The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Problem w/ Squat Consistancy

I have been on the starting strength routine for coming up on two months now. My upper body lifts have progressed some:

Bench - 110/115 to 160
    Military Press - 75 to 105
    Row - 115 to 160
    Deadlifts - Up to about 200

However, one day I will squat 3x5 at 140 or 150, then the next day I will have trouble doing just 135.

I realized my form was starting to slack as I increased weight; i would start to push more with my tows and sway forward a bit. A coach at my school said I was turning it into a good-morning. So I am thinking of backing down on the weight. I try to do this:

Push with heals or at least have weight even over foot
    Drive with chest instead of hips
    Feet a little wider than shoulder width
    Push knees out

My other problem is warming up. If I am doing working sets at 135, which should I warm up at and how many sets? It seams like my second and third working sets have better form and I think it is because I have problems warming up.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Busted Limb View Post
    I have been on the starting strength routine for coming up on two months now. My upper body lifts have progressed some:

Bench - 110/115 to 160
    Military Press - 75 to 105
    Row - 115 to 160
    Deadlifts - Up to about 200

However, one day I will squat 3x5 at 140 or 150, then the next day I will have trouble doing just 135.

I realized my form was starting to slack as I increased weight; i would start to push more with my tows and sway forward a bit. A coach at my school said I was turning it into a good-morning. So I am thinking of backing down on the weight. I try to do this:

Push with heals or at least have weight even over foot
    Drive with chest instead of hips
    Feet a little wider than shoulder width
    Push knees out

My other problem is warming up. If I am doing working sets at 135, which should I warm up at and how many sets? It seams like my second and third working sets have better form and I think it is because I have problems warming up.
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/in...ook-Calculator

try the link above and download the calculator you tap in the numbers and the warm up sets are displayed

you are doing squats wrong....but at least your making an effort.

you might have really weak squat days if you do deadlifts first, or if you do squats first thing in your workout one day, then last on another day. try to do them first any day that you do them, as they will beat u up more than any other exercise.

It is good to keep the weight on your heels.
    Drive with your hips FIRST.
    DO NOT PUSH YOUR KNEES OUT.....stick out your ass as far as you can before you bend at the knees. this might feel awkward at first, but you want to keep your knees as perpendicular to the floor as you can.

SS is a good routine. keep with it bro, and good luck

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterZero View Post
    you are doing squats wrong....but at least your making an effort.

you might have really weak squat days if you do deadlifts first, or if you do squats first thing in your workout one day, then last on another day. try to do them first any day that you do them, as they will beat u up more than any other exercise.

It is good to keep the weight on your heels.
    Drive with your hips FIRST.
    DO NOT PUSH YOUR KNEES OUT.....stick out your ass as far as you can before you bend at the knees. this might feel awkward at first, but you want to keep your knees as perpendicular to the floor as you can.

SS is a good routine. keep with it bro, and good luck
    So hips should rise before shoulders? I get confused because I know Rippetoe says hips first but others say chest first to lessen stress on back. Does hips first mean the back rotates?

well i used to have a problem where i had serious lower back pain when i squatted heavy (for me, which is only like 270) and i watched senseis squat rx videos. he had one about doing a good morning out of the bottom of the squat, where you raise your hips TOO fast and put alot of stress on your back, so that is why some people say dont raise your hips first.

im not really good at describing the proper way to do it, as my form is still kinda sucky. watch Squat Rx or youtube videos and work on your form.

Wannabebig Member
    Does Rippetoe's style conflict with the style on the squat RX videos?

Is my biggest problem shifting my weight forward probably?
    Last edited by Busted Limb; 04-05-2010 at 06:08 PM.