The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

dont hurt yourself trying to impress your woman

so i have a gym rant to share. also wanted to see if you guys have had any similar experiences.

as im sitting on this bench resting before i do my second set of DB presses i notice some guy come down the steps to my gym. following right behind him is apparently his woman. i would say they were both in their late teens. and you know how you can look at someone sometimes and say to yourself "that guy is a d-bag"... well, he fit the description to a tee. my gym is in the basement of a very small community center. of all the people who have memberships here i would say i know 95% of them. so when a new person comes in it grabs my attention. i give him a nod hello as im listening to my mp3 player and he looks right at me but ignores me. then his girls looks at me and gives me a pretty dirty look. i dont let it bother me and continue with my workout.

after finishing my set i put my DB's back on the rack and sit down to rest for a minute. well, he goes over to the DB rack and grabs the ones i was just using for my presses. they were 70 lbs each. he takes them off the rack, of course pausing beforehand to roll up his shirtsleeves to reveal his toothpick arms, and attempts to curl them. his attempt was...........unsuccessful. but he still threw the DB's down to the ground like he was some kind of bad*** and then him and his girl turn and mug the **** out of me. it doesnt bother me in the slightest. so i set up my BB to do my deads and the whole time hes talking to her telling her how much of a "beast" he is, and all this crap. yet he isnt lifting any weights. hes just sitting on a bench telling her how awesome he is. and shes eating it up, all the while continuing to mug me...

as i said before, i have a small gym. so it was only the 3 of us there. anyway, i put 240 lbs on my bar and got 6 reps on my deadlift. i am fully aware this is not an impressive amount. but, i wasnt TRYING to impress anyone. i was continuing MY WORKOUT peacefully. i guess he thought i was trying to show him up in front of his girl because she was watching me as i did it. i did nothing to try to attract her attention. she just happened to watch. so i walk over to sit down on a nearby bench and rest and this toolbag walks over to my bar. as hes still talking about how "beast" he is, he bends over and grabs it. the girl looks at me, i look at her like "he really shouldnt be doing this", shaking my head no. and he yanks that bar up off the ground about 5 inches with his back breaking right in front of my eyes and he drops it. so i offer some friendly advice.

"dude, you dont wanna do that. you could seriously hurt yourself man. why dont you set up a bar with a little lower weight?"

him - "dawg, im a BEAST! you think this **** is HARD??"

his girl is starting to realize he shouldnt be doing this and is telling him to leave it alone. so he tells her to shut her mouth. at that point i got pissed and didnt care to sugarcoat any longer.

me - "look, your back is ************ breaking! you need to check your ego buddy because if you try that again with that ***** form youre going to snap in half like the twig you are!"

that was after SEVERAL attempts to tactfully tell him he shouldnt try it anymore along with the prodding of his woman. do you think he listened? Nope. he tried to do it again and this time he got a couple inches higher but then dropped it and let out a very loud expletive. then.......... he crumbled to the floor......... clutching his lower back............ writhing in immense pain...............

my reaction? i rolled the bar away from his body laying on the floor and finished my second set. it was the final lift of the day so i put all my weights back up.......and looked at him STILL laying on the floor saying "i cant move! my back! ************* MY BACK!"..................and i said "thats why you leave your woman at home. dude, youre a BEAST! you dont need her here! plus its alot more embarassing for you when you make yourself look like a jack***"

i stepped over his body and continued up the steps and out the door. moral of the story - dont hurt yourself trying to impress your woman.
    I may have "Love" on my head, but i have Hate in my heart.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Really? this REALLY happened? all i can say is wow, that guy is more tool than one of these ****ers:

http://img.nauticexpo.com/images_ne/...fe-184291.jpgg
    ::::::::::::::::::::Updated 9-16-11::::::::::::::::::::
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 408 Squat Max @ 370
    CG Bench 1x7 @ 225 Power Clean Max @ 235
    W Chinups 3x10 @ +50 Dips 1x5 @ +115

Height - 6'3 Weight - 194lbs Age - 21

"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

yep. it really, truly happened. and yep, that picture is quite applicable.

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    This sounds almost fake, but given the people at the gym I've seen it doesn't surprise me.
    I'm a littler guy but decently strong, and I laugh when people seem so inclined to think that they need to lift the same or more weight as me.

On an related note, I once was at the Y and I noticed these two bigger dudes kind of looking at me while I was deadlifting. I got done with my set and one of them came over to me (he had probably 50-60 lbs on me) and asked me if I could give him some pointers.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    Whats sad is i have a very similar story but it was with DB Presses and a skinny guy screwing up his shoulder trying to lift with me, and I was going light....lol

ive seen things like that a number of times
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

him - "dawg, im a BEAST! you think this **** is HARD??"
    Really?

pics or it didn't happen

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    I was up in Louisville a few months ago! My brother in law is from there and I was helping him and my sister move back over to California. Anyway, an entertaining read
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 04-01-2010 at 01:30 AM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Banned
    I want this to be true so badly but I just can't believe it. Do people really talk like that?

i dont see whats so hard to believe. this city, especially the area where my gym is, is FULL of people like this. these clowns are a dime a dozen. add in to that the fact that he was 18-19 years old, and he had his trashy as hell girlfriend with him and i dont get how its difficult to see this happening. i wouldnt have posted anything if it werent true. people here are about 80% dumber than in any other place.
    Last edited by 2kool; 04-01-2010 at 07:03 AM.

TL;DR

Ignore everyone else, do what you do.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by 2kool View Post
    i dont see whats so hard to believe. this city, especially the area where my gym is, is FULL of people like this. these clowns are a dime a dozen. add in to that the fact that he was 18-19 years old, and he had his trashy as hell girlfriend with him and i dont get how its difficult to see this happening. i wouldnt have posted anything if it werent true. people here are about 80% dumber than in any other place.
    I don't appreciate you calling my gf trashy dawg.

No really, it sucks that he hurt himself but what are you gonna do? At least you tried to stop him. Some people just don't get it.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Wannabebig Member
    Great story, i think we all have seen someone failing when he tried to look bad*ss. I have seen similar story in my gym too.

I think I would have pulled out my camera phone and told him to smile as he lay there crippled.. JUST so I could show everyone on WBB how douchy he was..

that's the 1 thing you could have done better.. lol
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

very entertaining story. i totally believe it, its really not that out of the ordinary, and in some places usual. i can totally picture this guy wearing some kind of gangsta pants/shorts on that go about 2/3s of the way down his legs and are like 10 sizes too big for him, coupled with a baggy shirt that like 15 sizes too big for him, topped off with a pair of untied construction boots.

Quote Originally Posted by VikingWarlord View Post
    TL;DR

life would be boring as **** if you just went around ignoring everyone else all the time
    ::::::::::::::::::::Updated 9-16-11::::::::::::::::::::
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 408 Squat Max @ 370
    CG Bench 1x7 @ 225 Power Clean Max @ 235
    W Chinups 3x10 @ +50 Dips 1x5 @ +115

Height - 6'3 Weight - 194lbs Age - 21

"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

Quote Originally Posted by soclydeza View Post
    very entertaining story. i totally believe it, its really not that out of the ordinary, and in some places usual. i can totally picture this guy wearing some kind of gangsta pants/shorts on that go about 2/3s of the way down his legs and are like 10 sizes too big for him, coupled with a baggy shirt that like 15 sizes too big for him, topped off with a pair of untied construction boots.
    baggy wife-beater. definitely a baggy wife-beater. and a fitted hat on, cocked to the side.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

I think younger people these days, get too caught up on the numbers on the plates, and not there form. It seems "Pu$$y like" for someone their size to be lifting alot more than them. And as long as this happening I think we will see alot more injuries in the gym.

Its stupid when you think about it, would I rather try to lift 240 pounds and hurt myself, just to TRY to look like a big man, or a BEAST? This guy sounds like an idiot.

Great story by the way.

I hope Da Beast learns a lesson yo.

Quote Originally Posted by JSully View Post
    I think I would have pulled out my camera phone and told him to smile as he lay there crippled.. JUST so I could show everyone on WBB how douchy he was..

that's the 1 thing you could have done better.. lol
    one other thing he could have done.

walk out with the girl.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Banned
    In Philly we had these toothpick Dbags who would come into the gym, put 135 on the squat bar, go down half an inch, then scream at the top of their lungs after every set was completed. After 6 months, the guy looked exactly the same. There are people like that, especially in inner cities. Still, the story almost seems too good to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by Phenom View Post
    baggy wife-beater. definitely a baggy wife-beater. and a fitted hat on, cocked to the side.
    maybe cornrows, with the ends sticking out the back of the hat, a chin-strap beard, doing the "check-checkit" thing with his hand while he mentions that he's a beast, dawg

Quote Originally Posted by Phenom View Post
    and a fitted hat on, cocked to the side.
    With his ears tucked in it.
    5'9". 34.-----------------------------BEST LIFTS-----------------------GOALS
    Bodyweight-------------------------BE 280 x 1------------------------BE 300 x 1
    Jan 2009: 151 lbs----------------SQ 365 x 2-----------------------SQ 400 x 1
    Jan 2010: 221 lbs----------------DL 405 x 1------------------------DL 500 x 1
    Current: 214 lbs
    bulking again -- working on my DL

You guys need to check your calendars more often.
    Last edited by d'Anconia; 04-02-2010 at 06:50 PM.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VikingWarlord View Post
    TL;DR

CLIFFS: Some skinny kid tries to lift the OPs weights in an attempt to prove he's a "beast" to his "girl" who is present in the gym. He injures his back and whines like a baby.

Interesting thing is he did do what he does and continued lifting his weights whilst the beast cried on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
    With his ears tucked in it.
    haha, 2Kool, are we at all close?