Thread: Analogies and Visualization

Analogies and Visualization

There are lots of little tricks and visualizations when lifting. Here are ones I've used (or heard about):

1. "Toes up" during squatting credit to Sully.
    2. When doing single bend over db rows, I pretend I'm trying to put that dumb bell into my pocket.
    3. I read in one of Arnold's books that he'd pretend he was "hugging a tree" during db fly's.
    4. Allen Cress made a comment a while back about employing a pumping motion with no rest at the top, which seems to be helping me on bench.

I'm curious to hear about other analogies/visualizations people feel help them.
    Last edited by Bosch232; 03-31-2010 at 07:37 PM.
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis

I cant remember who said it but it was someone here, "Stick your butt out like you are trying to knock over a midget" when squatting.
    5'9". 34.-----------------------------BEST LIFTS-----------------------GOALS
    Bodyweight-------------------------BE 280 x 1------------------------BE 300 x 1
    Jan 2009: 151 lbs----------------SQ 365 x 2-----------------------SQ 400 x 1
    Jan 2010: 221 lbs----------------DL 405 x 1------------------------DL 500 x 1
    Current: 214 lbs
    bulking again -- working on my DL

And Bosch232s doctor said to"'visualize trying to hold a piece of paper between my butt cheeks while doing the move". (squats)
    Last edited by Nicky; 03-31-2010 at 04:57 PM.
    5'9". 34.-----------------------------BEST LIFTS-----------------------GOALS
    Bodyweight-------------------------BE 280 x 1------------------------BE 300 x 1
    Jan 2009: 151 lbs----------------SQ 365 x 2-----------------------SQ 400 x 1
    Jan 2010: 221 lbs----------------DL 405 x 1------------------------DL 500 x 1
    Current: 214 lbs
    bulking again -- working on my DL

Banned
    This is a great thread idea. One of the things you read in Rippetoe's books is the importance of coaching cues. These are the sort of things a coach would yell at you when training. Except most of us don't have a coach so we have to learn them ourselves and then mentally yell them during the sets.

1 - Knees out.
    2 - Rotate the hips (first learned from sensei)

Simple advice but effective cues for the squat.
    Last edited by J.C.; 03-31-2010 at 06:55 PM.

HAHA, I like the one about holding a piece of paper between your buttcheeks. I'll use a dollar bill, though.

1 - Knees out.
    2 - Rotate the hips (first learned from sensei)
    3. CHEST UP. I like to dump the stale air in my lungs each rep, and fill them deep like balloons at the top of each rep, picture them lighter than air and lifting me towards the ceiling. (Sounds weird, I know but it works for me.)

For squats, I also like to pretend that rather than lifting the bar itself, the bar is stationary and I'm pushing the floor away from me.
    Deadlifts, I stand like I'm a beastly ass gorilla and let my arms hang forward and stick my ass out right before I lower myself to the weight, haha...

On power cleans and snatches, I try to point my toes towards the floor when I leave the ground. This allows me to get better height on the bar, and makes pulling under a lot easier. I know its not visualization, but a good form keeping tip nonetheless.

On high rep 20 rep squats, I like to put post-it notes on the wall. The first one has the numbers 1-2-3-4-5 on it. I focus on the number for each rep. The next post-it has numbers 6 through 10, and so on through 20. It helps to keep me focused, it keeps my head up, and it breaks the reps down into manageable sets of 5.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

i forget where i heard it, but someone said during deadlifts to kinda stick your ass out and squeeze your shoulder blades together, without bowing your back. i heard that a while ago and since i heard it i instantly put about 30lbs on my deadlift with solid form and changed it from an exercise that im "not very fond of, but do it because i know i should" to probably my favorite lift

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
    And Bosch232s doctor said to"'visualize trying to hold a piece of paper between my butt cheeks while doing the move". (squats)
    careful for papercuts.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Nicky has issues...

"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis