The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

How I got started benching

So I am going take ya back to when I started to bench. First off I had two horrible experinces growing up trying to workout. First one I was about 7 years old. I saw a video of Hulk Hogan and I thought man I want to be as big as him. So I thought it would be a good idea to get the two milk jugs in the fridge empty them out and fill them with water. Common sense to a 7 year old is milk weighs less than water. DUH!
    So I filled them up went outside and started lifting them in all different angles. It wasnt long before my Mom looked out side and saw me lifting these realized what I had done and she may or may not have whooped my butt.

My second exposure came at about 10 years old. I was with my dad. He had a weight bench in the garage. I asked him if I could use it. He said, "No." Yea ok dad. As soon as he left and went inside the house I loaded the bar laid down and tried to bench. Well the bar came down to my chest and I couldnt move. I had to scream for help after several attempts at trying to move it. My dad ran out and lifted the bar off of me. I may or may not have gotten my butt whooped.

So here I am entering middle school two very bad experinces with lifting and I find out that I have to take a lifting class instead of P.E. I just had a surgery my last of 18 and I would be in a wheel chair for most of the year. Not only do I not want to lift but I dont want to be in a wheel chair. So first day in class I kind of just watched everyone and what they were doing. There was basically a Lat pull down, tricep pushdown rack, smith bench press, and a leg press machine with a dip bar behind it. The instructor was a fat bald know it all coach. A friend of mine dared to see how much I could bench. Of course I am not super bright I laid down and started to bench pretty close to my max with no warm up no work up sets. Just go heavy. I did way more than anyone else. I only did like 225lbs or something similar. Pretty good for a 12 year old.

The teacher pulled me aside after class and said I dont want to see you do anything like that again. You are not impressive and you will never bench more than me. (He only benched 315lbs on a smith machine for one.) Now back than that was impressive to me now it is not. The teacher went on to say that I need to follow the program and no worry about my max bench.....

Later that day I told my Mom what had happened. I told her I was mad that someone said I cant do something I know I can do. She told me the most valuable thing I needed to hear. PROVE HIM WRONG.

Through out the year I worked as hard as I could. I had no idea what I was doing but I worked my tail off. Towards the end of the year I was easily benching 225lbs for 10 and thought it was time to try 315lbs. I waited until the teacher was distracted loaded the smith machine and a buddy standing by and pressed it. Fuck ya I did it. The teacher came over becuase several students began to make a big deal about it. The teacher asked me did you do that. I said, "Yes." He asked me to do it again in disbelief. I cranked out another rep. Eat that you fat P.O.S is what I was thinking but didnt say. He said good job and walked away. I knew that I defeated him.

Going through 8th grade and starting high school I lifted all the time. And I love it. And to this day I think just before a big lift someone there at the gym doesnt think I can do this and that is what helps push me to get better.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    #1 ranked All time 220lbs raw bench 585lbs
    Primal Power Systems - ELITE TRAINING EXTREME PERFORMANCE YOUTUBE VIDS
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    ALN Supp Stack used - Opticean Nitrean BCAA Multi Plus Results Creatine Caps Fish Oil ETS
    Anderson Powerlifting
    YOU CAN HAVE EXCUSES OR RESULTS, NOT BOTH

Wannabebig Member courtneygould's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by larsen540 View Post

So for a month now I have tried to hit 500 for 5 I have failed to do so until last night. I finally got 5 and felt like 6 wasnt far away. I then benched 515 for 3 and locked out 605 for 2 reps. I felt really good. Did some seated overhead pressing with 275lbs 3 sets of 5/6

Front raises and shrugs.

Great workout really getting stronger.

You had a great freakin workout Adrian!!! You're a stud!
    Courtney Gould

Heavy Athletics Nutrition, Sponsored Athlete www.heavyathleticsnutrition.com

Subscribe to Youtube Vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/gouldc8/videos

Wannabebig Member courtneygould's Avatar
    Wow, You've proved that teacher wrong and soo many other doubters in your life wrong. You inspire me every day to do what people think isn't possible. You're an amazing lifter.
    Courtney Gould

Heavy Athletics Nutrition, Sponsored Athlete www.heavyathleticsnutrition.com

Subscribe to Youtube Vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/gouldc8/videos

PROVE HIM WRONG

That's pure gold.

Quote Originally Posted by courtneygould View Post
    You had a great freakin workout Adrian!!! You're a stud!
    Thanks Court that was a great workout. Thanks for keeping me on track.

Quote Originally Posted by courtneygould View Post
    Wow, You've proved that teacher wrong and soo many other doubters in your life wrong. You inspire me every day to do what people think isn't possible. You're an amazing lifter.
    Thank you very much. I really apprecaite it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock1984 View Post
    PROVE HIM WRONG

That's pure gold.
    HAHA I dont know about pure gold but certainly something to let burn inside ya to keep you working hard. Thanks for checking out he log bro.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    ALN Supp Stack used - Opticean Nitrean BCAA Multi Plus Results Creatine Caps Fish Oil ETS
    Anderson Powerlifting

9/15/12

Bench pin press
    worked upto 585lbs didnt feel strong

Front raises

seated shoulder press

Tricep pushdowns
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

9/16/12

Shrugs

hammer curls

Knee ext

rear delt work
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

9/22/12

APA competition put on by Rudy Kadlub and Elite Performance Center.

I made weight fairly easy but I focused alot on gaining weight back which is just as hard. I didnt focus enough on water rehydration. My hands were cramping alot and I just flat out did a bad job. The warm up room was on a different floor than the comp. It was hard to judge your warmup time. However I worked up to 500 for a double then sat for 20 mins waiting for my flight to start.

I opened with 525 and got it but while I was pressing I double dipped the bar. I under estimated the weight and I should have taken it more seriously. I tried the same weight on my second and naild it easily thanks to the support of my training partners and Todd Beacroft.

I choose to jump to 551 on my second and nearly got it but failed this is where I wish I would have done this right. This comp was a measuring stick for dropping to 220lbs and lifting raw chasing the 6hundy mark. I felt like a big failure. This is something I will put past me not think about again and kill it next time. Fucking weight.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

9/25/12

Training at Jungle Gym I havnt been here in a about 3 years to train and I missed it a little. It is a smaller gym but all of the members are super nice and all seem into what they are doing which is rare in a gym. The owner Noel Fuller is a great guy and puts this place as one of the best old school gyms around. Thanks Noel for keeping your gym the wayit is.

Bench
    135x30
    225x25
    325x20
    405x5 all long pauses

Seated shoulder press worked with 3plates each side 3 sets of 8-12

Incline machine
    275lbs for 3 sets of 20

2 tricep ext both higher reps good pump

Shrugs
    3x20

Great workout
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

9/27/12

Standing over head presses with 135lbs for 35 reps x2 sets

Cable flies

Hammer curls

Shoulder rehab work

Seated machine overhead press

Front / side raises

pull ups

ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

Weight Cut

I was asked recently to do a write up on the program I am doing to cut from 277lbs to 220lbs in about 4 months. First off everything here is stuff that I played with to see how it fit for my life style and my body. I am not saying this will work for you and you should use this article as my experinces.

How it started- About a year ago I told some of my training partners that I would cut at some point to 220lbs. They were supportive at first however, as time went on and I stayed at 275lbs they lost hope. I always thought the strongest lifters were at 275 or above so that is where I need to be. I was wrong. I made the choice to finally make a run at 242lbs. I told peopl at the gym they laughed and said I will pay you money to get to 242lbs. If you know me at all I need people to think I cant do it. I love that shit. Previously I began to Carb Backload but I would back load everynight I didnt want fast results. But with so much doubt I changed it up and began to follow backloading as intended. ( Which if you havnt atleast read an article on backloading I suggest you do)

I made a quick drop from 277lbs to 260 in about 2 1/2 weeks mostly to cutting beer out and simply uping my water. One thing I have always enjoyed was a cold dark beer after training and then again on the weekend. Welll it wast helping so I cut it out. If you want somthing bad enough you will SACRIFACE.

So I am sitting at 260lbs with about 2 weeks before the comp I need to be 242lbs. Time to turn it up. I eventually worked down to about 253lbs and cut 11lbs in the sauna easily. Made it. All the guys that doubted me I did it. I choose at this point I would make another cut to 220lbs now. After weigh ins at 242 I ate and ate and ate some more. 24 hours later I was back to 260lbs and that is what I competed at. HAHA not fair for 242lbs weight class.

Cutting to 220lbs I had to really cut back on somethings. I usaully killed the food on training nights and the backloading program. But now I needed a little faster results I was 260 and had 7 weeks to mae 220lbs.

So I made sure my carb intake on training nights stayed up high but I was still eating good food. What is crazy is this was all done with zero cardio. I didnt do any.

A week out from the meet I was sitting at about 234lbs So the week of this is what I did to cut 14lbs.

The weekend prior I picked a day and all day I ate whatever whenever I wanted. I really was prob 240lbs after that weekend. Sunday night I started to up my water from 1 gallon per day to 3 gallons per day. Monday I cut out 80% of carbs and eat super clean. By Wednesday zero carbs and water was running through me about every 7 mins. Low to no sodium intake. Wed Night eat dinner a little earlier. I had one chicken breast dry with a dry salad. This was the last meal.

Thursday I drank 64oz of water by 9am and then stopped all water and zero food. By Thursday night I was sitting at 229lbs at 9pm. I hit the sauna with Chris Duffin we were both about the same. I had a great first session lasting about 35mins but after that 10 mins I was getting light headed. After the first session I was sitting at 226lbs. After a hand full of sessions I had to go get some sleep. I was sitting at 222lbs. At 7am I woke up and hit the steam room for one 15min session and called it good.

I drove to weigh ins at 9am and was at 99.9kilos 220lbs.

Here is a normal day of meals

5am - Coffee heavy cream and protien

11am- Turkey / Almonds or almond butter

1pm- Protien

2pm- Cottage cheese

4pm- Workout

7pm- Opticean post workout shake with BCAA's

7:30pm game on eat eat eat.

Im telling ya this was really simple and easy to follow. I will stay at 220lbs now until Ibench 600 raw.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

Nice write up. Good luck on your journey to benching 600@220!!!
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hopper View Post
    Nice write up. Good luck on your journey to benching 600@220!!!
    Thanks Brian
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

9/30/12

What. Session I went to Olympic gym in gresham the biggest idiot worked behind the counter. Made me wonder I I wanted to ever go back for instance when I bought an energy drink he threw my card on the table at me I looked at him and wanted to punch him in his stupid fucking face. So I head down to the lower part of the gym and the benches are all old and suck I still benched I worked up to 505 for a single felt like shit mostly due to crappy hand off but atleast I got it

Moved on did some standing overhead presses 135 for 30 reps a couple sets

Did some pulling the point of this is to see what I can do my goal is to start squaring and pulling a couple times a Month

Moved to j m presses 3 sets of 8 straight Into hammers 3 sets of 5 rep

Triceps ext high volume and finished with pull-ups

All in all a good session just not the best gym
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

10/2/12

Had a hard time sleeping so I hit the gym for some early morning back work

Seated pulls

Bent over rows

Hammer curls

Shrugs

Face pulls
    Last edited by larsen540; 10-06-2012 at 10:23 AM.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

Benched 225 for 4 sets of 30 reps

moved to dumbells 100lbs 3 sets of 35 last set of 40

rack pulls just messing around

Rear delt work

Feeling strong
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting