The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
    Awesome PR!
    Thank you. I'm stoked.

05/14/2010 Session 15

Squat:290x5x3 (PR)
    Bench - 95x5x3
    Deadlift - 295x5x3
    Assisted Chins

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luigisacs View Post
    Some other random notes from today.

a. Why do women wear extremely revealing shirts and then get mad when men stare at their boobies. This one girl got really pissed cause half the gym stared intently. I wanted to let her know that the top 2/3 of her boobs were exposed for the world to see. I mean if I walked around with half my cock out I'm sure it will get some looks, not many, but some. I'm not getting the anger. Plus my gym is a meat-head haven. She should have known better.

b. Another woman (MILFish) did abs from the minute I got there, and was still doing abs when I left. We're talking about hour and 45 worth of abs. That's a lot of abs. That's a lot of pointless. But whatever, she's a MILF. They have different rules than the rest of the world.

c. Why when one man asks another man in the gym what he's doing said man has to do fake movements to show what it is he's doing? Does our ability to utlize language to describe something leave us when we walk into the the gym? They do a sort of air lifting if you will. It usually stars with a guy pointing at the DB rack and making side lateral motion, then making forward raise motion, and then grabbing his shoulder and giving a look of pain as if what he was/is going to do is the most painful thing in the world.

d. Is there a gym law that allows you to slap the hell out of anyone who uses the squat rack as a clothes hanger? I used to waste 20 minutes trying to figure out who's extra medium hoodie was hanging on the bar. Now I just throw that **** on the floor and, if possible, get chalk on it.

e. I propose a mental leniency tax for anyone who openly wears affliction shirts. Regardless if its at the gym or not. As those things cost a fortune we may have enough to stabilize the economy.

f. If you ask me to help spot your bench attempt have the decency to try to lift it yourself. I'm looking at you Mr. Affliction extra medium hoodie wearer. You know who you are ****er.

g. Is there a starting weight limit for guys to start using powerlifing gear? Saw a guy who trains with the new powerlifting crew who is no more than 130 tops wedge himself into a double ply. Now I'm not a gear expert in any way, but I doubt gear should be his priority. A ****load of squats and an all you can eat buffet maybe. But who am I to say anything.

I probably have more but I'm tired. And this is just from today. I'll probably come up with more on saturday . . .
    Hahaha. Agreed with pretty much everything there.

And you seem to be making very nice progress. I've made some pretty decent progress myself using SS (although at this point I'm doing my own modified version of it). SS rules so hard!

Keep up the awesome work.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 05-14-2010 at 12:58 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes View Post
    Hahaha. Agreed with pretty much everything there.

And you seem to be making very nice progress. I've made some pretty decent progress myself using SS (although at this point I'm doing my own modified version of it). SS rules so hard!

Keep up the awesome work.
    Thank you. I try.

05/18/2010 Session 16

Squat: 295x5x1 (PR), 295x3x1
    Press: 130x5x1

Had my first failure today, but not the way most of you are thinking. It wasn't a failure due to the weight being too heavy. As I was through my second set I felt a rip and noticed my pants had ripped right in the crotch area. Understandably I ended my set due to modesty reasons. Although, I think this weight would have been the one that would have pushed my capabilities. For the past 4-5 sessions the squats have taxed me systematically. So I believe it is time to move to a different program for my squat only.

I also was told by one of the stronger members of my gym that I had very good form on my squats. I'm very proud of this.

05/23/2010 Session 17

Squat - 275x5x5 (5x5 PR)
    Bench - 105x5x3
    Power Cleans - 50kgsx3x5
    Assisted Chins

05/25/2010 Session 18

Squat - 250x5x2
    Press - 135x5x3 (PR)
    GHR
    Incline Situps

Notes:

a. Really happy about the Press PR. Been wanting to look like a man while pressing for a long time.

b. The gym now has a gym slut. I noticed her before but I wanted to see if her antics would continue over a period of time, and it has. For those of you who do not know the gym slut is a woman (can be a man but that would be awkward) who flirts with all the stronger gentlemen in the gym. Typically the gym slut will just always happen to be doing something where the stronger guys are. Today the gym slut decided to walk over the squat rack and do 1 (one) extremely long set of stiff deadlifts. I will continue to monitor this situation as rarely does the gym slut work alone. It also should note that the gym sluts plumage is typically, well, its very sluttish.

c. A certain gentleman today did all of his work wearing one of the big chains wrapped around his neck. His work did not include dips, chins, or pushups which one can understand wearing a large chain. This certain individual did incline bench presses, upright rows, and pulldowns wearing the chain.

d. Two other gentlemen decided to use one of the bench presses to do upright rows. They stood on the bench and upright rowed. What the purpose of standing on the bench is? I have no idea.

That is all.
    Last edited by luigisacs; 05-25-2010 at 08:22 PM.

05/27/2010 - Session 19

Squat- 305x5x1 (PR)
    Bench - 115x5x3
    Deadlift - 305x5x1
    Parallel grip assisted pullups

Got my prowler today but it was raining. Have a plan to use the **** out of that thing on Saturday morning.

05/30/2010

Squat - 280x5x5 (5x5 PR)
    Press - 137.2x5x1, 137.2x3x1, x137.2x4x1 (Fail)
    GHR
    Situps
    Prowler 60 yards x2 (30 up, 30 back)

06/03/2010 Session 21

Squat - 310x5x1 (PR)
    Bench - 125x5x3
    Power Cleans - 55kgx3x5 (PR)
    Prowler+90lbs - 4 trips of 35-40 yards

The squat was pretty tough today. I'm attempting to keep the bar lower on my back so I think this new positioning threw me off a little. I got the reps that's all that count.
    My right wrist, which I injured years ago, has been killing me. It's hard to lock out the weight on the bench (although it may still be good in competition) and it has made my power clean rack very painful. I'm going to switch the power clean to the high pull next time around.

06/06/10 Session 22

Squat- 280x5x5 (5x5 PR)
    Press - 125x5x5 (5x5 PR)
    Deadlift -315x5x1

The squats were difficult today. Last two reps on all the sets were grinders but I got them. And that is all that counts. The press wasn't difficult until the last set. And the deadlift was a breeze.

Overall, good day.