The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Why your diet is making you fat!!! A must read.

This blog couldn't have come at a better time of the year when everyone, competitors and non-competitors alike are trying to get leaner. I have discussing this issue with my mentor for years and everyone is still blind to what can and will happen with ill advised diets.

Hope you enjoy it.

http://www.scottabel.com/2010-More-o...lic-Damage.pdf

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Great read, thanks for sharing!
    - Slave & Master At The Same Damn Time -
    Hoping To Compete Natty Early 2011

Skimmed it, and I definitely didn't do this piece any kind of justice.

I'll have to sit down and read this much more thoroughly in order to really get a good grasp on what it's saying, but from what I've gathered thus far its a very informative article.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Disclaimer: I've been reading Scott's work for nearly ten years now and I've always been a fan. I guess he can't give away what people pay him for but he doesn't even elude to a solution. From what I understand there is no solution. There is no method of cutting that won't cause this down regulation.

Metabolism down regulates during an energy deficit. We knew this long before we understood leptin. A 20% drop in metabolism is pretty considerable but post cut I don't find that it takes that long to rebound. I guess as I get more and more cut I'll find this more and more difficult. When I'm not cutting I can eat anything and stay satiated. When I'm cutting or post cut I gravitate to less energy dense foods likes veggies. I just don't find it that hard.
    Last edited by Holto; 03-26-2010 at 11:55 AM.

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

In my experience dealing with weight loss clients, the drop in metabolism and subsequent "rebound" of fat storage was always much worse when people tried to crash diet and drop their calories way too low. I have no idea what their leptin levels were, but I certainly saw the results of this rebound effect. I didn't see this nearly as much with those who used a much more modest caloric deficit and had a slower weight loss. I also tried to set a calorie floor for people to try and minimize any metabolic slowdown. I never really saw this rebound issue with those that actually followed my recommendations and avoided super low calorie diets.

Great read!

I'm also a Big fan of Scott's work
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by Holto View Post
    Disclaimer: I've been reading Scott's work for nearly ten years now and I've always been a fan. I guess he can't give away what people pay him for but he doesn't even elude to a solution. From what I understand there is no solution. There is no method of cutting that won't cause this down regulation.

Metabolism down regulates during an energy deficit. We knew this long before we understood leptin. A 20% drop in metabolism is pretty considerable but post cut I don't find that it takes that long to rebound. I guess as I get more and more cut I'll find this more and more difficult. When I'm not cutting I can eat anything and stay satiated. When I'm cutting or post cut I gravitate to less energy dense foods likes veggies. I just don't find it that hard.
    You are missing the point entirely. There isn't one black and white way to fix the issue of metabolic damage as it depends on how much damage has been done, what exactly they have been doing, for how long, etc.... To say there is no solution is wrong, but at the same time if someone hae been dieting the wrong way for years then you will never be back to normal but you can help the situation thru proper nutrition and training protocols.

Whenb he talks about dieting causing the problem he's not talking about what normally happens its aboutr when individuals diet to extremes by cutting calories more and more and going into an absolute calorie deficit and not a relative one and this is where the damage is done. If you are smart about dieting then there usually isn't an issue.

The biggest problem is when a trainer or individual themselves cut more calories just because their weight hasn't dropped and they stop seeing progress and to make it worse they usually add more cardio. This causes the body to slow down metabolism to an extremely slow rate and creates a new metabolic set point that leads to fat gain after dieting has stopped.

Adding calorie spikes when metabolism down regulates is one way to keep everything functioning and keeps the body from going into survival mode. There are other ways but depends on the person.

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Great article

Most of my clients are predominantly weight loss. Surprisingly the problem is most of them especially women don't eat enough. They bring me their food logs and a lot of them eat 500-800 calories a day and their metabolisms are completely shot. I had a lady she was eating about 800 cals a day almost no protein she was 240lbs. I bumped her up to 1300 cals and she now weighs 209 and still dropping. Same problem with another lady came to me weighing 170 lbs eating about 800 cals a day. She now eats 1400cals a day on a 10/40/50 c/p/f weighs 149 now and still dropping. With my male weight loss clients they just eat too much which makes things a lot simpler.

Now when I get overweight women or women with these last stubborn 20lbs I'm usually expecting extreme low calories and terrible macros rather than over eating.
    Last edited by ThomasG; 03-28-2010 at 10:39 PM.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

I found out about this metabolic damage stuff when it was too late, well not too late but it was doing damage. My coach reamed me, then upped my calories, and I'm losing weight now. I had stalled, eating enough to keep a dog alive. It sucked. Great article.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Cress View Post
    Whenb he talks about dieting causing the problem he's not talking about what normally happens its aboutr when individuals diet to extremes by cutting calories more and more and going into an absolute calorie deficit and not a relative one and this is where the damage is done. If you are smart about dieting then there usually isn't an issue.
    It certainly paints a grim picture.

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

Just remember the context of the article. The author clearly works with many competition athletes that often go to extremes in everything they do for contest preparation. The grim picture seems to be more appicable to those that have repeatedly or habitually followed these dietary extremes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean S View Post
    Just remember the context of the article. The author clearly works with many competition athletes that often go to extremes in everything they do for contest preparation. The grim picture seems to be more appicable to those that have repeatedly or habitually followed these dietary extremes.
    Yes he does work with many athletes that coompete as do I but trust me this is much more common with regular individuals than you may think. I see it alot, but it is definiteley very common among competitors especially females. There are soo many so called gurus out there who don't truly understand how the body works or knows how to read an individuals feedback and they jsut worry about the end result and have their clients doing extremes and not looking at the bigger picture.

Peopel read mis-information on the internet or in a magazine and and also with fad diets and diet to extremes while doing hours of cardio and then they go off whatever diet they were on and rebound and gain substaintial weight making it harder to lose it again and the yo yo starts.

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Sometimes it takes some convincing to get some of my females to eat more. They say to me "Why would eating more make me lose weight" It's programmed into their head less is better. Some tell me they have to force feed themselves to get 1300 calories in from years of metabolic damage.. Allen I know this differs from person to person due to BMR but about how many calories do you have your female fitness competitors short and tall class eat when cutting?
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Thanks for the article post, very cool.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    Sometimes it takes some convincing to get some of my females to eat more. They say to me "Why would eating more make me lose weight" It's programmed into their head less is better. Some tell me they have to force feed themselves to get 1300 calories in from years of metabolic damage.. Allen I know this differs from person to person due to BMR but about how many calories do you have your female fitness competitors short and tall class eat when cutting?
    I usually work with them all year so I know their body well and what it needs and trust me everyone is different regardless of how much they weigh and height has nothing to do with it when it comes to how many calories they eat. For example I had one competitor who weighed 120 eating 1500 cal during prep and another who weighed the same eating 1200. So its very individual.

I do a diet history with them when they hire me and this also determines what and how much they eat. You can always, depending on what condition they are currently in and if they are healthy, times their BW by 10-12 and use that as a base and adjust from there.

Wannabebig Member
    Interesting read.