The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    If it were me, I'd put two eye bolts into studs in the ceiling and secure tow straps to the bar.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shocker4221 View Post
    do all my training in my garage. The setup I have does have the safety bars similar to that in a power rack, just nothing to keep weight from going towards my feet.

in a shirt you should be more worried about the weight going toward your head...... it's pretty rare that you'll miss it toward your feet.......... even something like a face saver taped to the rack so if you miss the lift you don't smash your face........

in a pinch just some equipment to keep you from eating the bar will work, but everyone else on here is right, it might be worth it to drive somewhere to train once a month with people who really know their stuff......
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

Dr. Subtotal
    As someone who trains more beginners in shirts, I have to agree with Rob and Vinny on this one. You have a Rage, so the groove should be pretty forgiving. Doubles and Triples are definitely worth their weight at this point. While it may help confidence to touch heavier weights to mid range boards, nothing beats out getting full range reps to newbies in shirts. In fact, Vinny wrote a good article on triples-training on elite which you should select. Board training is great though for building a lockout and pushing your tricep strength. If your shirted groove matches your board groove, then someday you can take this into account.

Just also be aware that you'll need to bring up your lat and tricep strength drastically if you want to be a good shirted bencher. You can start by focusing on these aspects until you get a good crew to train with. Random strangers at the gym, your best friends, your neighbor's aunt and uncle, are NOT people you want spotting and helping with your shirted bench. Focus on extra work for these areas (see Westside GPP stuff) and things like rack presses, CG work, rows rows and more rows to prepare you for the shirt.
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...

Ok well that didn't go as planned at all. Spent over an hour trying to get the shirt on right, used powder, garbage bags and couldn't get the shirt seated properly in my arm pits, my arms are too big for the sleeves. I tried putting weight on bar to stretch it down, which was awfully painful around my shoulders with the seam almost cutting my arms off. Took the shirt off several times and tried stretching sleeves with two of us pulling on them but still didn't work. I don't really think the shirt is too small cause it seems to want to fit around the chest. I've read about using soccer balls or foot balls partially deflated to help stretch the sleeves, any other options?

Shocker,
    What size shirt is it? Did you size it correctly according to the sizing chart, BW, etc.?(just asking the obvious)

Keep in mind sometimes guys w/ stockier builds/ big arms have to go a size up to fit thier arms and get the chest plate taken in... Something to consider.

I have used water bottles to stretch sleeves out. You just need to find the right combination of bottle size and how many. Welcome to equipped benching. My tight shirt actually takes about 3 seconds to get on, sorry to rub it in. I use multiple size shirts. I know this sounds costly, but this is not a cheap sport unless you lift raw and don't travel to compete. Just a few things to think about.

Keep at it. Good things rarely come easy.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

It's a size 52. Yeah I sized it according to Inzer, my chest had a half inch so I even rounded up to make sure, then added the 2. Yes, I have a rather stocky build. It seemed as if I were able to get it on all the way, the chest would have fit pretty well. I ran out and bought two small footballs and am going to try and shove them in the sleeves. So much anticipation trying out the shirt just to get disappoined because of having big arms.

I just read in another question about wetting the shirt. Should this be done just prior to use?

okay, i've stretched the sleeves out enough to get them over my arms all the way and seated in my arm pits, but there is a seam that I think should go over the top of the shoulder and not on the side. This seam feels like it is restricting me from even getting the bar half way down because it feels like the seam wants to cut my arm off at the shoulder. Is this normal? I know it's hard to explain without seeing it.

okay, i've stretched the sleeves out enough to get them over my arms all the way and seated in my arm pits, but there is a seam that I think should go over the top of the shoulder and not on the side. This seam feels like it is restricting me from even getting the bar half way down because it feels like the seam wants to cut my arm off at the shoulder. Is this normal? I know it's hard to explain without seeing it.
    There should be a seam behind the tricep, below the shoulder.

In my opinion this shirt is too small for you as a beginner.
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

Quote Originally Posted by AdamBAG View Post
    There should be a seam behind the tricep, below the shoulder.

In my opinion this shirt is too small for you as a beginner.
    Agreed... This shirt sounds pretty darn tight, esp. for a beginner.

If you were more experianced I'd say add more weight, tuck hard, arch and pull the bar down... Normal shirt stuff. if its not hurtin it aint workin bro... You'll have plenty of bruising w/ a new shirt. However, trying to learn this way could be dangerous unless you have experianced training partners around!

Have you tried wetting the shirt down as stated earlier? Use a spray bottle and wet the chest plate and behind the arms prior to use... I did this w/ my SK and it really helped when I was trying to touch weight the first time.
    Good Luck,RC

yes the shirt sleeves are very tight and leave their mark, but the shoulders don't seem tight at all except for the seam that goes across the side delt. I had the seams lined up right on the triceps but the shoulder seam is what feels like it should be on top of the shoulder and not cutting into my side delts. No, i haven't tried to wet it before use but will if that would get the seam up higher on the shoulder.

That's right where the shirt is supposed to be. Unless you shove your shoulder down the sleeve, it's not going to be tight around the whole shoulder (nor should it be)

I was in my shirt just yesterday, my arms are bloodied up, but there is nothing around my shoulders and my shirt works just fine.

Sounds like this one is just too small for you to really get a feel for it.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

ok so the seam that attaches the sleeve to the shirt should be along the side delt and not on top? If that's the case then maybe the shirt could work, would just be a bit tight. Several of you said it sounds like it's too tight, should I get one the next size up?

Shocker,
    Have you benched in the shirt yet? Set the shirt w/ the sleeves seated in your arm-pits and the collar high.

Take some weight and give it a whirl... W/ spotters of course! Its the only way to break the shirt in and that will give you a lot better idea how the shirt is acting... Nothing ventured nothing gained! Get in tha' game bro!
    RC

I've tried using the shirt twice already. The second time it did seem like I was able to get the same weight down a hair more towards my chest. I am going to try to take a short video and post so everyone can see exactly what I'm doing wrong and see how the shirt is fitting.

Well I had to go buy another shirt because the Rage just wasn't stretching enough. I bought a Fury and spoke with Mr. Anderson about the previous problem with the Rage, and he agreed with many of you that it sounds like it didn't fit. I have worked out in the Fury twice now and it seems to fit much better than the other shirt. Here's the question? I did 375 raw not even a week ago and today when lifting in the shirt I had 405 and did 3 sets of 3. I'm able to get the bar down to about 3 inches from touching (haven't made the boards yet). Should I increase the weight or keep it where it is and let the shirt keep stretching?

Anyone??????

Add weight. It sounds like you're on the right track now. Ken is really good about getting a shirt you can use.

How much weight should I add at a time? I'm competing in a meet in 6 weeks and am wondering if I should train both in the shirt and raw each week till then? Also hoping to add video after tomorrows workout.

Shocker,
    Add weight to the bar but not too much... I'd say 25lb or so. No more than it takes to touch b/c you have to control the bar on the descent.

3" is a lot in the shirt world so you have to touch to figure out where to go from here. If I was (6) weeks out I would be trying to touch some weight every week!

Warm-up raw to about 80% 1rm, then shirt-up and try to touch some weight... Are you appling all the aforementioned points suggested thus far? (arch high, tuck elbows, belly up, pulling the bar down, etc.)
    RC
    RC

RC

I added up to 30 lbs today and still couldn't get the bar down to my chest. I figured it would take a little bit more than my raw bench but now i'm 60 lbs over. I was able to get it down to about 2 in from my chest. At the bottom, I kept the weight motionless and attempted to pull it down but it wasn't moving any lower. I couldn't take video today because of lack of available hands, but will on Tuesday when I try it again. I have been arching as much as I can so far, pulling on the bar down, trying to push my belly up, driving as best I can with my feet, but not sure how much i'm actually tucking my elbows. Hopefully I can get good enough video so I can get some pointers as I'm sure I'm messing something up. I still can't believe I'm laying under 400 lbs and trying to press it! These shirts may hurt like hell, but they are very impressive so far.

Tom

Shirted triples sometimes help. Try to get the bar lower each time. You also may need a little more weight and continue to work on tucking. Also may need to keep the collar a little higher.

Jay,

The first two times I used the shirt I was using 405 and triples each session. The lowest I was able to get the weight was about 3 inches from touching. The collar is as high as I can get it, just about touches my throat.

Jay,

The first two times I used the shirt I was using 405 and triples each session. The lowest I was able to get the weight was about 3 inches from touching. The collar is as high as I can get it, just about touches my throat.
    Some guys will get the chest plate wet with a spray bottle to help a new shirt stretch so you might try that. If your lockout strength is high enough you may just have to put more weight on the bar. Use three spotters if your a little unsure of it coming back up.

What size shirt did Ken sell you and what is your chest measurement?