The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

my progress so far....

I've been doing SS for 3 months now, with great results. My weight shot up more than i thought (from 156 to 190!!!) I feel like I'm getting to the point where i should cut now. i m 5'6 weigh 193lbs i gained mass mostly around the gut ,waist and buttocks. ive added some calestetics to my routine...

Monday:
    Squats 3x5 110lbs
    Deadlifts 1 x5 120lbs
    Bench Press 3x5 100lbs
    Chin ups 3x3 (i increase the reps every workout)
    Incline push ups 3x10

Wednesday:
    Squats: 3x5 Same as above
    Overhead Press 3x5 90 lbs
    Powercleans 5x3 100lbs
    Dips 3x10

Friday:
    Squats 3x5 110lbs
    Deadlifts 1 x5 120lbs
    Bench Press 3x5 100lbs
    Hanging leg raise 3x3 (increase rep every workout)

I was thinking of lowering the amounts of squats im doing because it's making my waist/buttocks larger in proportion to my body maybe 1x5? or leave it off completely. Keep in mind that i'm doing this alone. I ain't got the money to be part of a gym right now (unemployed) I was thinking about increasing the weights but I only have 130 lbs of weights, a barbell, a pull up bar, adjustable dumbells that can go up to 50 lbs. and I'm short on money right now so i can't buy new weights yet.

What other exercises could I do to tone up or cut with that situation? You guys in the wanna be big forum are the only advisors i've got rite now lol..im in need of ur expertise for this newbie...lol also how important is it to tone up before starting weight training? Does it matter if you're going to lose that definition by gaining weight anyways?
    Last edited by I_Esta_5; 03-29-2010 at 09:00 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I am 5'5 160+ and starting to get a waist, and my lift numbers are quite a bit higher. I don't mean this as a sleight at all , it just means if you put on 40lbs in 3 months and your squat is at 110 and you weigh 190, you probably are correct in wanting to cut!

IMO, squats are too important to stop, forget that mumbo jumbo about a large waist and butt. They are the bread and butter of SS.

I'm not sure what you mean by "tone up" before weight training, but I would continue with SS and clean up the diet, perhaps do some carb cycling and some barbell complexes or light cardio to get back to a good BF%.

I don't really understand what you are saying, you've done SS for 3 months, gained 34lbs of weight and still only squat 110 lbs?

If thats the case then clean up the diet (don't gain anymore weight!), throw in a cardio session or two maybe and just focus on getting those numbers up, no need for mass gain at all now.

But really you should be adding 5lbs (maybe 10lbs in the early stage) per workout on SS, 15 lbs to the squat a week, so if you started with just the 45 lb bar, you should be squatting around 225 + now (at least).

Either that or you just cut right down and start all over, but really after 3 months you should have performed better than that.
    Last edited by Alyion; 03-30-2010 at 12:18 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Alyion View Post
    I don't really understand what you are saying, you've done SS for 3 months, gained 34lbs of weight and still only squat 110 lbs?

If thats the case then clean up the diet (don't gain anymore weight!), throw in a cardio session or two maybe and just focus on getting those numbers up, no need for mass gain at all now.

But really you should be adding 5lbs (maybe 10lbs in the early stage) per workout on SS, 15 lbs to the squat a week, so if you started with just the 45 lb bar, you should be squatting around 225 + now (at least).

Either that or you just cut right down and start all over, but really after 3 months you should have performed better than that.
    I agree...something isnt right there. I would eat at maintenance and recomp your body and bring your core lifts up.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by I_Esta_5 View Post
    I've been doing SS for 3 months now, with great results. My weight shot up more than i thought (from 156 to 190!!!) I feel like I'm getting to the point where i should cut now. i m 5'6 weigh 193lbs i gained mass mostly around the gut ,waist and buttocks. ive added some calestetics to my routine...

Monday:
    Squats 3x5 110lbs
    Deadlifts 1 x5 120lbs
    Bench Press 3x5 100lbs
    Chin ups 3x3 (i increase the reps every workout)
    Incline push ups 3x10

Wednesday:
    Squats: 3x5 Same as above
    Overhead Press 3x5 90 lbs
    Powercleans 5x3 100lbs
    Dips 3x10

Friday:
    Squats 3x5 110lbs
    Deadlifts 1 x5 120lbs
    Bench Press 3x5 100lbs
    Hanging leg raise 3x3 (increase rep every workout)

I was thinking of lowering the amounts of squats im doing because it's making my waist/buttocks larger in proportion to my body maybe 1x5? or leave it off completely. Keep in mind that i'm doing this alone. I ain't got the money to be part of a gym right now (unemployed) I was thinking about increasing the weights but I only have 130 lbs of weights, a barbell, a pull up bar, adjustable dumbells that can go up to 50 lbs. and I'm short on money right now so i can't buy new weights yet.

What other exercises could I do to tone up or cut with that situation? You guys in the wanna be big forum are the only advisors i've got rite now lol..im in need of ur expertise for this newbie...lol also how important is it to tone up before starting weight training? Does it matter if you're going to lose that definition by gaining weight anyways?
    This always gets on my nerves when people say they can't afford a gym. You can find a local family owned gym for 20.00 a month. Thats roughly 75 cents a day. I can find 75 cents a day in my car. "If there is a will, there is a way." I always told my friend if you want something bad enough you'll go for it.
    Last edited by Persistant1; 04-01-2010 at 09:39 PM.
    CURRENT WEIGHT: 295
    HEAVIEST WEIGHT: 350
    CURRENT WEIGHT GOAL: 275
    MID TERM GOAL: 260
    LONG TERM GOAL: 245

LEAN, STRONG, BIG, FAST, HEALTH, AND CONDITIONING.... WHY PICK ONLY ONE?

Quote Originally Posted by Persistant1 View Post
    This always gets on my nerves when people say they can't afford a gym. You can find a local family owned gym for 20.00 a month. Thats roughly 75 cents a day. I can find 75 cents a day in my car. "If there is a will, there is a way." I always told my friend if you want something bad enough you'll go for it.
    This is a bad attitude. If it comes down to $20 a month towards groceries or electric bill then you gotta skip on the gym membership and pay your bills. There ain't a "family owned gym" within 50 miles of me, so you can't always find one. Times are tough for people out there. If he has weights at home and needs to save money on gym dues, don't bust his balls. Maybe look at it from someone elses perspective instead of it "getting on your nerves."
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

Yard sales, and flea markets are a great way to get some extra weights for cheap. Also check craigslist. Usually you can find someones parents with weights for sale for cheap, just a thought.

Wannabebig Member
    Maybe he has added 110 pounds to his squat over the 3 months, maybe its not his current weight.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Busted Limb View Post
    Maybe he has added 110 pounds to his squat over the 3 months, maybe its not his current weight.
    I would hope so... If not, then he hasn't been squatting enough weight (either his form is bad so hes not able to squat enough to build up muscle, or he doesn't like it, or something)

But if you are gaining weight and not muscle.. Then you need to watch what you are eating... the #1 thing you should be eating is protein.

So he needs to watch what he eats (go to fitday or something for your calories and look around for an article on this website that tells you how to break it down into how much protein, carbs, and everything you need) and he needs to lift heavier and do as SS tells you. I think it tells you to add 5 lbs or something like that a week?

Because with the crappiest workouts that I have done with football... I've added on some decent muscle from them, but then again... my squat and deadlift have jumped a lot but my bench has barely went up so maybe you are just an upper body person? who knows cause I don't :P

Anyways good luck!

Hey Isaac,

You have made some progress with weight which is always better than none so don't be discouraged by some of the comments.

You should consider changing to a differnt routine at least until you can get more weight. If you don't want to change from SS too much then you could maybe increase the sets and reps to something like 5x5+.

Have you been doing the SS warm-up sets, these in my opinion are crucial for optimal gain in strength.
    Have you been doing any type of light cardio like walking? This will help keep your body tighter and slimmer.