The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Online Backup

Online Backup

We had a minor scare with our home laptop this week.
    Looking for opinions about online backup, or perhaps external hard drives.

www.adrive.com claims 50 gig for free.

Opinions?
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Gamer/Lifter
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

I don't know anything about online storage, honestly, but I would be skeptical of anything that is supposedly free. Can't help ya there. External hard drives are great though.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Western+...&skuId=9258885

This is a quality product from a trusted brand. If you don't mind dropping $100 then you can't do much better than this, but you could find some in the 250-500GB range for probably around $60-80
    ::::::::::::::::::::Updated 9-16-11::::::::::::::::::::
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 408 Squat Max @ 370
    CG Bench 1x7 @ 225 Power Clean Max @ 235
    W Chinups 3x10 @ +50 Dips 1x5 @ +115

Height - 6'3 Weight - 194lbs Age - 21

"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

depends on what ur backing up. i got a 150gig external a few years ago for about 80 bucks, im sure its cheaper now, or more space for the same price. may be a bit more expensive, but its a lot easier to put files in/take files out, backing up files online takes forever

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Go with two external hard-drives.

They like to fail.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

I have an Apple Time Capsule. It's schweet, and I really only use it at a basic level. It's a wireless, server-grade hard drive, and also acts as a wired/wireless router. It's super duper stable. I never have to reset it or mess with it. And, I can just drag anything to it that I want to backup. Ihave a 500gig model, which I don't think are made anymore. My girl for it for me and I think they were getting rid of the 500's and only selling the TB models.

Maybe give 'em a look if you want something high quality.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Combat Infantryman
    Mozy gives 2GB for free, no strings attached: http://mozy.com/home/free

Beyond 2GB, they charge $4.95 a month for unlimited.
    U.S. Army Infantry
    Eastern Michigan University Eagle

It really depends on what level of protection you want and how critical the data is. If the house burns down that external hard drive is of no help. If you have a lightning strike you may lose it all. I have herad great things about carbonite.com. You have to pay for the service, but once installed it runs automatically and if it's on your PC you can have it automatically backed up.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Bikkstah View Post
    Mozy gives 2GB for free, no strings attached: http://mozy.com/home/free

Beyond 2GB, they charge $4.95 a month for unlimited.
    This.

Gamer/Lifter

It really depends on what level of protection you want and how critical the data is. If the house burns down that external hard drive is of no help. If you have a lightning strike you may lose it all. I have herad great things about carbonite.com. You have to pay for the service, but once installed it runs automatically and if it's on your PC you can have it automatically backed up.
    Dunno, when I worked in the PC shop we had a burnt PC come in from a photographer who had all his HDDS burnt, this represented tens of thosuands of dollars of lost income if we couldn't recover them.

Since the PC was turned off all we did was clean the connectors up, and hook the HDDS up to a new PC and it worked like a charm, his PC was melted...

But I guess that is a side benefit of online storage.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

We have a fire proof box I keep my external hard drives in. Anytime we get something we need to update or keep protected, like bills, child support records, etc, we update the files on the external, and put it back in the fireproof/waterproof box. Our house also has surge and lightning protection, since we recently replaced our electrical panel, we added these things in with it for added protection and a cheaper insurance policy. If you're that worried about fires, look up iosafe hard drives. We've used some of those at work and they're awesome. We had a 1TB hard drive, paid around $200 for it, it's fireproof and waterproof right out of the box. I've been pro external hard drive for the past few years and wouldn't use anything else for back up/transporting data. I use my laptop for software/graphics design stuff so uploading to the external, then just taking it some place has proven easier for me. You can get a 500GB external hard drive for about 60.00 online. All you have to do plug it in to the USB drive, do whatever you need to do, either leave it there or unplug and put up somewhere. To me it's quicker then going to a web page, logging in (I have so many log ins I frequently forget them, between state mandated passwords that look like 23dsf#@TEews and regular passwords, yeah.) then uploading what you need (which I'm sure would take time especially for larger files) then logging out, for time sake, external just seems much quicker to me.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

http://www.mediafire.com/ is another good one

If you're set on keeping files online, why not just go with an FTP source, and load files on to it to save them? May be cheaper then some of the online storage websites. You could get FTP hosting for about $5 a month, the more space you need the more it would cost of course. If you know anyone that has a dedicated server, you could ask them for permission to use a small amount of space for a monthly fee, or if you know them well enough, for free. I used to run 2 dedicated servers out of The Planet" in downtown Dallas, I always let friends have FTP access, but yeah, gaming days are over so I no longer have them.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May