The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

45 minutes and testosterone

my friend told me the other day that he only works out for 45 minutes as after that your body does not produce much or any testosterone which means that your not really going to get any gains. its seems to work for him and i'm not sure if this is just one of those 'everybody is different' things or if it is a good rule to follow.

have never really thought much along this line and am wondering what do you guys think?
    H - 185cm (6'1") W - 85 kg (188 lbs) Age - 38

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

This has been talked about quite a bit here. Some people think that after an hour of training, testosterone and growth hormone decrease, making more time in the gym worthless.

My advice is dont worry about it. There are plenty of programs that keep you in the gym just over an hour and some more serious lifters are in the gym much longer too. Plus, this rule doesnt talk about warmups or anything. Its so ungodly vague. You could be a lazy bastard in the gym spending most of your time trotting to the damn drinking fountain. Just lift. If youre progressing, thats all that matters.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

It's not even clear whether this increase in hormone concentration (which appears to be mostly hemoconcentration and not actual increased hormone output) has any significant impact whatsoever on long term training adaptation. There are plenty of reasons not to do marathon training sessions all the time, but hormone production is not near the top of the list for me.
    If your overall program is reasonable and you're getting results, don't worry about it.

To somewhat echo what the other guys have already said, I wouldn't worry about the testosterone production so much (although I do seem to remember reading a couple of halfway decent studies on it awhile back that supported the one hour thing) as you need to be more concerned about getting your training done in a timely manner.

The majority of guys who say they train 2hrs or more really have a lazy approach to their training. Get in the gym, get to work and get out. Don't stand around taking 10min between sets, talking to everyone. If you train hard and consistent, there really isn't any reason as to why you shouldn't be able to get all the necessary work done in an hour.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Wannabebig Member
    in the last year i've gained 13 kilos so i must be doing something right
    i generally train between 45 minutes and 1.5 hours with little time inbetween sets.
    thanks for the replies!
    H - 185cm (6'1") W - 85 kg (188 lbs) Age - 38