The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
    BTW, the log weighs 95 lbs. The meet is at World Gym in West Babylon. Take SSP to Exit 33 (Rt. 109). Take 109 for about 4-5 miles and it will be on your left.

I have an old Elite belt, and they wear quickly. EFS found a new manufacturer and are about to release a new line of belts. Other than that I would go with an Inzer Forever 10 mm, single prong belt. You can order direct from inzer or I think House of Pain may sell them too. Dont buy a lever belt, or two prong belt from Teddy. Lever is a pain in the ass for a raw lifter and double prong sucks. Plus all he has is like 4XL.
    Yeah the belts at the gym were either way too big, way too small, or a double prong. They only had three belts so that described all of them. I'll look into the Inzers. And I'm way too incompetent to figure out a lever belt.

04/21/2010 Training

Conditioning- 30 minutes elyptical.

Since my fiance wants me to get up with her at 6 am to hit the gym I found the only thing my body would let me do is the elyptical. I am not a morning person and my body knows it. Don't make fun of me. . . I did what I suck at.

Quote Originally Posted by luigisacs View Post
    04/21/2010 Training

Conditioning- 30 minutes elyptical.

Since my fiance wants me to get up with her at 6 am to hit the gym I found the only thing my body would let me do is the elyptical. I am not a morning person and my body knows it. Don't make fun of me. . . I did what I suck at.
    Which is what? Your spelling?

Which is what? Your spelling?

I do believe that I had noted that I am not good in the mornings. And I'm fine with that mispelling. At least I'm not using d00d, whateva, moar, and looking to work my fatz abz, and bicepts peaks. . . l8trz g2g.

HAHA. See you at the meet???

HAHA. See you at the meet???
    You bet. I've got it planned out. Just need to get the exact address to put into my GPS. What time do these things start anyway?
    Last edited by luigisacs; 04-21-2010 at 10:45 AM.

You bet. I've got it planned out. Just need to get the exact address to put into my GPS. What time do these things start anyway?
    207 Little East Neck Road North
    West Babylon, NY 11704-7703

Lifting starts at 11AM, so that probably means 1130.

04/24/2010 training Session number 7

Squat - 225x5x3 (PR) (Short term goal Squat met)
    Bench - 160x5x3
    Deadlift - 245x5x1

I'm starting to feel the squats now, which is a good thing. I'm in the strength building phase. Ditto for the bench. Deadlift was laughable. I'm debating whether my next bump will by 10 or 20lbs. I'll make that call next session.

I'm off to a meet in long island to help/cheer on hubbard. . .
    Last edited by luigisacs; 04-25-2010 at 07:19 PM.

The meet yesterday was absolutely amazing. I will say that I am 100% inspired now to go out and try one for myself. I'm thinking of one on July 17. It's called the Nationals so I'm not sure if this is the right format for my first meet. I'll call them up and see if it would be appropriate for me. I truly enjoyed just sitting there and taking it all in. I also tried to be a source of positive energy for Eric who seemed to not be at his best. He probably thought I was nothing but an annoyance though.

Again, it was an awesome experience. Yes there were some big numbers (770 equipped squat, 700+ deads, and a RAW 550 bench (this was sick)). But what inspired me the most were those not in gear. The female competitors and the masters guys (easily 60+ in age) who went out there and gave their all. They knew they wouldn't be the biggest numbers there but they didn't care. They just went and gave it everything they got. I was truly and deeply inspired now to do this. . .this is where I should be.

The question now becomes how should I reshape my training. Truthfully I'm not going to change a thing. I'm going to stay on course and just take a week off before the meet to rest up. I still don't think I need to do anything more than just keep getting stronger. I mean, stronger is the point here right?
    Last edited by luigisacs; 04-25-2010 at 08:17 AM.

04/27/2010 Session #8
    Squat - 235x5x3 (PR)
    Press - 105x5x3

The squat felt heavy but attainable so I'm thinking another 10lb jump. I doubt I'll have another 10lbs in me after that. But we'll see. The press felt strong. No issues there. I was slated to do the log cleans but the gym had way too many people and I was spent anyway. So I skipped them. Truthfully I'm just interested in the squat, bench, deadlift and press, so anything else can be eliminated if needed.

The meet yesterday was absolutely amazing. I will say that I am 100% inspired now to go out and try one for myself. I'm thinking of one on July 17. It's called the Nationals so I'm not sure if this is the right format for my first meet. I'll call them up and see if it would be appropriate for me. I truly enjoyed just sitting there and taking it all in. I also tried to be a source of positive energy for Eric who seemed to not be at his best. He probably thought I was nothing but an annoyance though.

Again, it was an awesome experience. Yes there were some big numbers (770 equipped squat, 700+ deads, and a RAW 550 bench (this was sick)). But what inspired me the most were those not in gear. The female competitors and the masters guys (easily 60+ in age) who went out there and gave their all. They knew they wouldn't be the biggest numbers there but they didn't care. They just went and gave it everything they got. I was truly and deeply inspired now to do this. . .this is where I should be.

The question now becomes how should I reshape my training. Truthfully I'm not going to change a thing. I'm going to stay on course and just take a week off before the meet to rest up. I still don't think I need to do anything more than just keep getting stronger. I mean, stronger is the point here right?
    Luigi. Thanks for coming out. I am a cranky SOB during a meet, especially when things aren't going right. Thanks for being there and offering your support. Means a lot. As for the meets , there is an IPA meet in Hartford on July 24th. There should be an APF meet around here in July, Aug, or Sept. I believe it will be held in Croton on Hudson. Otherwise you could also check out the WNPF, as they hold a bunch of meets in Dirty Jersey.

I know you posted to Tony about trainig with the STrongman crew. I think that would be good to be around a good group of guys. I love the Yoke and farmers. Just find a way to implement it so it compliments your training. Let me know how it goes. Again, thanks for coming out!

Luigi. Thanks for coming out. I am a cranky SOB during a meet, especially when things aren't going right. Thanks for being there and offering your support. Means a lot. As for the meets , there is an IPA meet in Hartford on July 24th. There should be an APF meet around here in July, Aug, or Sept. I believe it will be held in Croton on Hudson. Otherwise you could also check out the WNPF, as they hold a bunch of meets in Dirty Jersey.

I know you posted to Tony about trainig with the STrongman crew. I think that would be good to be around a good group of guys. I love the Yoke and farmers. Just find a way to implement it so it compliments your training. Let me know how it goes. Again, thanks for coming out!
    Eric it was my pleasure. You've done a lot to help me out so I want to reciprocate the favor. I wish you would be more confident in yourself. You are as strong as an ox and you can hit the weights you want. A classic example was that third bench. It killed you the first two attempts but you put your mind to it and it was crushed. The power of positive thinking can go a long way. . .

04/29/2010 Session #9
    Squat - 245x5x3 (PR)(Medium Term Goal Met)
    Bench - 165x5x3
    Deadlift - 265x5x1 (Short Term Goal Met)

Short Term Total goal of 660 Met - Total Today 675

Squat was good. Definitely took some life out of me, but good nonetheless. I think I have one more 10lb increase left. I'm sure It will be easier once I get my belt. I ordered it yesterday. Will be here in a few weeks.
    My bench, well my bench still sucks. I'm keeping it conservative in terms of increases. I know I'll never have a humongous bench. It's not easy to live with, but I've comes to terms with it.
    By the time I go to my deadlfift I was pretty gassed. So I decided to cut the reps on my warmups to make sure I had enough in the tank to get the working weight. Smoked it.
    Last edited by luigisacs; 05-04-2010 at 08:01 PM.

05/01/2010 Session 10

Squat- 255x5x3 (PR)
    Press - 115x5x3 (PR) Short term goal met.
    Safety Squat Bar Good Morning x5x3

Squats almost killed me. I'm completely drained. Presses were hard for the first time. So were in the strength building phase there. My lower back has been bugging me. To strengthen it I decided to add in good mornings. My shoulder has been bothering me from holding the bar in the squat so I decided on the safety bar to give my shoulders some rest.
    Last edited by luigisacs; 05-01-2010 at 08:43 AM.

Just ordered my conditioning tool.

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...&m=PD&pid=2294

I haven't planned on how I'm going to incorporate this yet. I'll figure that out when it comes in.

05/04/2010 Session # 11

Squat - 265x5x3 (PR)
    Bench - 170x5x3 (PR)
    Deadlift - 275x5x1

Trained at a commercial gym today that isn't my usual. Was helping two co-workers on their form on the big lifts. One is a total newb who didn't have any experience with the big lifts and the other had some experience but his form was ****. The session was longer because I spent a lot of it coaching. I did enjoy that part though. I'm going to give both of them a routine to follow, and we'll have a follow up training next month.

As for me, I hit a PR in the Squat and Bench. The Squat wasn't awfully difficult. Did take a bit out of me but that is a good thing. Bench wasn't difficult, but I never did these for sets across so it was a light PR. The dead was a joke again. Nothing difficult there.

And I had a surprise when I got home. MY BELT!!!!!. Needless to say I'm happy. Now I just need to figure out exactly how to wear it and break it in.
    Last edited by luigisacs; 05-04-2010 at 08:14 PM.

04/15/2010 Session # 4

Squat - 195x5x3
    Press - 85x5x3
    Log Clean - Logx3x5

Before I start to say anything I just need to get out how ****ing hot it was in the gym. It was hot as lucifers balls in there. I started sweating as soon as I walked in. Not good. Me no like hot.

Squat and Press were relatively light. No issues there. Do need to buy a belt though. They have some good ones there I'll check out. Decided to use the log instead of cleans mainly for two reasons. A. I don't like cleans B. I always wanted to use the log. So there.

Some other random notes from today.

a. Why do women wear extremely revealing shirts and then get mad when men stare at their boobies. This one girl got really pissed cause half the gym stared intently. I wanted to let her know that the top 2/3 of her boobs were exposed for the world to see. I mean if I walked around with half my cock out I'm sure it will get some looks, not many, but some. I'm not getting the anger. Plus my gym is a meat-head haven. She should have known better.

b. Another woman (MILFish) did abs from the minute I got there, and was still doing abs when I left. We're talking about hour and 45 worth of abs. That's a lot of abs. That's a lot of pointless. But whatever, she's a MILF. They have different rules than the rest of the world.

c. Why when one man asks another man in the gym what he's doing said man has to do fake movements to show what it is he's doing? Does our ability to utlize language to describe something leave us when we walk into the the gym? They do a sort of air lifting if you will. It usually stars with a guy pointing at the DB rack and making side lateral motion, then making forward raise motion, and then grabbing his shoulder and giving a look of pain as if what he was/is going to do is the most painful thing in the world.

d. Is there a gym law that allows you to slap the hell out of anyone who uses the squat rack as a clothes hanger? I used to waste 20 minutes trying to figure out who's extra medium hoodie was hanging on the bar. Now I just throw that **** on the floor and, if possible, get chalk on it.

e. I propose a mental leniency tax for anyone who openly wears affliction shirts. Regardless if its at the gym or not. As those things cost a fortune we may have enough to stabilize the economy.

f. If you ask me to help spot your bench attempt have the decency to try to lift it yourself. I'm looking at you Mr. Affliction extra medium hoodie wearer. You know who you are ****er.

g. Is there a starting weight limit for guys to start using powerlifing gear? Saw a guy who trains with the new powerlifting crew who is no more than 130 tops wedge himself into a double ply. Now I'm not a gear expert in any way, but I doubt gear should be his priority. A ****load of squats and an all you can eat buffet maybe. But who am I to say anything.

I probably have more but I'm tired. And this is just from today. I'll probably come up with more on saturday . . .
    This is great material and funny as hell too.

05/06/2010 Session 12

Squat: 275x5x3 (PR)
    Press: 120x5x3
    SSB Good mornings: SSB+20lbsx5x3

I'm stoked about the 275 PR. A month and a half ago I could barely get that for a 1RM. It is ****ing amazing how easy these felt with the belt. Although the damn things dug so deep into my gut that I have marks now. Its cool. I'll have to deal with it. Definitely going for 285 saturday.

This week's training has been great. The rest of my life not so much. I have been told so many negative things about my body, my training, my eating habits that I'm finding it really hard to get through it as I'm getting the majority of this negativity from my coworkers. It's getting real hard to tune them out. They just don't get what I'm doing and they're starting to piss me off. They just don't get that now that I'm training fairly heavy I get hungry. REAL hungry. So 6 scrambled eggs, two pieces of toast, and 3 turkey sausage links are what my body is telling me to eat. The fact that I'm practically starving only 3 hours later confirms that fact. But whatever, just gotta push through I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by depotman View Post
    This is great material and funny as hell too.
    I aim to please. . .
    Last edited by luigisacs; 05-06-2010 at 08:45 PM.

Oh and I almost completely forgot . .. Been doing some low level study on periodization. I'm going through my second read of Practical Programming and think I have the basic understanding of what a weight training program should do and when it should do it. One of the things I think most people get confused is using their strength levels to determine whether they are a novice, intermediary, or advanced athlete. This is actually not the case. The true indicator of your level of progression stems from two factors; a) the amount of training (stress) necessary to elicit an adaption (strength increase) and b) the amount of time necessary to recover from said training in which the athlete can exhibit and showcase his adaption. For example, a novice (moi), only requires one training day as a stressor, and can successfully adapt to that stressor in a 48-72 hour time frame. Compare that to an advanced athlete who may require one or months of accumulating stress to create the stimulous for adaption, and conversely would require an almost equal time frame for that athlete to recover, adapt, and be able to showcase that adaption (strength increase). The accumulation and dissipation of the fatigue created from the training stresses is the heart of any periodization.

Interesting stuff. With the above I'm attempting to get my head around how conjugate periodization follows this understanding. From what I know of the westside methods there is a max effort adaption every week. I'm assuming the speed work is also utilized as a "light" day to induce recovery. However, at the elite levels these athletes who utlize this type of training, are they accumulating the proper amount of fatigue necessary to spur adaptation? This periodization seems to be weekly? I also know that they enter a circa max phase the month or two right before the meet. Is this is actual stressor? Is the week or two off before the meet enough time for the fatigue to dissipate? I know the system works, but why (in the context of stress/adaptation concept)? I'll have to do more research. . .
    Last edited by luigisacs; 05-06-2010 at 08:48 PM.

05/09/2010 Session # 13

Squat: 285x5x3 (PR) (Long term goal met)
    Bench: DNA
    Deadlift: DNA

Had absolutely nothing in the tank today. I even took an extra day off before this training day and I still had nothing. I think I'm going to change my programming up a bit. I'm going to add a light squat day in the middle of two heavy ones and add some other work in as well.

I also had some pain when I attempted to warm up for the bench in my right shoulder arm. It feels like the arm can not support the weight. I think I may have started too high on the bench and went to fast in the progression. I'm completely starting from scratch with this now. I'll start with 95 lbs and work my way up 5lbs each time.'
    Last edited by luigisacs; 05-11-2010 at 05:23 AM.

Garage Lifter
    Doing really well Luigi, congrats on the PRs
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    Doing really well Luigi, congrats on the PRs
    Thank you. I've got a lot more coming.

05/11/2010 Session 14

Squat (light day) - worked up to 345x1 (PR +30lbs)
    Press - 125x5x3 (PR)
    Good Morning - SSB+20x5x3

Great day.

Awesome PR!