The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Do you still train when you have a cold?

This is hardly an earth-shaking topic, so I put it in Gen Chat.

I've got that cruddy cold that's going around.
    Crap in the sinuses and throat in the morning, and a nagging cough.
    No other symptoms, and still feel OK.

Part of me says, "Train through it, you'll benefit from it."
    Another part of me says, "Take time off so your body can rest, you'll get over it more quickly."

Opinions?
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Personally, I always train through it. If it was bad enough that I couldn't get out of bed, obviously I'd skip, but otherwise I go.

If you're asking whether or not training will have a negative effect on your cold or not, I can't answer. Logically I'd think training through a cold would make the cold worse, but my personal experience indicates otherwise. That's only anecdotal evidence though...
    5'10"

Ultra Nasty Hypertrophy journal (HCT-12)-http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...rnal!-(HCT-12)

Old My 5-3-1 Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132576

If I have a slight cold I still train but it seems to beat you up more. You are most likely better off to just rest and come back refreshed. It won't make you smaller or weaker.

Always. Is it a good idea? Probably not. But I do it anyways :P
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Depends how bad it is. If I have a cough and the sniffles, yes. If I have an actual cold, no.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

Garage Lifter
    Yes but I may not push as hard depending on how I feel. Make sure to pay a lot of attention to your recovery.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

I don't. But I am weak.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    I have a simple "Neck Rule"

Symptoms neck up I train, symptoms neck down, dont train
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Wannabebig Member
    If its a cold, I generally don't but I'll still spot and load. Maybe I'll do something like drag a sled but nothing major.

If its just allergies which I get around this time and the fall like clockwork, I train through it and don't really notice anything being off other than having a little more pressure.

if its something light then ill train through it. if im actually sick though, like feeling it through my whole body, i wont train. my bodies under enough stress fighting off whatever it is that i have, so i see no need in adding more stress to it. i dont get sick often at all, but when i do its pretty bad. i know my training is gonna suffer if i hit the weights when im sick and i wont be able to go full force, so i just focus on resting so i can get back in the gym quicker. on top of that, i dont wanna spread my germs around all of the equipment, out of respect for all the other people in the gym that im sure dont wanna get sick.
    Last edited by soclydeza; 04-08-2010 at 01:44 PM.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soclydeza View Post
    on top of that, i dont wanna spread my germs around all of the equipment, out of respect for all the other people in the gym that im sure dont wanna get sick.
    I honestly don't care about that part, those people will likely get sick eventually anyway. I'm just strengthening their immune system!

I can't stand to miss lifting days
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

I'll go light usually - generally, I'll feel better and sleep better. LIGHT though.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

I cut all my sets by a third last night, and now two days off before my sat-sun days.
    Body seems ok with it.
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis