Thread: Peaking using conjugate / Westside method

Wannabebig Member

Peaking using conjugate / Westside method

Hi guys, a little help/input if you would be so kind:

I have only ever previously peaked for meets using either linear periodisation (so reducing reps and increasing the %'age as you get closer to a meet) or Sheiko style training (hitting 95% 3-4 wks out then tapering vol and intensity down towards the meet).

This cycle out I am trying ME days for the first time. I am conjugating the periodisation and rotating excersises every week. What i am unsure of is how guys peak for meets with this method.

I mean, you're hitting maxes every week anyway, so its not like you need to cycle up the intensity and reduce the volume is it? Also, i would personally feel uncomfortable if my last sq before a meet was (say) to a box with a SSB.

I have 2 meets coming up, one raw and one eqp.

I figure for the raw one, i hit a max full ROM DL maybe 3 wks out, a max full ROM sq 2 wks out, then just hit my openers on sq and DL the weekend before the meet? Then deload the meet week?

I have NO IDEA how it's supposed to work with equipment. This time out i will have new, tighter kit to break in too...

Any help on either the raw or eqp programming would be appreciated.

Thanks

You can use Westside raw or geared, you'll just have different weaknesses, and be hitting different movements.

Start using the straight bar more closer to the meet
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Use the straight bar more as Lones said. Also use your gear more closer to the meet. A way to take openers is....

M-MES/DL - squat opener & dead opener (if you feel like you need to take them)
    W-MEB - bench opener full gear
    F-DES - normal speed squat workout
    S-DEB - normal speed bench workout
    M-MES/DL - off or deload workout
    W-MEB - off or deload workout
    F-DES - off
    Saturday - Meet

That's just one way to do it. I think the real trick is too use your gear periodically throughout the training cycle so it isn't foreign to you. You have to find the best way to do this for yourself. I always liked putting on my squat gear after speed squat for a few reps. There is also nothing wrong with doing a "skills day" where instead of max effort work you just do some doubles or sub-max singles in your full gear. You just have to find the best way to do this for you.
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks guys.

Adam thats exactly the kind of thing i was looking for, thanks.

What do you guys think of running a realisation block prior to the meet, similar to what Jeremy Frey recommends, so somthing like:

Wks 1-8: Conjugated ME work
    Wk 9: 90ish % x 4 x 2
    Wk 10: 95ish % x 3 x 1
    Wk 11: 97ish % x1
    Wk 12: 75% raw x 3 x 2
    Wk 13 deload / Meet

So the conjugated ME stuff could be with a variety of bars, boxes etc. but the realisation block would be straight up competition lifts.

Thoughts?

I personally don't think I would do that. If I was going to use block periodization then I'd use that as my main method of training. One block builds upon the next. I don't think you can just do a "peaking block" for four weeks having not done the other blocks. I could be wrong.
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

I think it boils down to your experience with gear. Some people don't need much "competition" style work. Others need a lot of it.

Personally, I like to squat and bench in full gear once a month. I don't feel the need to work to a competition style max in training though. Save that for the platform where it counts. The last month I get in full gear twice. That gets me in full gear 4 times if I train for 12 weeks or 5 times in 16 weeks.

My shirted bench work is mostly 2-bd, because it's always been within 20 lbs of what I hit at the meet. I'll touch my opener once during that last month. If I had a bigger gap between 2-bd and full ROM or issue touching, then I'd touch a lot more often. Some guys in the gym touch at least 1 rep every time they shirt up.

For deadlift, I use a 3" deficit deadlift. I know what I hit before prior meets, and what I hit at those meets. I've always pulled a lot less in the gym than at meets, so doing a competition style deadlift in the gym was just frustrating.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamBAG View Post
    One block builds upon the next. I don't think you can just do a "peaking block" for four weeks having not done the other blocks. I could be wrong.
    Hmm not sure about that...

The block before realisation would be accumulation. Thats pretty much just a fancy way for saying 'getting stronger', in the same way that 'realisation' is another word for 'peaking'.

If we think that conjugated ME work is an appropriate way to build strength (i.e. accumulation), then it seems to me that it follows logically that a realisation block is appropriate after some time spent doing it?

Im not a block periodisation expert by any means but thats my take. If anyone knows better please let me know!
    Last edited by Ben F Burgess; 03-30-2010 at 02:16 PM.

Usually in block periodization, accumulation refers to accumulation of fatigue. These blocks are typical high to very high volume, but relatively low in intensity (i.e. no real ME work). Transmution is usually next, which decreases the volume some and starts increasing the intensity, but you're still likely not doing a true max effort. Realization is typically where you peak and use high intensity (90%+), but your volume is relatively low. The system is designed so that the "conditioning" effect of the accumulation block gets you in shape to handle frequent high intensity loads later in the cycle.
    I think Adam is right in that you don't want to just throw in a realization block if you haven't done the other preparatory blocks prior to it. I also think Marcus is correct in that the real factor is how much training you need in full gear. You also need to factor in how early you start tapering down and when you take your last heavy lifts. For example, I take my SQ opener ~3 weeks out, my DL opener ~3-4 weeks out, and my BP opener ~2.5 weeks out with equipment. For a raw meet I might move those lifts one week closer to the meet. I would never, ever take my openers only a week before the meet in any circumstance, but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean S View Post
    Usually in block periodization, accumulation refers to accumulation of fatigue. These blocks are typical high to very high volume, but relatively low in intensity (i.e. no real ME work). Transmution is usually next, which decreases the volume some and starts increasing the intensity, but you're still likely not doing a true max effort. Realization is typically where you peak and use high intensity (90%+), but your volume is relatively low. The system is designed so that the "conditioning" effect of the accumulation block gets you in shape to handle frequent high intensity loads later in the cycle.
    I think Adam is right in that you don't want to just throw in a realization block if you haven't done the other preparatory blocks prior to it. I also think Marcus is correct in that the real factor is how much training you need in full gear. You also need to factor in how early you start tapering down and when you take your last heavy lifts. For example, I take my SQ opener ~3 weeks out, my DL opener ~3-4 weeks out, and my BP opener ~2.5 weeks out with equipment. For a raw meet I might move those lifts one week closer to the meet. I would never, ever take my openers only a week before the meet in any circumstance, but that's just me.
    This is right on.

Wannabebig Member
    Sean, great info - thank you. It looks like i need to do some more reading about the block periodisation.

Given that Ive been doing pretty much ME work recently (with some RE work at 75-85% on the other sessions) and my upcoming comp is a raw meet, would you instead then just recommend something more like this:

4 Wk out: conjugated ME work
    3 Wk out: dl opener, ME bench
    2 Wk out: sq opener, bench opener
    1 Wk out: taper down eg. 70% doubles
    Comp wk: deload
    Last edited by Ben F Burgess; 04-01-2010 at 12:59 PM.

Assuming you are proficient in your gear, I think that would work fine. If not, add in some specific gear work 5-8 weeks out to get comfortable with it, but you can probably leave your openers scheduled as you have planned. If you're lifting raw, what you have should work fine.

Wannabebig Member
    Assuming you are proficient in your gear, I think that would work fine. If not, add in some specific gear work 5-8 weeks out to get comfortable with it, but you can probably leave your openers scheduled as you have planned. If you're lifting raw, what you have should work fine.
    Thanks Sean, i'll go with that.