The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nik00117 View Post
    IMHO kids are getting dummer, and dummer as time goes on and it's scary. Good food needs to be served in our school, if you think about if a kid eats 1,095 meals in a year, 360 (a bit more then a 1/3) of their yearly food intake is coming from the school.
    The irony in this quote is fantastic.

Also, see the quote in my signature.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

He did a video for ted.com before the first episode. It was worth watching : http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/jamie_oliver.html

I don't think there is value in demonizing the school lunch program, but, like he said in the speech above, school is a great opportunity to teach kids about eating/cooking healthy because they sure as hell aren't learning that at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Borschtbeet View Post
    I had trouble watching it. I only watched the first episode. Those dumb lunch ladies were pissing me off tremendously with their ignorance and their bitchiness towards Oliver.
    Most average "lunch ladies" have zero power over budgets and menu. Of course, if they banded together and worked very hard for change, it could happen, but that's like asking people on the line at a Ford factory to make improvements on the Taurus. JMO.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Gamer/Lifter
    Most average "lunch ladies" have zero power over budgets and menu. Of course, if they banded together and worked very hard for change, it could happen, but that's like asking people on the line at a Ford factory to make improvements on the Taurus. JMO.
    Off subject but the Taurus SHO is an awesome car.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Combat Infantryman
    360 meals per year implies that a child is in school everyday for lunch, except for 5 days every year. This is not how the American school system works. I'd say I probably ate lunch only half that many times, about 180 lunches per year at school. It was probably a lot less, as that number assumes 5 days of school a week for 9 months.

I don't think this show will catch on. Americans hate to be told they're wrong and what to do, especially by a non-American. I think if this guy was black, those dudes in WV would have killed him. The hate they had for him before he even showed up was very thick.
    U.S. Army Infantry
    Eastern Michigan University Eagle

Wannabebig New Member
    Most average "lunch ladies" have zero power over budgets and menu. Of course, if they banded together and worked very hard for change, it could happen, but that's like asking people on the line at a Ford factory to make improvements on the Taurus. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    He did a video for ted.com before the first episode. It was worth watching : http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/jamie_oliver.html
    I'm pretty sure it was posted here a while back, maybe by BFGUITAR? I'd been waiting for the start of the show ever since I saw that speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    I don't think there is value in demonizing the school lunch program, but, like he said in the speech above, school is a great opportunity to teach kids about eating/cooking healthy because they sure as hell aren't learning that at home.
    I'm not sure the intent is to demonize it, exactly. Part of it is probably creating drama for the TV show and part of it has to do with understanding that a portion of American society has to do with not worrying about changing things until something is taken to an extreme.

I don't think there's anyone that believes the system is working properly but, sadly, it takes something really big to get us complacent Americans to change anything.

Quote Originally Posted by charchilp View Post
    Most average "lunch ladies" have zero power over budgets and menu. Of course, if they banded together and worked very hard for change, it could happen, but that's like asking people on the line at a Ford factory to make improvements on the Taurus. JMO
    I hope you get eaten by the turbo-fatties in Huntington.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik00117 View Post
    IMHO kids are getting dummer, and dummer as time goes on and it's scary. Good food needs to be served in our school, if you think about if a kid eats 1,095 meals in a year, 360 (a bit more then a 1/3) of their yearly food intake is coming from the school.
    Sorry, I just had to quote it too. Nik is always funny to me, nothing ever makes sense past an IQ of maybe 90. If you were stupid, it would make perfect sense....it just takes that extra little mental fortitude that Nik seems to be missing. lol.

These questions are boring to me because again, the answer is money. It's cheaper to give our kids junk, so thats what they get. Then they try to sin tax the junk if you buy it after they shoved into your kids faces full time for 12 years straight.

Lunch ladies always seem to be absolute scum of earth. I don't get it.

Wannabebig New Member
    Been watching the show. Liked the concept of teaching the school kids to eat better quality food. Willing to tolerate the reality show production of the show. Didn't know about the UK version Jamie did beforehand, till after I watched the premiere. Been seeing all sorts of main stream media coverage, the most interesting of which follows.
    http://reason.com/archives/2010/03/2...ood/singlepage