The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 78
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Chiefland, Florida
    Posts
    207

    Beginner with bench shirt. Help please

    I just purchased an Inzer Rage bench shirt and have been trying to find the best way to break it in. I am also looking for some good advice on workouts with the shirt and how often. I plan on entering a contest in 3 months and hope i can master the shirt before then. Any help is very appreciated.

    Tom

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Bad Attitude Gym AdamBAG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    986
    Make sure you have adequate spotters.

    Work up to your raw max and then put the shirt on. Bring your raw max down as far as you can. If it touches cool. If not, no worries. Add 10-20lbs and try to touch and press the weight.

    As far as workouts go that's a tough one to answer since we don't know what your normal training looks like. A good start for a beginner in my opinion is to take a few bench workouts as "skill days" and not worry about the weight. Just practice in the shirt.
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

    Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

    Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

    Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    737
    Quote Originally Posted by shocker4221 View Post
    I just purchased an Inzer Rage bench shirt and have been trying to find the best way to break it in. I am also looking for some good advice on workouts with the shirt and how often. I plan on entering a contest in 3 months and hope i can master the shirt before then. Any help is very appreciated.

    Tom

    If you don't have plenty of spotters get into a power rack. Its important in a new shirt becuase blurbs happen. You can feel great, get slightly otu of the groove and the bar dumps to your face or to your stomach. If you dump to your belly, a single spotter from by your head may not be able to catch it. The rack will save you.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

    Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

    The next stop: PRO total.

    HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Chiefland, Florida
    Posts
    207
    My workout schedule consists of 3 days, Mon, Tue, and either Thur or Fri. I always do bench on Mondays along with tri's. Work back and bi's on the second day, and legs and shoulders on the third. I have recently started doing less reps and sets as compared to prior workouts that were more designed for body building. I unfortunately don't have access to a power rack and only have the one spotter for now.

    So after working up to my 1 RM and putting on the shirt and attempting the same, should I continue to add weight until I am able to bring the weight down? And once i'm able to get it down, how many sets or reps would be advisable? Thanks for any help, i'm not new to lifting just to power lifting and have noticed many differences already

  6. #5
    Primal Power Systems
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Oregon City, Oregon
    Posts
    107
    Being a new guy with a shirt here is my suggestion. A couple things you need to keep in mind is if you cut weight the shirt will not be as tight as now come comp time. So what I would start off doing is a board cycle with 4 boards and just get a feel for the shirt with very little range of motion. Every week reduce a board until you are full range that will give you several sets in the shirt to get used to it before you just touch your chest. Once you get down to a one board you will have a better idea of what weight it will take to touch. Just know you will not perfect the shirt in just a few weeks it will take a long time and you just need to be patient. while doing your board work do sets of 3 reps for 3 sets.
    Adrian Larsen-
    711lbs bench single ply
    Primal Power Systems
    ELITE TRAINING EXTREME PERFORMANCE

    AT LARGE NUTRITION

    Ken Anderson
    Anderson Powerlifting
    WBB Journal - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...n-Training-Log

  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Chiefland, Florida
    Posts
    207
    I do need to drop in weight, but not much. I had a 7 month layoff and am back at it again. I have never used boards though I have seen them being used in videos. Looks like they are just 2 x 4's stacked on eachother, or am I wrong? Also should I just use the amount of weight necessary to get the bar down to the boards or go heavier? And should I train without the shirt at all since I only have 3 months before the meet? Sorry for so many questions, i've been trying to read as much as possible because I live in the sticks and there's no gym or pros to talk to.

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    703
    Shocker,
    A lot goes into shirt benchig bro... I just started a year ago and I'm still learning! Its way beyond the scope of my ability to explain in detail.

    If you dont have anyone to train you then go on line and check out as many articles and videos as you can. This forum, WBB & Critical Bench have a lot of valuable info on benching w/ a shirt... As far as 3-months being enough time to learn a shirt, thats entirely up to you. I trained in my first shirt for at least 6-months before my first equipped meet.
    You have to master the shirt first and be confident w/ touching hvy. weights before stepping on the platform. Boards dont mean nothing in the shirt world... You need to try to touch each workout session and not worry about bds. at this point... They are mainly for working the lock-out & overload work. Good luck which ever way you choose bro...

    RC

  9. #8
    Super Moderator vdizenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    5,359
    Put the shirt on and start working triples. Skip the boards, it will teach you an unatural groove. Bring the weight down, when it locks up press it. The second rep should come down a little further. Your third rep should come down even more. Be very paient on that third rep in the hole. When weight locks up, be patient and it will come down more. Don't worry about touching the first couple of weeks. Work with weight you are comfortable with. Just keep learning the groove and practicing.

    Beware, the first couple of sets in the shirt you will hear popping and cracking. It's just the shirt breaking in.

    Take some video and we can give you even more help. Best of luck.


    Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

    My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

    "The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

  10. #9
    Primal Power Systems
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Oregon City, Oregon
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by shocker4221 View Post
    I do need to drop in weight, but not much. I had a 7 month layoff and am back at it again. I have never used boards though I have seen them being used in videos. Looks like they are just 2 x 4's stacked on eachother, or am I wrong? Also should I just use the amount of weight necessary to get the bar down to the boards or go heavier? And should I train without the shirt at all since I only have 3 months before the meet? Sorry for so many questions, i've been trying to read as much as possible because I live in the sticks and there's no gym or pros to talk to.

    I know the last couple posts say dont use the boards. Well I am all for using boards and I think that it will help you learn the shirt. But that is just me. I would never train full range with a new shirt right away. 3 Months is long enough to figure out the shirt as long as you are patient and take your time. The goal of using the boards is not to overload your bench it is to become comfortable with your shirt and work with a little heavier weight than you could going full range. For instance my last comp best lift was 711 SO my board cycle is working with 730-745 range this will help me feel the weight out and become comfortable with it. Once I have passed those numbers full range I will increase But the idea isnt to just put as much weight on as possible and crush you. Let me know how that works if you want to try it. If you have any questions feel free to let me know.
    Adrian Larsen-
    711lbs bench single ply
    Primal Power Systems
    ELITE TRAINING EXTREME PERFORMANCE

    AT LARGE NUTRITION

    Ken Anderson
    Anderson Powerlifting
    WBB Journal - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...n-Training-Log

  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Chiefland, Florida
    Posts
    207
    I appreciate all the info but i'm still uncertain as to how much I should train in the shirt each session, what is too much or is it just how I feel? I also am unsure about frequency, should i train in shirt and without on same days or rotate?

    Thanks again everyone

  12. #11
    BIG IRON FREAK
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    omaha, ne
    Posts
    109
    im gunna have to go ahead and disagree with everyone who says not to use boards, with shirt work its a necessity IMO.

    Just starting out, keep it at double, we rarely ever do more than 2 reps. And I wouldnt go up to your raw max either, u kno what your raw max is, this is shirted benching raw has nothing to do with shirted benching. I go 225 to my chest, 275 to a 2board, 315 or so to a 3 and put on my shirt. Id do a few weeks with 2 and 3 boards. if youre working 2 and 3 boards u can probably do about 5 working sets. The lower the boards get, the harder its gunna hit the body and youll wanna drop a set, or do a single instead of a double.

  13. #12
    Super Moderator vdizenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    5,359
    As a judge, lifter, and somewhat of a coach, I will say this, board presses in the shirt are overused. More and more people are bombing out on a regular basis because of them. I think board presses with the shirt can be a good secondary exercise. I don't care if you use a half board, that last inch is the bitch of the bunch. I hit my first 800 bench 5 years ago. My training then was reps and full range in the shirt. After that I fell in love with boards because that is what I was told all the big time benchers were using. Yeah, I was able to hit 900 and up to 1000 lb board presses, however, not one pr in a meet. This past fall I did one training cycle full range and hit a 20lb. pr as a 40 year old. Coincidence I think not.. But hey, wtf do I know.

    Of course there are exceptions to this, but I see them far and few between. If you were training at a gym like Big Iron with a coach like Rick and lifters like Heck, Briggs, Frankl, Grandick, etc. my advice might be different.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 04-04-2010 at 02:04 PM.


    Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

    My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

    "The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

  14. #13
    Primal Power Systems
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Oregon City, Oregon
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Manley View Post
    im gunna have to go ahead and disagree with everyone who says not to use boards, with shirt work its a necessity IMO.

    Just starting out, keep it at double, we rarely ever do more than 2 reps. And I wouldnt go up to your raw max either, u kno what your raw max is, this is shirted benching raw has nothing to do with shirted benching. I go 225 to my chest, 275 to a 2board, 315 or so to a 3 and put on my shirt. Id do a few weeks with 2 and 3 boards. if youre working 2 and 3 boards u can probably do about 5 working sets. The lower the boards get, the harder its gunna hit the body and youll wanna drop a set, or do a single instead of a double.



    Great advice. If you are three months out from a comp there is no need to rotate in and out of your shirt train in your shirt and get it dialed in.
    Adrian Larsen-
    711lbs bench single ply
    Primal Power Systems
    ELITE TRAINING EXTREME PERFORMANCE

    AT LARGE NUTRITION

    Ken Anderson
    Anderson Powerlifting
    WBB Journal - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...n-Training-Log

  15. #14
    BIG IRON FREAK
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    omaha, ne
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    As a judge, lifter, and somewhat of a coach, I will say this, board presses in the shirt are overused. More and more people are bombing out on a regular basis because of them. I think board presses with the shirt can be a good secondary exercise. I don't care if you use a half board, that last inch is the bitch of the bunch. I hit my first 800 bench 5 years ago. My training then was reps and full range in the shirt. After that I fell in love with boards because that is what I was told all the big time benchers were using. Yeah, I was able to hit 900 and up to 1000 lb board presses, however, not one pr in a meet. This past fall I did one training cycle full range and hit a 20lb. pr as a 40 year old. Coincidence I think not.. But hey, wtf do I know.

    Of course there are exceptions to this, but I see them far and few between. If you were training at a gym like Big Iron with a coach like Rick and lifters like Heck, Briggs, Frankl, Grandick, etc. my advice might be different.
    The thing with boards is, people dont use them right, you could say the same thing about box squats. If used wrong, youre not going to get results that you want. Ive seen boards work very effectively on beginners to advanced, its our primary exercise and we have produced many many, 4,5,6,700+lbs benchers at all weight classes. Just my opinion tho.

  16. #15
    Super Moderator vdizenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    5,359
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Manley View Post
    The thing with boards is, people dont use them right, you could say the same thing about box squats. If used wrong, youre not going to get results that you want. Ive seen boards work very effectively on beginners to advanced, its our primary exercise and we have produced many many, 4,5,6,700+lbs benchers at all weight classes. Just my opinion tho.
    Yes, if used correctly. We are talking to a beginner in the shirt. When you say "we" are you talking about the coach and crew at Big? If Tom could come train with you guys I'd recommend he listen to every word he was told. That's not the case here.


    Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

    My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

    "The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

  17. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Chiefland, Florida
    Posts
    207
    Not sure if the beginner part was forgotten or the only one spotter. I plan on utilizing any and all techniques in the future when I am able to not only recruit more help but get the necessary equipment such as boards. I could make them simply enough with 2 x 4's but in every video I have seen there is usually one person holding the boards standing near the lifters legs and then there are spotters. My work out partner is not the strongest of guys but I have faith he can help if ever needed, I just wouldn't want him having to do too many things when I'm sitting under 400 lbs. So given the short amount of time (3 months) till the meet, I should use the shirt with every workout after working up to my 1 RM raw and then put on the shirt doing up to 3 sets? of 2 or 3. I know i need to be patient with the shirt, but should I go as high in weight necessary to bring the weight down as far as I can from the start?

    I hope you guys aren't getting aggravated with all my questions. I've been doing my homework by reading as much as possible too. Thanks again

  18. #17
    Super Moderator vdizenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    5,359
    You are doing fine shocker. I certainly hope you will be benching inside a rack. If not, you'll need three spotters. A liftoff guy and a spot on each side. Benching in a shirt can be very dangerous and should not be taken lightly.


    Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

    My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

    "The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

  19. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Rock Falls IL
    Posts
    740
    Ok first off I think I am qualified. To put my two cents in on this topic. Mick you are fortunate to be trained by the best coach in the sport. Rick Hussey is full of knowledge and knows how to bring the best out of everyone he works with. I have trained at BIG in the past intense atmosphere with so many elite lifters. What Rick has you guys do works but keep in mind not everyone is blessed to train with a full team and coach. I am a huge fan of board training but I am a firm believer in boards being for exsperienced lifters. I have to agree with Vincent this newbie will be better off to work with tripples and no boards. He trains with only one person so his groove and his spotter should should be concentrating on spotting not holding boards. Even as exsperienced as I am and with all the all time world records I have broken and held boards can even **** up my groove. You have to master full range before you can rely on boards.

  20. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Chiefland, Florida
    Posts
    207
    Unfortunately no power rack available. So I guess both myself and spotter will have to take it nice and slow.

  21. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sumter, SC
    Posts
    1,787
    Quote Originally Posted by shocker4221 View Post
    Unfortunately no power rack available. So I guess both myself and spotter will have to take it nice and slow.
    Without a rack or the appropriate spotters, you really shouldn't be training in a shirt. Bad things happen fast, no matter how slowly you believe you are going.

  22. #21
    SFW! drew's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    8,128
    Quote Originally Posted by shocker4221 View Post
    Unfortunately no power rack available. So I guess both myself and spotter will have to take it nice and slow.
    You are asking to get hurt or killed. Even with spotters, bad things can happen when you put on a bench shirt. Don't be ****ing stupid.

    Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

  23. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Chiefland, Florida
    Posts
    207
    OK, so i'm hearing no power rack, no shirt lift. Any ideas of how I can still lift and not kill myself if something goes wrong?

  24. #23
    SFW! drew's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    8,128
    Quote Originally Posted by shocker4221 View Post
    OK, so i'm hearing no power rack, no shirt lift. Any ideas of how I can still lift and not kill myself if something goes wrong?
    Get more training partners.

    Honestly, if something goes wrong in the shirt, there is absolutely nothing that you can do to get out of it without someone else pulling the weight off of you.

    Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

  25. #24
    Super Moderator vdizenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    5,359
    Where will you be training?


    Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

    My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

    "The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

  26. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Chiefland, Florida
    Posts
    207
    do all my training in my garage. The setup I have does have the safety bars similar to that in a power rack, just nothing to keep weight from going towards my feet.

Similar Threads

  1. Bench Press Raw Competitor guideline for 1st Bench Shirt
    By Niko_El_Piko in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-09-2009, 11:59 PM
  2. Bench training - chain bench and shirt / boards
    By mikesbench in forum Members' Pics and Videos
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-23-2008, 09:21 PM
  3. What exactly does a bench shirt do?
    By Altephor in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-14-2006, 10:18 PM
  4. Bench shirt
    By John0101 in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-05-2003, 02:34 PM
  5. Bench Shirt
    By Kayak_boy in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-11-2002, 07:26 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •