The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Changing my routine. Advice?

Im thinking of changing my routine up a tad. Currently I have moved into a 5x3, twice weekly full body. Before that I was doing 8x3 full body twice weekly. Before that I was doing 8-12 x 2-3 full body 3 times a week.

I am seeing strength go up now with the 5x? so I thought Id vamp it a little when the time comes. How about going with a 2 day push pull routine with each muscle group hit twice weekly.

push day= squat, bench, close grip bench, overhead press, calf raise
    Pull day= RDL, T-bar rows, chins, shrugs.

Id go with a 5x2-5 set/rep and try to add weight each week.

Would this work with a recomp diet? One where I eat to maintain but I choose all clean food or go with a carb cycle. I need to lose my excess bodyfat I gained over winter.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by earthbuddy1 View Post
    Im thinking of changing my routine up a tad. Currently I have moved into a 5x3, twice weekly full body. Before that I was doing 8x3 full body twice weekly. Before that I was doing 8-12 x 2-3 full body 3 times a week.

I am seeing strength go up now with the 5x? so I thought Id vamp it a little when the time comes. How about going with a 2 day push pull routine with each muscle group hit twice weekly.

push day= squat, bench, close grip bench, overhead press, calf raise
    Pull day= RDL, T-bar rows, chins, shrugs.

Id go with a 5x2-5 set/rep and try to add weight each week.

Would this work with a recomp diet? One where I eat to maintain but I choose all clean food or go with a carb cycle. I need to lose my excess bodyfat I gained over winter.
    To clarify, does your proposted routine involve (4) sessions per week? (two 'pull' and two 'push')

I think that it could work although I would definitely not follow a linear rep protocol, and instead do something like a (5) rep day and a (10-12) rep day - alternating. Otherwise you could run into some recovery / progression issues.

Personally I like the push/pull split; thoguh I usually break things down into Upper Body Push, Upper Body Pull, and Lower Body. Some people respond better to higher frequency though.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Wannabebig Member
    Yes, It will be 2 pull and 2 push. When I have tried hitting each muscle group 3 times a week, I really did not respond any better than I have with two sessions per muscle group, but I really ended up tired.

By a breaking upper body up into a push day and then a pull day, how often does each muscle group get hit? Does the lower day add stimulus to the upper body as well? If so, how? Or do you consider each muscle group hit once a week, and you feel that is a lower frequency?

I like the idea of one session being 5 reps and the other session being 10 to 12. I know I could use different exercises for each session, but would it be preferred? Like say Id have push pull " A " and push pull "B". A would be 5 reps with certain exercises and then B would be 10 to 12 with all different exercises. Would it be best to start out that way, or use that as a progression after several weeks of same exercises for A and B with A being 5 reps and B being 10 to 12?