The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Squat depth check

Here's a squat video from Sunday. I've decided to film my form to see what is causing me to not make much progess squatting. I have been using a wider stance for a months ( shoulder width or wider) and yesterday, I decided to bring in my stance. Using a wide stance kills my right hip in the hole, and my hip felt great with a close stance.

How does my form look and how is the depth? I have a belly full of air, back arched, and head driven into the bar. Is there anything I could improve on. I wanted to film my work sets of 315, but my batteries died.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Are you going to compete? In what org? Looks parallell to me but not under so if you shall compete in the IPF(WPC international also) or USAPL if your american I think you need to get down a little lower. I wouldn't push my knees as much forward as you're doing. But if you have to stand really close because of discomfort etc maybe you don't have much of choice. If you can use a little wider stance I think you should and push out your knees.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rinse View Post
    Are you going to compete? In what org? Looks parallell to me but not under so if you shall compete in the IPF(WPC international also) or USAPL if your american I think you need to get down a little lower. I wouldn't push my knees as much forward as you're doing. But if you have to stand really close because of discomfort etc maybe you don't have much of choice. If you can use a little wider stance I think you should and push out your knees.
    I compete in the SPF. From the videos I've seen, this looks like legal depth in the SPF. Maybe some SPF guys can chime in. I was pushing my knees out, that's probably why it looks like my knees are going forward.

You are at paralell. But depending on whos judging you may have to go a hair deeper to break it.
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
    I compete in the SPF. From the videos I've seen, this looks like legal depth in the SPF. Maybe some SPF guys can chime in. I was pushing my knees out, that's probably why it looks like my knees are going forward.
    Yes based on videos I have seen from the SPF your good.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottYard View Post
    You are at paralell. But depending on whos judging you may have to go a hair deeper to break it.
    Thanks Scott! My sets of 315 felt deeper, but I wasn't sure. Next time I'll make sure my batteries are charged, so I can film it

your above parallel if you ask me. need to break. You need to work on sitting back and keeping you shins perpendicular to the floor.
    keep up the good work!
    Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Celli View Post
    your above parallel if you ask me. need to break. You need to work on sitting back and keeping you shins perpendicular to the floor.
    keep up the good work!
    Ryan
    I agree. Looks like you are a bit high. You appear to be getting some forward travel of the shins/knees. If you sit back more you should drop right into the hole.

I think assuming that something will pass b/c it's an SPF meet would be a mistake.
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Celli View Post
    keep up the good work!
    Ryan
    Thanks Ryan! This is why I love this forum. I had no idea that my shins weren't perpendicular. If I keep my shins perpendicular, will that allow me to sit back more even with a narrower stance?

You got some good advice on here. Again, just sit back a little bit more and arch. I thought you were close to parr but didn't break.