The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar

Lever Belts - Need Opinions

I have a worn out 10mm APT single prong and it is not giving me enough support, so I have decided to upgrade and go with a lever belt but am debating between 10mm and 13mm as well as a couple of different brands.

Here are the options...

Titan Toro Lever Belt 10 mm - $64
    Inzer Forever Lever Belt 10 mm - $67
    Inzer Forever Lever Belt 13 mm - $89
    Safe USA Lever Belt 10-13 mm ? - $89

I am thinking that I will probably go with the TORO if I go 10mm, and will go with the Forever belt if I go 13 mm.

Can anyone who currently has any of these belts provide a testimonial?

Thank you in advance for any replies.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

powerlifter in training Liftersize's Avatar
    I have a 13 mm toro single prong and it has been great. But i don't have much experience with other belts. However i dont know if it is just because i am so skinny but based on how much i ate and water i drank that day i move between holes 4 and 5. That could be a real pain to change with a lever belt.
    Current Stats: 6'1 185
    Deadlift 480 Bench 280 Squat 365 Raw Total: 1,125
    Front Squat 295
    My New Journal!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...49#post2331749

I was told every time you wanted to change the size, you gotta take the lever off and reposition it. I'll be dieting forever so it'd not be a wise choice for me. I don't know how your weight fluctuates Tom, and surely you've thought about that as well. Having to use a screwdriver to adjust it everytime would be a hassle.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Thank you for the replies so far.

I will still keep my 10mm APT belt and use it when I want a loose belt for certain strongman events or gym lifts, but I want to have a belt that provides greater support and is easy to tighten for some things like Yoke, Squats, etc.

Forever belt all day long. I have the 10mm and it's fine for what I need. Sounds like you'd want the 13. It's not that hard to adjust. I used to keep a screwdriver in my bag. That's DD's job now. He's the man! He's like the Macgyver of powerlifting.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Have to agree with Vin. I've had a Forever belt for the last 3 years and it's never given me one problem. I think mine is the 13mm belt. Very supportive. Although to be honest, for deadlifting I find it to be a little wide for my short torso. Kinda puts a lot of pressure between my ribs and my hips. Might be something to keep in mind as far as the width since we are about the same height

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I have an elite single prong, and it's a pretty tough belt. I've had the 13MM Inzer forever belt too. That's a pain if you wear gear because I had to adjust it for lifting raw, just briefs, or briefs and suit. I had to adjust it almost every workout. It'd probably be fine for strongman, since you aren't a gear whore.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Have to agree with Vin. I've had a Forever belt for the last 3 years and it's never given me one problem. I think mine is the 13mm belt. Very supportive. Although to be honest, for deadlifting I find it to be a little wide for my short torso. Kinda puts a lot of pressure between my ribs and my hips. Might be something to keep in mind as far as the width since we are about the same height
    Ditto. I have the same issue deadlifting with the 13cm Forever belt. Although to be honest, mine still needs some breaking in.

Wannabebig Member
    I have a 10mm Inzer forever belt. I'm very happy with it. I also keep a stubby screwdriver handy for adjustments. When I first started using it for DL I wasn't a fan but I have found that if I keep the overlap a little off center it's fine. Like Mark I also find some days it's harder to close than others but on those days I get enough support (up to about 80%) without tightening it so I only flip the lever on the heavy stuff. I am considering buying a 13mm for squats though I have had this belt for years and it pretty well broken which makes it pretty flexible (which is probably why it's easier to DL with) and I think the added support a 13mm would provide would help.

Tom,
    I second the Inzer forever belt... I use the Dbl. prong 13mm & I love it! Had mine for years and never had a problem w/ it.

It conforms to your body after a while and really gives good support... However, as Travis stated, shorter guys have some problems w/ DL's as the belt is so wide and thick they have a tough time getting to the bar and w/ gear makes it twice as hard!

Ohh, & BTW, the Toro is a very stiff belt! Didnt have time to break it in and ended up selling it to one of my training buddy's...
    RC

Yup, the Inzer belts are great. I'm not sure if you like your belt to be different tightnesses for different events, but like others say, the lever takes awhile to change.

I like my belt real tight when I bench, but loose when I squat and moderate when I deadlift. If I had a lever belt, I' have to change it quite often
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Inzer Lever

I've used an Inzer 13mm Lever for the last 20 years. I've had 2. I out grew the first one, but it's still good! I do have to adjust it based on weight and gear. It's not hard, maybe 2 minutes of time. They have a lifetime warranty too.

BIG IRON FREAK
    10 mm inzer lever ftw

I have a Inzer Forever 13mm lever belt and I love it. I only use it when I'm wearing full gear so I really don't have to adjust it because it's pretty much set and ready to go.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

I have a 13 mm inzer lever belt, and honestly it isn't that hard to move two screws. I keep a screw driver in my gym bag in case I don't like how it feels that day. I also like it a bit looser for the squat, and my weight fluctuates from time to time, so I occasionally change it.

I've had the 13mm Inzer Lever for 12 yrs. Started at 215, now I'm 235-239. It's not like you have to adjust it between lifts. I like how you just snap it into place and ready to go. A quick snap and it's loose. Once it's broke in it's a great pieceof equipment.

I have the Toro lever bench belt and I'm really happy with it.
    Can't wait 'til tomorrow, 'cause I get stronger every day!

Wannabebig Member
    Ive not had a Forever, but I do have a SAFE and and i have used a Toro.

The Toro sucks compared to the SAFE, its inflexible and made of inferior materials (lever and leather).

The SAFE belt is the best powerlifting item i have EVER bought by a country mile. Its somehow stiff and supportive but also soft and flexible and comfortable straight out the box. I never had to break it in at all.

A big difference between the SAFEs and others that i have used is the 'edge' of the leather, in a lot of belts (eg. the Toro) its kind of cut off flat and the corner can dig in. On the SAFEs they treat the corners so they are shiny and smooth and rounded.

I sound like a rep for SAFE but it really impressed me when it arrived 2 yrs ago and it looks exactly the same now, just a bit more chalky.

Wannabebig Member
    Personally, I did not lever belts. I generate too much outward force with my stomach and the darn thing just pops open everytime.

I decided to order the 10mm Inzer Lever Belt. They were out of stock on the 13mm so that made for an easy decision; came to $77 with shipping and should be here next week.

Will post a review once I have a chance to try it out... looking forward to hitting some new PR's.