View Poll Results: What is better one muscle group a week or to group muscle groups together

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • one muscle group a week

1 20.00%
  • add muscle groups together

4 80.00%

Thread: What is better one muscle group a week or to group muscle groups together

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

What is better one muscle group a week or to group muscle groups together

What is better to do one muscle group a week for more recovery time or to add muscle groups together so the recovery time is less.

And what is a good chest workout for big pecs.

As outlined in the brilliant article posted by pledgemode, I have found that training a muscle group more regularly than once per week is optimal which is why I stick with full body routines or upper and lower body rather than traditional bodypart splits.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

I completely agree with Dan. I found it much more productive to group two or three muscle groups together so I could hit them again later in the week.

Usually I did chest/triceps - legs - back/biceps - shoulders/traps

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I love not worrying about specific bodyparts.

This afternoon I have a Pull Up/Chin Up complex to do, followed by bench, row, military press and a bit of gun work to finish up.

Then on Friday I do something similiar and that's my two upper body workouts done for the week.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Banned
    I think you have to experiment with it...everyone is different. For instance, my bench LOVES to be trained twice a week. I switched to once a week for the last 2 months and I have stayed put...no progress at all. However, switching my squats to once per week with more volume on that day has resulted in a huge increase. I used to do them twice...

I've made way more progress in 5 years or so of doing BP work (upper body) and SQ/DL work (lower body) twice a week each. Obviously not all sessions are heavy usually one heavy session and one assistance work session for each area. I followed the once a week bodypart splits for 12 years prior to that and made very, very little progress compared to the upper/lower type of split I use now.

It's a good thing that there are forums like these where you can ask these questions. Because there will always be at least one person who has tried these things. For an individual it's kind of a "hard" decision, because why would you want to leave your current split which is giving you good results for another type which may or may not be better. Like myself, i only hit a muscle group once a week, well, that's besides squat and deadlift which i do on the final day. And even though people are saying they got better results doing it otherwise, i'm gonna be a stubborn ass and stick to what i do..I think it's somewhat of a personal preference as it is connected with the way you train..either that or i am more stubborn than i thought!
    "When you promise yourself something, make a commitment, you can't give up. Because, when you're in the gym, you have to fulfill the promise you made to yourself. The people who can self motivate - in any field - are usually the ones who win. Regardless of talent." T. Platz

I did a full body routine a year or more ago and made great gains on it in both size and strength. The problem I had before was not listening to my body and not knowing when to deload or take a day or week lighter. I only did 3 or 4 exercises per day and that worked for me I picked exercises that hit alot of muscles and one that would allow for alot of weight to be used.
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.