Thread: Squatting before Deadlifting, I'm starting to wonder about my DL form

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar

Squatting before Deadlifting, I'm starting to wonder about my DL form

I'm following a SS routine. I squat every workout, and Deadlift every other workout. I always Squat first though.

I'm noticing though that back when I had days where I'd Deadlift fresh at the start of my workout, I used to use a decent amount of leg drive in my pull. But now that I Deadlift when my legs have already been worked pretty hard, I tend to really favor starting the pull with my ass higher and using very little leg drive. It seems that when I try to start lower after having done Squats my ass is the weak link and so owned from Squats that I can barely get the bar off the ground unless I start higher.

Does this mean I could be pulling more if I didn't Squat first and had the strength to start lower and add leg drive?

Also, I don't want to have any injuries, and it seems like starting higher causes my back to be a bit less arched (I feel like it's still mostly straight though).

Input appreciated.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

i ran into this problem too when i was doing SS for a while... from my own experience i've found that starting with deads and fresh legs definitely increases the amount i can pull and the intensity in my reps as well. I dunno i prefer to do a routine where they are on separate days now.
    Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 175

B: 255x1 DL: 375x1 SQ: work in progress

Goals: B-275 D-400 S-275 Weight- 180

I think that if you are getting stronger and still keeping the weight close to your body there is no harm no foul. Of course you are getting more leg drive on fresh legs Your car can go longer with more gas in the tank.
    -deltoids anonomous

Hm... well, I don't know what to do. I really place a great importance on my Deadlifts, and it kinda makes me sad knowing that my form and overall strength for them is a bit hindered. However there's also the part of me that realizes how good it is to Squat every workout with this routine, especially since my Squatting Strength and form isn't as great as I'd like it to be.

-If I ever switch back to a routine where I Deadlift fresh, do you think I'll be able to implement a bit more leg drive and start lower with the pull? I'm just afraid that I'll have pulled so much without the leg drive that my body will want to just keep doing that anyway.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 04-08-2010 at 02:50 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

I read somewhere that SS has you squat first because things can get hairy much quicker in a fatigued squat than in a fatigued deadlift. I think you'll be fine just as long as you're making sure your back isn't rounding. Since your legs are pre-exhausted you're probably ending up using more back, but personally I think that's fine so then your legs and back are both worked to the max.

I'm on SS right now as well so I know what you mean about being pretty dang shot by the time it comes to deads. As long as I keep getting stronger I'm just going with the flow and devouring everything edible in site.
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

Video of your deadlift?

Banned
    I squat and dead on the same day. I always squat first, then deads. I figure as long as I'm keeping tight and still making progress while I'm not getting injured, so be it. Just do what feels right to you man.

Thanks for the input guys. So do you think if I ever do DL fresh, I will be able to use the leg drive as if I had been the whole time before? I just don't want my Deadlift form to evolve into an almost-stiff-legged deadlift.

I'll try to get a vid up of some Deads on Monday.
    Lifting Journal