The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My chest size is 49 1/2" and Ken sold me a size 48 Fury. I was skeptical at first because I first bought an Inzer Rage size 52 and wasn't able to even come close to getting it on but the Fury fits much better.

I'd say you're in the "right sized" shirt then. Ken put me in a 52 Super K and my chest is 54. It takes me about 700 to touch in it though and I'm still working the bugs out of it. I consider this my meet shirt. I called him back for suggestions on a training shirt and he put me in a 52 F-6 rather than a bigger shirt. This has worked out pretty well and I've been able to touch with 550 in the F-6. His advise to me was to work down the boards adding weight each week until I could touch. That may take alot of weight and it may take a little while to get used to the pressure that builds in your head when you're down low. I'd stick with the shirt though.

Well no video again, not enough available hands. I gave into peer pressure and attempted a PR and got it (380) raw. I managed to get the PR, and then tried to do some shirt work. Not sure if that was the best idea. I got 435 almost all the way down and then had a struggle locking out. I then dropped to 417 and was going to do several reps and see if I could touch. I was able to touch after pulling the bar like my life depended on it, but I wasn't able to press it up even half way. Not sure if I wore myself out from my PR or what? Any opinions?

I'd only go to 315 for a single. Then throw the shirt on. It sounds like your spending energy that you need to save for locking out a heavy single. You'll also want to do more lockout work like rack lockouts, 4 bd press and work the triceps hard. These were all problems I had when I started using shirts again. Now I know I will get the weight at least half way up and that's where the fight begins.

I hope you guys aren't getting tired of me yet. I have lifted in the Fury now 5 times and still don't have it mastered, not that I thought I would. Ok, today I started with 425 and did a set of 3 that came down to about an inch off my chest and it felt easy going up. I then wet the shirt and did 445 for a single to about just under an inch from my chest, also felt easy. I then jumped up to 455 and still couldn't touch but couldn't lock it out. Next set was 435, unknowing to me because I wanted to just drop 10 lbs to 445 but did a single and couldn't touch. Last did 445 for a single and touched and paused (seemed like forever) but couldn't lock it out. Being that I was able to touch with 445, should I remain at that weight and continue to work on it?

Post some video.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Yes, post some video. I imagine there is a technique issue that's keeping you from touching.
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

Can't see your entire setup with the vid view but you should get your grip out farther. Your arch is almost non-existant and your belt is to high. These three things will shorten your ROM alot, which will help you touch. Also, you don't tuck your elbows. If you tuck, you will touch EZ.
    Can't wait 'til tomorrow, 'cause I get stronger every day!

Ryano,

I thought I was doing all of those to some extent, but you really can't see for yourself until you look from the outside. How much further would you recommend on hand placement or is it just trial and error? I will try to do better on those and take another video so I can re-check to see if there is any difference. Thanks for the help.

Tom

shocker,
    I admire your tenacity bro... Hang in there and keep working! Nobody ever said geared PL'ing was easy.

Once you master it though you'll love it! As far as grip; index finger covering the rings... Apply all the other stuff Ryano suggested (arch-belly up, tuck elbows more)
    RC

Quote Originally Posted by shocker4221 View Post
    Ryano,

I thought I was doing all of those to some extent, but you really can't see for yourself until you look from the outside. How much further would you recommend on hand placement or is it just trial and error? I will try to do better on those and take another video so I can re-check to see if there is any difference. Thanks for the help.

Tom
    I think if you move your grip to maximum comp grip (index/pointer finger on the ring) then you will be able to touch with lighter weights.
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

thanks guys for all the help. I plan on working in the shirt again on Mon and will focus on everything mentioned and hopefully take another video to post. I do have another question about the shirt, it's a Fury and i've read that shirt's groove is similar to traditional benching, touching on the chest as compared to higher end shirts that have a groove that brings the bar down to the upper abs area. I tried to bring it up higher on my chest and it didn't feel like it was even possible due to the shirt not wanting to stretch that way. Not sure if i'm making this too technical or should just bring it down to my lower chest/upper abs.

Thanks rob, though i'm getting started in PL'ing a bit late I still think with the right knowledge if applied properly, I can put up some good numbers.

The groove in a Fury is higher than that of an F6, but you still need to touch below nipple or just at bottom of sternum area. Depends on your build and how the shirt is fit. Most feds it doesn't matter, just touch. If you need to touch lower, do it. Just check the feds rules that you are going to lift in.

You are not being patient enough. If you were training with us, every one of those would have touched. Nut up and let the bar settle. Also, get yourself in a stable position. Your legs should not be coming up like that when you bench. You should also have that guy behind you help lift off. It will help you start your bench from a better position.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

I had spotters on each side of the bar that help with lift offs and racking, the kid behind me i guess was just goofing off ( I had words with him afterwards). I think I started moving my legs only after my spotters grabbed the weight, but I see what your saying. I realize i've been trying to rush this new experience with the shirt, just eager to catch up since getting into it so late. I wish I was able to train with many of you guys or even just watch and learn, unfortunately the closest gym with any powerlifters to me is almost 3 hours away.

..unfortunately the closest gym with any powerlifters to me is almost 3 hours away.
    You need to make that drive.

I had spotters on each side of the bar that help with lift offs and racking, the kid behind me i guess was just goofing off ( I had words with him afterwards). I think I started moving my legs only after my spotters grabbed the weight, but I see what your saying. I realize i've been trying to rush this new experience with the shirt, just eager to catch up since getting into it so late. I wish I was able to train with many of you guys or even just watch and learn, unfortunately the closest gym with any powerlifters to me is almost 3 hours away.
    You need to get someone else handing off or wack that dude in the head with a 10 lb plate then.

I personally dont like the side handoffs unless the lifter is using ridiculous weight... Its not as much about lifting the weight as it is about you being able to get set up with the bar in the correct position and be steady. i've had my 140 lb wife hand off 700+ to me. With a person on either side, someone almost always lifts the weight faster or picks up one side more than the other unless they are extremely experienced. You can see that in your video. You start rocking no more than you get the handoff---I'd blame the guy on the left based on the bar movement, but its hard to say because you can't see him.

you absolutely must stay tight to bench in a shirt and get anything from the shirt. You were rocking all over the place. You've got a pretty good summary of problems to work on here in this thread. I personally would write them down on a piece of paper and make a list... go through that list either in your head or have a training partner read it to you every time you get on the bench on Monday.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

Well I lifted and tried to do everything as suggested. I took video which will probably be posted tomorrow. I must have done something right because I was able to touch with lighter weight (405). I touced with 405 for two singles and then did 455 twice for singles before pushing up 475. I was able to touch with each lift and felt I may have had a bit more in me. After reviewing the video it didn't appear I was tucking my arms too much even though I felt like I was. Hopefully I can get some more feedback after posting the video. Thanks to everyone for all the advice and tips.

Great work! I can't wait to see the vid.

Well I lifted and tried to do everything as suggested. I took video which will probably be posted tomorrow. I must have done something right because I was able to touch with lighter weight (405). I touced with 405 for two singles and then did 455 twice for singles before pushing up 475. I was able to touch with each lift and felt I may have had a bit more in me. After reviewing the video it didn't appear I was tucking my arms too much even though I felt like I was. Hopefully I can get some more feedback after posting the video. Thanks to everyone for all the advice and tips.
    Good job!
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

Congrats. Now that you can touch, it's on to bigger PR's, for sure.

Outstanding!!!!

Sounds like things are "clicking" now... Look forward to seeing the vid bro!

after looking at video it still doesn't look like i'm tucking my elbows in very much