch of arrogant pricks that are too lazy to think things out.

    And like I mentioned before, I don't have time to play sports because I'm busy afterschool untill about 8PM most days. So playing football isn't an option (even though I can kick some serious ass as a lineman).

    Anyone have any light to shed on the issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    I've been bulking for about 10 years
    Quote Originally Posted by backseatwitme13 View Post
    so how long do you cut?
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    What's a cut?

  2. #2
    student of the game Runty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,152
    Tell them you're planning on playing football then don't. Solves at least the second semester issue. As for first semester not sure exactly how you'd go about arguing your point(which is a valid one) that chances are you're more competent in a weight room than 90% of any age high school students. Probably have to work you're way through the advising/student service offices, get on someones good side, then just slide into a sophomore class or something.

    I wish I would have been as passionate about lifting at such an early age, good luck getting it figured out.
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

  3. #3
    Da Bears slashkills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Joliet, IL
    Posts
    2,749
    I dont why but your not allowed to take weightlifting until junior year at my school. Im not sure what their reasoning is but ive heard coaches mention getting the standards reqs. out of the way before taking P.E electives. Can you go during gym? If its a public highschool im assuming you have a dean assigned to you. Go talk to yours and see if he/she can do anything for you. Explain your situation to them and maybe they can work something out.
    Last edited by slashkills; 03-19-2010 at 06:14 AM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Sensei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7,644
    Let's be frank here, the high school weight room exists, much of the time, because of and for the school's athletic teams. Open weight room time is usually pretty limited and if you aren't on a sport, coaches and teachers are generally not going to be as accommodating. Unfair? Yes. Justifiable? Yes.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

  5. #5
    Get Some! KoSh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    585
    Posts
    1,928
    As a high school football coach, I completely understand where your school is coming from. Those kids play football. They get additional perks. It's a reward for being an extra curricular athlete. I'm sure most of them don't have the time, either, but they choose to make the time. Good for them.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

  6. #6
    Become Unbreakable Mark!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dallas Area, TX
    Posts
    3,628
    Quote Originally Posted by KoSh View Post
    As a high school football coach, I completely understand where your school is coming from. Those kids play football. They get additional perks. It's a reward for being an extra curricular athlete. I'm sure most of them don't have the time, either, but they choose to make the time. Good for them.
    All 4 years in high school, I played ball. Our coach absolutely HATED to see someone in there working out that wasn't an athlete. He wasn't too high on soccer players in there either, said "soccer requires running and leg power, go run and build up leg power." He would yell and cuss at those that weren't football,baseball, or soccer players until they left, ha, he was always on someones ass it seems. They never classified the weight room as open or closed, it was just there. Good times. Your situation really sucks man, but why not try and make some time to play some ball? It's understandable if you just can't do to other engagements, but if it's because you hang with a girl or buddies, you gotta prioritize what you want.
    "Light Weight"

    260's by May

  7. #7
    WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    Posts
    4,404
    When I was in HS our weight room was open, but sports teams had priority. Football worked out in the afternoon and it was reserved only for the football team. Each and every sport had their time. We also offered weight training courses that anyone was eligible to take which made it good for anyone wanting to use it.
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

    Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

    Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

    Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

    "Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

  8. #8
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    All 4 years in high school, I played ball. Our coach absolutely HATED to see someone in there working out that wasn't an athlete. He wasn't too high on soccer players in there either, said "soccer requires running and leg power, go run and build up leg power." He would yell and cuss at those that weren't football,baseball, or soccer players until they left, ha, he was always on someones ass it seems. They never classified the weight room as open or closed, it was just there. Good times. Your situation really sucks man, but why not try and make some time to play some ball? It's understandable if you just can't do to other engagements, but if it's because you hang with a girl or buddies, you gotta prioritize what you want.
    Sounds like we can add your coach to the long list of high school football coaches who are total douchebags. It's understandable that the football team should get their time in the weight room, but that's like intimidating kids to keep them out of the computer lab because they're not in the school's Computer Club.

    It's sounds just like my HS football coach. And my college strength coach. I guess that field draws a certain type of people. They need to be reminded every so often that they're high school teachers, not NFL coaches. And the kids are just kids, and shouldn't be treated like crap just because they have non-sports priorities or interests (like working, taking care of younger siblings, etc.). In a public school, a kid who prefers theater over baseball still has the right to exercise in taxpayer-purchased facilities. That's my opinion anyway.

    If the reason they don't let you use the weight room is because of safety, then I'd probably let it go and find somewhere else to work out. But if it's because they won't make time for non-athletes to lift, then I'd fight it.

  9. #9
    Footballer
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Mt. Pleasant, MI.
    Posts
    1,432
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    Sounds like we can add your coach to the long list of high school football coaches who are total douchebags. It's understandable that the football team should get their time in the weight room, but that's like intimidating kids to keep them out of the computer lab because they're not in the school's Computer Club.

    It's sounds just like my HS football coach. And my college strength coach. I guess that field draws a certain type of people. They need to be reminded every so often that they're high school teachers, not NFL coaches. And the kids are just kids, and shouldn't be treated like crap just because they have non-sports priorities or interests (like working, taking care of younger siblings, etc.). In a public school, a kid who prefers theater over baseball still has the right to exercise in taxpayer-purchased facilities. That's my opinion anyway.

    If the reason they don't let you use the weight room is because of safety, then I'd probably let it go and find somewhere else to work out. But if it's because they won't make time for non-athletes to lift, then I'd fight it.
    Do you go to a small college where varsity sports and general population share the same weightroom?
    Calgary Stampeder!
    Formerly a CMU Chippewa!

  10. #10
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRic View Post
    Do you go to a small college where varsity sports and general population share the same weightroom?

    I don't anymore. But I did go to a small university with a weight room shared by all the sports and the general population.

  11. #11
    Become Unbreakable Mark!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dallas Area, TX
    Posts
    3,628
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    I don't anymore. But I did go to a small university with a weight room shared by all the sports and the general population.
    At A&M Commerce, they just built an awesome fitness center, the size of a 24 hour fitness on their campus. I loved that place, however I rarely took advantage of it. Didn't start lifting till I was gone.
    "Light Weight"

    260's by May

  12. #12
    Airsofter & Paintballer
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    AC, KS
    Posts
    332
    Sorry been busy ain't had time to check on this

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    Your situation really sucks man, but why not try and make some time to play some ball? It's understandable if you just can't do to other engagements, but if it's because you hang with a girl or buddies, you gotta prioritize what you want.
    I hardly have time to hang with friends. I work part time as a carryout at Dillons, and I'm also going to be starting part time out with an engineer in my town. I'm looking to get into some form of engineering when I get older and one of the teachers at my school (who isn't even my teacher, another one of mine recommended me to him) recommends particularly sharp students who show interest in the subject to the engineer. His name's Cliff Gottlob (sp?) if you want to look him up. His name is all over in corvette racing. Anyways, right now we just go there afterschool when we have time and he teaches us different stuff. And on top of those two I exercise almost everyday and have to do homework. So that usually keeps me busy until anywhere from 5-9pm depending on what day. And sports are almost always right after school. Not exactly much time for it. And that's now that I quit doing speed school afterschool which lasted untill 4:30.

    But I have been asked about why I don't play football, track, cross-country, and why I quit soccer, basketball, and baseball all on a regular basis. Which definately helps with self-esteem and confidence man I'll tell you that much. The football coach taught speed school and he was constantly asking me what he had to do to play football because I was the fastest kid there and stronger than almost all of his freshman players (save my friend and one other person).

    As for the weights class it's pretty much too late for me to do anything about it unless I just want to help future freshman. The only time the room is unlocked is when a class or sport is in there and I really don't want to be rude and just get in their way. Which brings us back to what KoSh said, which makes sense. I see where they deserve certain perks and their own time in there but I think there should be some sort of designated time they allow other students to go in there.
    Last edited by TremL96; 03-20-2010 at 07:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    I've been bulking for about 10 years
    Quote Originally Posted by backseatwitme13 View Post
    so how long do you cut?
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    What's a cut?

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    657
    I think if you calmly and without any attitude go to your principal and raise this issue with him given all the information we have seen, you will earn an exception to the rule.

    Rules are not meant to be fair, they are put in place to solve specific issues but sometimes there's a greater good.

  14. #14
    A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,715
    When I was a freshman the seniors kicked our little freshmen ass out of the weightroom all the time. When I was a senior we kicked the little freshmans ass out of the weightroom all the time. A lot of the time the coach would tell us not to let anyone in but seniors haha..
    Last edited by ThomasG; 03-21-2010 at 10:44 AM.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

  15. #15
    Senior Member Phenom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,062
    I agree with the 'say you're gonna play football idea.' But it's probably a space issue. The schools trying to keep it from getting over crowded I guess since there's no fee to work out there. And who better to screw over than the freshmen?
    Age: 23 - Weight: 237 lbs - Height: 6'1''

    S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

    "Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

  16. #16
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    19
    Do whatever you can, in worst scenario you can still work out at home, although that would s*ck.

  17. #17
    Get Some! KoSh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    585
    Posts
    1,928
    Don't tell them you're going to play unless you're going to play. You'll have a lot of people lose respect for you REAL quick.

    I'm the type of guy who doesn't really care if you like me or not, but I'd like everyone to respect the way I do things and appreciate my honesty. If you're at all like that, don't go that route.

    We have guys who have done that and I can't even look them in the face. I put alot of time in for those kids and they turn around and say, "Well, I never intended on being on the team anyways, I just wanted free personal training."

    Granted, you wouldn't be doing that, but you would be in their space.

    Do whatever you think is right, but that's just some advice from me.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NW Iowa
    Posts
    216
    I for one have a problem with kids being "left out" of the weightroom because they do not want to go out for a sport.Sure we would like to have every kid that comes into the gym to go out,but why not let others come in a lift,so long as they don't cause any problems? I have had meetings with both the school super.and AD about this exact same thing.I open 2 days a week,and during those days anybody that wants to come in a work hard will come in.Most times you find out by working with the football team,etc,they go out anyway.
    Here is what I have a bigger problem with. Lazy kids with all the talent in the world that dink around in the weightroom,or don't even come in and lift on a regular basis.
    Keith,how do you handle that as a coach? Do you tell your football players they better lift or don't bother going out? The reason I ask is I like to hear what others do with kids that are out for sports that rarely lift.

    Ryan Hale

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NW Iowa
    Posts
    216
    I for one have a problem with kids being "left out" of the weightroom because they do not want to go out for a sport.Sure we would like to have every kid that comes into the gym to go out,but why not let others come in a lift,so long as they don't cause any problems? I have had meetings with both the school super.and AD about this exact same thing.I open 2 days a week,and during those days anybody that wants to come in a work hard will come in.Most times you find out by working with the football team,etc,they go out anyway.
    Here is what I have a bigger problem with. Lazy kids with all the talent in the world that dink around in the weightroom,or don't even come in and lift on a regular basis.
    Keith,how do you handle that as a coach? Do you tell your football players they better lift or don't bother going out? The reason I ask is I like to hear what others do with kids that are out for sports that rarely lift.

    Ryan Hale

  20. #20
    Senior Member Sensei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7,644
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Hale View Post
    I for one have a problem with kids being "left out" of the weightroom because they do not want to go out for a sport.Sure we would like to have every kid that comes into the gym to go out,but why not let others come in a lift,so long as they don't cause any problems? I have had meetings with both the school super.and AD about this exact same thing.I open 2 days a week,and during those days anybody that wants to come in a work hard will come in.Most times you find out by working with the football team,etc,they go out anyway.
    I agree with you completely. However, finding competent (and cheap) supervision is not so easy.

    Here is what I have a bigger problem with. Lazy kids with all the talent in the world that dink around in the weightroom,or don't even come in and lift on a regular basis.
    Keith,how do you handle that as a coach? Do you tell your football players they better lift or don't bother going out? The reason I ask is I like to hear what others do with kids that are out for sports that rarely lift.

    Ryan Hale
    Ryan,
    I'm sure you know that there are potential issues with 'requiring' outside practice time - not just IHSCAA, but issues that actually matter, like family income, younger siblings, etc. Where you're at may be different, and of course there are all kinds, but there's only so much you can 'require' of a kid who's actually a breadwinner for his family, for example.
    IMHO, the best you can do is run a program that gets dramatic results - the kids will be fighting to get into the gym if they know that it's effective.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

  21. #21
    Hungry like the wolf. Dgro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    749
    heh, this reminds me of my old high school. we weren't even allowed to use the ****ing basketball courts, ever, unless you were on the team (and then only with supervision -- showing up early to get in some shooting practice before school, for example, was not allowed). gym class was not required or even offered beyond freshman year. i thought physical activity was encouraged? society gets me all pissy
    ::::::::::::::::::::Updated 9-16-11::::::::::::::::::::
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 408 Squat Max @ 370
    CG Bench 1x7 @ 225 Power Clean Max @ 235
    W Chinups 3x10 @ +50 Dips 1x5 @ +115

    Height - 6'3 Weight - 194lbs Age - 21

    "I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

  22. #22
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by KoSh View Post
    Don't tell them you're going to play unless you're going to play. You'll have a lot of people lose respect for you REAL quick.

    I'm the type of guy who doesn't really care if you like me or not, but I'd like everyone to respect the way I do things and appreciate my honesty. If you're at all like that, don't go that route.

    We have guys who have done that and I can't even look them in the face. I put alot of time in for those kids and they turn around and say, "Well, I never intended on being on the team anyways, I just wanted free personal training."

    Granted, you wouldn't be doing that, but you would be in their space.

    Do whatever you think is right, but that's just some advice from me.
    I agree with this. Whether or not I like their policy, I wouldn't stoop to lying about my intentions.

  23. #23
    Airsofter & Paintballer
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    AC, KS
    Posts
    332
    Quote Originally Posted by KoSh View Post
    Don't tell them you're going to play unless you're going to play. You'll have a lot of people lose respect for you REAL quick.

    I'm the type of guy who doesn't really care if you like me or not, but I'd like everyone to respect the way I do things and appreciate my honesty. If you're at all like that, don't go that route.

    We have guys who have done that and I can't even look them in the face. I put alot of time in for those kids and they turn around and say, "Well, I never intended on being on the team anyways, I just wanted free personal training."

    Granted, you wouldn't be doing that, but you would be in their space.

    Do whatever you think is right, but that's just some advice from me.
    I feel the same you do KoSh. I wouldn't really want to lie to them because the football coach knows me and half of my friends are on the team and I'd hate to lie to them just to get into the gym (although I wouldn't care about the rest of the team hating me since most of them are preps n douchebags as it is). And it's already halfway through the second semester as it is, although I have given some thought to going and talking to the principal about opening weights classes to all freshman in the off chance that some other kid down the road might end up in the same spot as me.

    Either way I'm lifting at home and still see just as good results as they do there. It's just a matter of free time. It kind of sucks when something just pops up a couple days before it happens and I'm going to be busy working, learning, or exercising. But whatever. It'll smooth out later down the road.
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    I've been bulking for about 10 years
    Quote Originally Posted by backseatwitme13 View Post
    so how long do you cut?
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    What's a cut?

  24. #24
    Get Some! KoSh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    585
    Posts
    1,928
    Trem,

    You seem like a fairly mature guy. You'll be alright.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

  25. #25
    hmm, I like to be big!!!
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,236
    People always act like stuff in the schools is a privilege but actually since your parents property taxes paid for all of their stuff they should allow you to use the weight room. Additionally, I'm fairly sure truancy laws mean you have to actually go to school or risk getting arrested, meaning, someone forced your parents to pay and now they're forcing you to go. I don't really see how they get along banning kids from using sports equipment. I mean, I can understand HOW and WHY it happens, but looking at it deeply sort of makes me wonder how right it is at all.
    Last edited by nejar462; 03-24-2010 at 01:18 PM.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

    American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

    feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

    Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

Similar Threads

  1. Diary of a The Bar Bender: Old School effort, and New School Science
    By BigCorey75 in forum Member Online Journals
    Replies: 137
    Last Post: 10-15-2009, 08:48 AM
  2. Does anything piss you off more than this?
    By KobeWillVindic8 in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-24-2005, 02:59 AM
  3. this'll piss ya off
    By Fart Barker in forum General Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-10-2002, 09:18 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •