Thread: DMSO for joint pain

Wannabebig New Member

DMSO for joint pain

I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience, good or bad, with using DMSO for pain relief. I did a quick site search and most of the hits involved using DMSO as a transdermal delivery for some other substance.

I'm only interested in using DMSO alone as an anti-inflammatory/pain reliever. Specifically, I'm looking at a product called DMSO.BZ.

Any information would be really appreciated. Thanks.
    BW: 198
    Raw Maxes
    Current.......Goal for 12/2010
    SQ: 440............465
    BP: 325............340
    DL: 480............505

yea, I've used it specifically for a joint injury---my elbow. Its so-so for joint pain, better for tendonitits in my opinion. I'm apparently sensitive to it becuase I break out in a rash from it. The mustard taste is nasty too.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

DMSO alone won't really help much, you need to mix something in it like ibuprofen to help with inflamation

The stuff reeks though. Don't use it during the day if you work around a lot of people lol

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I have used DMSO in the past to help recover from a knee operation. I used it too much and got chemical burns from it. I happened to mention it to my vet who said that they don't use it on animals because it has a tendedncy to remove all the hair on the application site......

I've used DMSO on our horses. It really isn't recommended for people. If you find a need for it, use it sparingly. As Travis mentioned, it is great when you crush some ibuprofen into it. I suggest using gloves when handling it. Worst part about it is the smell and taste... Yep, you can taste it through your skin.

At your (our) age, I don't see why you wouldn't want to try it. As always, use caution, apply lightly in a small area, and avoid sensitive skin. I will reiterate, it really isn't recommended for people. If memory serves me correctly, it can be hard on the liver with frequent use.

Wannabebig New Member
    Thanks for all the info. I've been fighting tendonitis in both elbows for about a year. It's been a little better so far this year. I've been using a glucosamine supp, ibuprofen and ice. No pain on most types of presses, mainly heavy, direct triceps work like skull crushers.

But for about a month now my knees have been giving me a fit. I've got Osgood Shlatter "disease" (say that 3 times fast) in my right knee so it aches from time to time. Wide stance box squats to an above parallel box (13-15") have been keeping the pain away. But I think about 3 leg workouts that included deep machine hack squats has made both knees start aching. And the left knee (the "good" one) hurts worse that the right. Probably because I'm unconsciously favoring the right knee and putting more stress on the left.

If I do try the DMSO, any recommendation on types of ibuprofen/anti-inflammatory to use? I'm thinking liquid capsules and just open them up and mix the liquid in the DSMO. Anyone ever tried something like BC that's already in powder form instead of having to crush up tablets?

Anyway, enough of my sob story. I was just looking for something a little unconventional to try to speed the healing/recovery process. Maybe a short layoff is in order. Thanks again.
    BW: 198
    Raw Maxes
    Current.......Goal for 12/2010
    SQ: 440............465
    BP: 325............340
    DL: 480............505

Banned
    DMSO is great. But seriously, use some common sense. If you hurt your knees doing hack squats, maybe you should stop doing hack squats? Just a thought. Any machine puts your body in an unnatural position that will wreak havoc on your joints, no matter how healthy you are. Drop the hack squats and I'll bet my right nut (that's the one that still works) the pain magically disappears.

DMSO is fantastic. And it definitely works solo.
    Roll Tide.

Quote Originally Posted by David Lewis View Post
    I have used DMSO in the past to help recover from a knee operation. I used it too much and got chemical burns from it. I happened to mention it to my vet who said that they don't use it on animals because it has a tendedncy to remove all the hair on the application site......
    I'd argue with your veterinarian about that.

My understanding is DMSO by itself is more readily available as products labeled for human consumption in Europe than it is in the US. For some reason its been labeled as an industrial solvent and there have been delays with human approval since the 1970's. A couple of years ago, FDA approved its use for treatment of certian urogenital disorders and the use for brain injury/trauma is being investigated. Most of the time the DMSO that I order for my patients and the DMSO that my wife administers IV to her equine patients is usually labeled as an "Industrial solvent" except for a couple of select products. As a veterinary drug, it is available from Fort Dodge as a topical ear/skin preparation (synotic) and a couple of other forms. To the best of my knowledge hair loss is not listed as a side effect, although a rash can and will occur in certian individuals or with frequent use. There has to be direct skin contact, so if its used in a dog or a cat, the animal has to be shaved anyway to apply it. Typically its used on horse legs for chronic pain conditions (tendonitis/synovitis like I mentioned above). Its also administered IV for treatment of equine neurologic diseases like EPM.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.