Thread: SS and Squat frequency

Wannabebig Member

SS and Squat frequency

Hi guys

Just started started strength and one thing that concerns me from a recovery growth point of view is the fact that Squats are done every workout,...One of my goals is to pack some serious size onto my pipecleaner shaper legs ...

Would training legs every workoput hold me back growth wise..?

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Simply the opposite! I started SS a month or so ago, and since then my squat has gone from 145 x 5 x 3 to 200 x 5 x 3 (adding 5, sometimes 10 lbs each workout), and that's while on a cut. Depending on your current level of Squatting I'd guess that while bulking you'll be able to add weight more quickly than I. It seems if there's one exercise that should be trained frequently it's Squats. I am even doing HIIT Sprints inbetween every Squat day and I am still fine from a recovery point of view. In my case I'm not gaining size/bulking so my legs are not actually bigger, but if I was eating in a caloric surplus they most definitely would be.

While at times it can be tough both mentally and physically Squatting every workout, if you just keep your diet in order and stick with it you won't be sorry. Good luck with it, you'll pack on that serious size if you keep squatting every workout and eating big.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 04-01-2010 at 04:09 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Especially for a newbie, squatting every workout will help you put on size and strength.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Quote Originally Posted by rbtrout View Post
    Especially for a newbie, squatting every workout will help you put on size and strength.
    And, practice makes perfect.

Wannabebig Member
    thanks for the info guys....On the squat what is the best position for the feet ?

Wannabebig Member
    Cheers rbtrout ....Jeeze i just noticed your squat numbers....guess you know what your talking about lol

Only through tons of practice and re-evaluating my form several times over the years.

Foot position - typically about shoulder width. From there, adjust it to what works for you. Toes pointed slightly out (again comfortable stance). When you squat down and come back up, make sure your knees stay in line over your feet/toes, don't let your knees come in closer together - that will cause knee problems.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Wannabebig Member
    Only through tons of practice and re-evaluating my form several times over the years.

Foot position - typically about shoulder width. From there, adjust it to what works for you. Toes pointed slightly out (again comfortable stance). When you squat down and come back up, make sure your knees stay in line over your feet/toes, don't let your knees come in closer together - that will cause knee problems.
    many thanks for that

Quote Originally Posted by wanagetstrong View Post
    many thanks for that
    The Starting Strength Wiki is a great resource, but I highly recommend getting the book.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi..._Strength_Wiki

There's also a DVD that can really help with lifting form.