The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

SS ..Gaining Size Question and the gym guru ?

Hi guys and gals,

I am just few workouts into the SS routine and I love the simplicity of it and have to say what on paper looks very easy is not turning out that way if my muscle soreness is anything to go by...

One thing that has crossed my mind is how does this type of workout benefit such areas as biceps and triceps etc....the reason I ask is that one local gym guru with eighteen inch arms tells me that while I carry on with the SS type of training my arms will not grow at any significant rate....?

I understand that they come into play (bi's and Tri's) when lifting this way but is the gym guru right in saying growth is very slow doing it this way ?

thanks

confused of U.K.
    Last edited by wanagetstrong; 04-04-2010 at 02:20 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    Keep working at SS and after 6 months or so, put a pic up and then people can get an idea of what is going on. We'll let ya know if ya need to adjust something. I wouldn't worry about the "guru". The guy has probably been lifting for a long time and his workout is gonna vary from all those years.

Just keep at it and keep us up to date!

SS is a great program for overall strength and size. You get bigger all over, with accompanied functional strength. Your triceps and biceps are not going to be popping out all huge because everything else will be proportionally bigger too. This is the way the body is supposed to be, since the bi's and tris are muscle that support the prime movers (the pecs/shoulders/back).

Like mentioned above, the guru has probably been training for years to get his arms. My best advice would be to work on SS by the book, eat and rest a lot. Once you hit the end of linear progression, THEN you can add some direct arm work at higher reps.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

Quote Originally Posted by wanagetstrong View Post
    Hi guys and gals,

I am just few workouts into the SS routine and I love the simplicity of it and have to say what on paper looks very easy is not turning out that way if my muscle soreness is anything to go by...

One thing that has crossed my mind is how does this type of workout benefit such areas as biceps and triceps etc....the reason I ask is that one local gym guru with eighteen inch arms tells me that while I carry on with the SS type of training my arms will not grow at any significant rate....?

I understand that they come into play (bi's and Tri's) when lifting this way but is the gym guru right in saying growth is very slow doing it this way ?

thanks

confused of U.K.
    As a beginner, you should worry about getting your big lifts up. If you can start out benching 105 pounds, and in a few months you can bench 175 pounds, do you think you'll have bigger arms? If you can squat 135 pounds and in a few months you're squatting 225, do you think you'll be bigger and stronger? The answer is yes.

Also, growing is more about diet than routine imo. If you don't properly refuel your muscles with protein and carbs, then you will be cheating yourself.

Good luck and rippetoes is a great program! Keep us informed on how your progress goes!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raleighwood View Post
    SS is a great program for overall strength and size. You get bigger all over, with accompanied functional strength. Your triceps and biceps are not going to be popping out all huge because everything else will be proportionally bigger too. This is the way the body is supposed to be, since the bi's and tris are muscle that support the prime movers (the pecs/shoulders/back).

Like mentioned above, the guru has probably been training for years to get his arms. My best advice would be to work on SS by the book, eat and rest a lot. Once you hit the end of linear progression, THEN you can add some direct arm work at higher reps.
    Thanks for the reply ..the guru seemed to be saying that "yes you will get stronger but the rate of growth (mass) will be very slow and not noticable for a long time"....But having said that I came accross another guy in the gym that just uses the major compounds not SS but a basic style of training three days per week from newby and he swears that its the way forward....

On the topic of eating/diet...the gomad is off my radar due to intolorence to milk but I am pretty much eating everything in sight that is relatively clean....I know I should track cals but to be honest I am not that disciplined to track and plan every meal..

thanks for your help guys
    Last edited by wanagetstrong; 04-04-2010 at 03:45 PM.

If your bulking on SS,tracking calories is not a big deal. Just make sure you are gaining weight and your lift numbers are steadily rising and you will be fine.
    "The deadlift is more functional in that itís very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy *h*t up off the ground" Rip

Max 3x5 Goal 3x5 by 12/31/11 *1X5
    Bench (245) (275) 285x1x1 335
    Dead (385)* (445) 435x1x1 505
    Squat (320) (355) 355X1X1 405
    Squat (195) (275) 20 Reppers!
    (950) (1075) 1075 1245 Goals (Not including 20 reps)
    5'10" 288Lbs 02/01/2011 Goal Weight 230 On my way back from a Break!

Banned
    Tracking calories sucks, but you can really go either way. Some guys go by the "feel" of it and some guys track like crazy. I lean more toward the "crazy tracker" because I have a pretty quick metabolism and I need to get the correct amount for me and make sure that I get it everyday.

You should try at least try tracking your protein intake so you can get in the 1-1.5g per pound of bodyweight, so at least you know that your protein level is adequate so those muscles can get the fuel they need. Also, all 3 macros are important, so keep that in mind too.

Give it a go, you might not mind it so much once you get it going!

Livestrong.com has a decent tracking tool. Otherwise Fitday.com

Good luck man!

I wonder how eating a dozen eggs a day (ADEAD) would compare to GOMAD. Less carbs with the eggs, but definitely a high amount of protein and good fat.

Any experiences?
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

Garage Lifter
    GOMAD isn't just about the calories and/or protein. There's also IGF-1. Hey give it a shot and let us know I remember reading a thread a long time ago about subs for GOMAD, there some of them:

Pound of Peanut Butter A Day
    Gallon of eggNog A Day (GoNAD)
    Gallon of Yogurt
    Pound of Cheese

and back to your original question. Your triceps get plenty of work with the pressing and I think that you're doing rows instead of cleans, right? So your biceps will get some stimulation from that. Its really not that important at this early stage and definitely something you can add later once you get your strength up.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    GOMAD isn't just about the calories and/or protein. There's also IGF-1. Hey give it a shot and let us know I remember reading a thread a long time ago about subs for GOMAD, there some of them:

Pound of Peanut Butter A Day
    Gallon of eggNog A Day (GoNAD)
    Gallon of Yogurt
    Pound of Cheese

and back to your original question. Your triceps get plenty of work with the pressing and I think that you're doing rows instead of cleans, right? So your biceps will get some stimulation from that. Its really not that important at this early stage and definitely something you can add later once you get your strength up.
    Thanks for your views guys it is appreciated ...

Some of the options above instead of GOMAD are pretty hardcore lol how does someone get a gallon of eggnog down the pie hole...

seriously though I am taking whey protein powder and eating stacks of tuna chicken eggs. and trying to get at least 4 pints of semi skimmed milk in which is OK but if I have above 4 pints a day I have terrible stomache issues lol ...if you get my drift lol.

I am somewhat confused on the 1-1.5 grams protein per lb body weight Iam 185 pounds and have started to make sure that I get approx 190-200 grams per day...not sure if thats too much or little because I am not sure that the 1-1.5 grams per body weight is lean weight of total weight

Garage Lifter
    I wouldn't get to obsessed about it. You've just started out so make sure its fun! Anything that you do will be better than what you have done.

For protein people are all over the place with how much you need and what's optimal. If you are consistently getting around 200g protein a day I'm sure you're do fine.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Quote Originally Posted by wanagetstrong View Post
    trying to get at least 4 pints of semi skimmed milk in which is OK but if I have above 4 pints a day I have terrible stomache issues lol ...if you get my drift lol.

I had the same problem. Half an icecream sandwich or even 6 ozs of milk would do that to me. Over time i slowly added an oz or 2 and I beat my lactose intolerance! After a few months I was doing a GOMAD or more with no problem, and I kept it up for a looooooooong time. Still no problems. And to think I went without milk for so many years.
    5'9". 34.-----------------------------BEST LIFTS-----------------------GOALS
    Bodyweight-------------------------BE 280 x 1------------------------BE 300 x 1
    Jan 2009: 151 lbs----------------SQ 365 x 2-----------------------SQ 400 x 1
    Jan 2010: 221 lbs----------------DL 405 x 1------------------------DL 500 x 1
    Current: 214 lbs
    bulking again -- working on my DL

I've gotten a few friends to start on SS. They have complained about the lack of direct arm work as well. I've just had them add in 3xF of Dips on their A day and 3xF of Chin Ups (palms facing toward you) on their B day as accessory work. I just tell them they have to make sure it is the last thing they do that day. They need to do their compounds first. Also I tell them once they can do 3x10 to start adding weight. It's actually beneficial to their compound lifts as the gains from the extra tricep/bicep work will carry over to the main SS lifts.
    Stefan
    Height: 6'4 - Weight: 235 lbs - Age: 31
    DL: 530 x 1
    Squat: 355 x 1
    Bench: 350 x 1