The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Starting Over with Starting Strength

I've kept a log on this site for over a year now and since I've decided to rededicate myself to the cause I've decided a new log would be helpful. I've tried every means of training from 5x5, to westside, to 5.3.1 to Defrancos WSFSB and Built Like a Badass. All were good but I think they were all too advanced for me. I would lose interest and step away from the gym only to come back and try it all over again. I have a lot of things going on in my life so my time is very limited and most of the time that meant the gym ahd to be pushed to the side.

However I woke up a few days ago completely upset at the way I look, the way I feel, and the direction my body and my mind have been going in. So I've made a decision to, again, get myself strong and fit. The one thing about doing all the training options is that I know what I like in each and can eventually incorporate them. However my main focus needs to be dropping pounds and getting strong. The best approach, I believe, is to start with the Starting Strength programming. I can move on from there once the time arrives.

To begin with I have set up goals for myself. I took the idea from another log on this site, so credit for this goes there. They are as follows.

Short Term Training Goals (within 3 months)
    1. 660 lb working weight total on the squat, bench, and deadlift for 3x5 Goal Met 04/29/10
    2. Squat 225 for 3x5 -Goal met 04/24/10
    3 Bench 185 for 3x5
    4 Deadlift 250 for 1x5 Goal met 04/29
    5. Military Press 115 for 3x5 Goal met 05/01/2010

Medium Term Training Goals (within 9 months)
    1. 725 lb working weight total on the squat, bench, and deadlift for 3x5
    2. Squat 245 for 3x5 Goal met 04/29/10
    3. Bench 205 for 3x5
    4. Deadlift 275 for 1x5Goal met 05/04/10
    5. Military Press 125 for 3x5 Goal Met 05/11/10

Long Term Training Goals (12+ months)
    1. 820 lb working weight total on the squat, bench, and deadlift for 3x5
    2. 280 lb squat for 3x5Goal met 05/09/10
    3. 230 lb bench for 3x5
    4. 310 lb deadlift for 1x5
    5. Military Press 145 for 3x5

Weight Loss goals
    Short Term - Weight under 240
    Medium Term- Weigh under 233
    Long Term - Weight under 220

I know the majority of these goals may be easy to obtain, however I can always reset my goals when that time arive. Tonight is my first training session. I will update this log later.

Thanks you.
    Last edited by luigisacs; 05-16-2010 at 07:14 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Hey luigisacs,

Nice to see another guy doing SS. Looking forward to your posts.
    Whats your height and current weight?

Garage Lifter
    Best of luck with your re-dedication. I did SS twice and had more success the second time, FWIW.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Hey bro, keep at it. It's hard for all of us to stay focused sometimes but we pick up our gear, go to the gym and get in the stink anyway. We have to. Before too long, it'll be all you know. Stay focused, stay positive, it'll be 2nd nature buddy. Good luck, we'll be checking in with you.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

I am 3 weeks in to strict SS again myself and I am loving it! Just lift heavy and watch what you eat and you will reach your goals!
    "The deadlift is more functional in that itís very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy *h*t up off the ground" Rip

Max 3x5 Goal 3x5 by 12/31/11 *1X5
    Bench (245) (275) 285x1x1 335
    Dead (385)* (445) 435x1x1 505
    Squat (320) (355) 355X1X1 405
    Squat (195) (275) 20 Reppers!
    (950) (1075) 1075 1245 Goals (Not including 20 reps)
    5'10" 288Lbs 02/01/2011 Goal Weight 230 On my way back from a Break!

Thank you all for the encouraging posts. I definitely will do my best to keep at this as long as possible. We all know life can throw a curve ball at us once in a while . . .

My stats are as follows:
    6'0
    246 lbs
    Blubber gut (this should explain everything)

04/08/2010 SS session #1
    Squat: 165x5x3
    Bench: 135x5x3
    Deadlift: 185x5x1
    Band Assist Chins
    Incline Situps
    BB Complex ramping sets

Garage Lifter
    Looks like a good start
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant

04/10/2010 Training - Session #2

Squat - 175x5x3
    Press - 75x5x3
    Cleans - 95x3x5
    Spread Eagle situps
    DB Complex x10x1

Nothing crazy today. Nothing really felt heavy. Good Day

Didn't eat well the last two days, so tomorrow my fiance and I tighten it up. She's (and technically so am I) is on weight watchers. It may not be the best but it's all about portion control which is the important part.

04/12/2010 training

Run training- Treadmill
    5 minute walk
    60 sec run + 90 sec walk x 10
    7 minute walk

My mantra this year is "Do the things I suck at". My most glaring Suck is my cardiovascular conditioning. I know a bunch of people at work, and even my fiance, who are seriously training for a 5k race. I thought it would be a great conditioning tool, however a 5k, and subsequent training for it, would hamper my strength training too much. So a 5k was too much, but a 1 mile run, that would be short enough not too tax my strength too much, and long enough to provide me with the conditioning that I need. Right now my goal is to get to 1 mile running directly. After that I will base my goals on specific times.

I don't like doing something without knowing what the next step is. I like to plan everything out, so I know what to do when my current program stops working. Right now I have a long way to go and keeping with a linear progression is the most important aspect. So my plan will be as follows.

Starting Strength - 3x5
    Modified Starting Strength 1 - Upon failure to progress on SS I keep the same scheduling (a,b,a) but will use back off sets for squats.

Modified Starting Strength 2 - Upon failure to progress on Modified Starting Strength 1 I will change my schedule to the following: Keeping sets & reps at 3x5Tuesdays - Squat, Bench, Power Clean . Thursdays - Back of Squats, Military Press, Deadlift. Saturday: Squat, Bench, Power Clean.

Bill Starr 5x5 - Upon failure to progress on Modified Starting Strength 2 I will keep the training days the same but move the sets/reps to 5x5.

Intermediate 5x5 - Upon failure to progress on the Bill Star 5x5 I will keep the training days the same but I will move my sets and reps to a ramping set of 1x5 as per the Madcow2 site.

Wendler 5.3.1.

Dual Factor Linear progression - As per the Madcow2 site

Defranco's Built Like a Badass protocol

Defranco's WestSide for Skinny Bastards

Westside

I know this is a lot, and probably about 10 years of planning, but, to me, it makes the most sense. I'd love to hear what others think on this.

Garage Lifter
    Luigi,

For the 5k as long as you don't want to try and win it you could probably fit that into your powerlifting goals. 5k isn't that far and the weekly mileage that you'd need to train to be able to complete isn't really that much, probably no more than 3 miles a week total.

You could get by with doing some sprints twice a week and a longer run (1 to 3 miles) once on the weekends.
    How far away is the race? Do you have a goal time? and a baseline? If my wife wanted to do a 5k I would change my training (within reason of course) to accomodate her goals and just be happy to be able to support her.

Its been a LONG time since I've looked into this kind of trianing but the most common mistake people make in training for longer distances is doing too much distance too often.

With the program setup looks good just be flexible if needed. Keep up the motivation!
    Last edited by StLRPh; 04-13-2010 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    Luigi,

For the 5k as long as you don't want to try and win it you could probably fit that into your powerlifting goals. 5k isn't that far and the weekly mileage that you'd need to train to be able to complete isn't really that much, probably no more than 3 miles a week total.

You could get by with doing some sprints twice a week and a longer run (1 to 3 miles) once on the weekends.
    How far away is the race? Do you have a goal time? and a baseline? If my wife wanted to do a 5k I would change my training (within reason of course) to accomodate her goals and just be happy to be able to support her.

Its been a LONG time since I've looked into this kind of trianing but the most common mistake people make in training for longer distances is doing too much distance too often.

With the program setup looks good just be flexible if needed. Keep up the motivation!
    I don't really have a plan for the 5k. I can tell you right now I have zero baseline. I can barely run what I ran yesterday. I don't have a race planned at the moment. And, unfortunately, if I'm in a race I'm going to try to win it. It's just my nature. I think I'll just follow the Couch to 5k plan and see how that goes.

AS for helping my fiance I would, but she doesn't want my help nor support. The fact that she's serious as a sneeze about the 5k leads me to just let her do her own thing.
    Last edited by luigisacs; 04-16-2010 at 08:56 AM.

04/13/2010 training- Session 3

Squat - 185x5x3
    Bench - 145x5x3
    Deadlift- 205x5x1
    Incline Weighted Situps

Nothing special today. Felt good.

04/15/2010 Session # 4

Squat - 195x5x3
    Press - 85x5x3
    Log Clean - Logx3x5

Before I start to say anything I just need to get out how ****ing hot it was in the gym. It was hot as lucifers balls in there. I started sweating as soon as I walked in. Not good. Me no like hot.

Squat and Press were relatively light. No issues there. Do need to buy a belt though. They have some good ones there I'll check out. Decided to use the log instead of cleans mainly for two reasons. A. I don't like cleans B. I always wanted to use the log. So there.

Some other random notes from today.

a. Why do women wear extremely revealing shirts and then get mad when men stare at their boobies. This one girl got really pissed cause half the gym stared intently. I wanted to let her know that the top 2/3 of her boobs were exposed for the world to see. I mean if I walked around with half my cock out I'm sure it will get some looks, not many, but some. I'm not getting the anger. Plus my gym is a meat-head haven. She should have known better.

b. Another woman (MILFish) did abs from the minute I got there, and was still doing abs when I left. We're talking about hour and 45 worth of abs. That's a lot of abs. That's a lot of pointless. But whatever, she's a MILF. They have different rules than the rest of the world.

c. Why when one man asks another man in the gym what he's doing said man has to do fake movements to show what it is he's doing? Does our ability to utlize language to describe something leave us when we walk into the the gym? They do a sort of air lifting if you will. It usually stars with a guy pointing at the DB rack and making side lateral motion, then making forward raise motion, and then grabbing his shoulder and giving a look of pain as if what he was/is going to do is the most painful thing in the world.

d. Is there a gym law that allows you to slap the hell out of anyone who uses the squat rack as a clothes hanger? I used to waste 20 minutes trying to figure out who's extra medium hoodie was hanging on the bar. Now I just throw that **** on the floor and, if possible, get chalk on it.

e. I propose a mental leniency tax for anyone who openly wears affliction shirts. Regardless if its at the gym or not. As those things cost a fortune we may have enough to stabilize the economy.

f. If you ask me to help spot your bench attempt have the decency to try to lift it yourself. I'm looking at you Mr. Affliction extra medium hoodie wearer. You know who you are ****er.

g. Is there a starting weight limit for guys to start using powerlifing gear? Saw a guy who trains with the new powerlifting crew who is no more than 130 tops wedge himself into a double ply. Now I'm not a gear expert in any way, but I doubt gear should be his priority. A ****load of squats and an all you can eat buffet maybe. But who am I to say anything.

I probably have more but I'm tired. And this is just from today. I'll probably come up with more on saturday . . .
    Last edited by luigisacs; 04-15-2010 at 09:00 PM.

Garage Lifter
    good session and good stories, keep it up
    Last edited by StLRPh; 04-16-2010 at 05:48 AM.

LUIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGEEEEEEEE!

Ah, the memories of Coliseum Gym. For a place with awesome equipment, it can really suck the life out of you. It's like Teddy is a giant soul sucking vacuum. You should punch that 135 lb kid in the balls. Or let me know when that "crew" is there so i can come by and gave some fun. Although it cant be too serious of a training day, because my total drops at least 300 lbs as soon as a step foot in that place.

It's funny you mention the "advanced" programs. A friend of mine who trains with me on Wednesdays is doing something similar with his squat (sets of 5, add weight nest week, repeat). He squatted 768 raw and 940 in single ply about 10 years ago. I dont know the first thing about Starting Strength, Madcow, Ebola or whatever else other that most of them have you do 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps (if thats correct). You really cant go wrong with that. Keep at it and stay consistant. When is the wedding?

Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    good session and good stories, keep it up
    Thank you sir. The lord may not have blessed me with the genetics to be strong as a beast but he has bestowed upon me the ability to spot stupidity at a hundred paces. I would like to remind everyone reading this that all that I noted above was what I observed last night. There will be plenty more because I'm surrounded by meat-heads of all shapes and sizes there. Just ask Eric who posted directly above this one,. . .

And speaking of Eric. . . What up Hubbard.

Ah yes Coliseum Gym (http://www.coliseumgym.com/. I'm plugging because I'm hoping enough intelligent people sign up and we can take over this place once and for all). It does have a great deal of good equipment. I only use the Power Rack, the bench, and the weightlifting platform. I just don't feel like explaining to someone (again) what the Saftey Squat Bar is good for. And watch what you say about Teddy. I think he scours the internet checking out anyone talking **** about his gym. I'm afraid my membership may be cancelled by saturday now. I may have to come out and train with you . . .You should be afraid now.

As for the "advanced" training I have a philosophy on this (Get's into Socratic stance). If you are able to complete a program and get consistent gains then the program is not advanced for you. However if there is a program that allows you to get consistent gains but at a faster pace, then the original program is advanced for you. You like that? I thought that one up myself. . . Actually I lied, I didn't. I was exposed to that factual by reading Bill Starr articles in IronMan, and eventually the Madcow2 site (ghey sounding I know) and Rippetoes Starting strength. . . Right now I feel the 3x5 adding 10-15lbs on the big lifts every other day is going to work just fine. Once those gains stop I move forward. . . .

And you should come by and try to get in with that Crew. They are strong. No BS'ing there. Metal gear suits. EFS **** on everything they wear. One guy squated close to 900 so they have an idea on what they are doing. The only drawback is having to deal with the stragglers who find it necessary to surround them when they train. It's quite annoying.

Weddings in November. It's too ****ing far away. Seriously want the planning to be over with.

Teddy is an ass. There I said it. I dont believe you that there is a crew now training there. Who is it?

Quote Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
    Teddy is an ass. There I said it. I dont believe you that there is a crew now training there. Who is it?
    HA but your not a member anymore so you can say it. If I lost my membership where would I go. I'd be an aspiring powerlifter in the streets begging for change so I can get a RTD. It;s a sad story. Maybe I should pen it and have it up on the EFS site.

And yes, I swear. Serious crew. Two strong black gentlemen and the very skinny kid who shouldn't be in gear. The squat/dead on thursdays and bench on tuesdays. If they are in the gym any other time I do not know.

Quote Originally Posted by luigisacs View Post
    HA but your not a member anymore so you can say it. If I lost my membership where would I go. I'd be an aspiring powerlifter in the streets begging for change so I can get a RTD. It;s a sad story. Maybe I should pen it and have it up on the EFS site.

And yes, I swear. Serious crew. Two strong black gentlemen and the very skinny kid who shouldn't be in gear. The squat/dead on thursdays and bench on tuesdays. If they are in the gym any other time I do not know.
    Is one of them Victor Brosserie?

Quote Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
    Is one of them Victor Brosserie?
    I have no idea.

04/17/2010 session number 5

Squat 205x5x3
    Bench 155x5x3
    Deadlift 225x5x1
    Weighted Incline Abs 35x5x3

Squats started to feel a bit heavy. Not sure why as it really isn't.
    Bench felt absolutely ****ing gigantically heavy today. The 95 and 135 used as a warmup felt real heavy too. I got all sets and reps so I'm not too worried. This coupled with the squats feeling heavy makes me think that I just had an off day. Is cool. . .
    Deadlifts felt like there wasn't anything on the bar. I had DL'd 410 once so I know this weight isn't big at all. I know for a fact that my deads won't stall on me for a while.

04/20/2010 - session number 6

AM Training- 30 minutes treadmill

PM Training
    Squat - 215x5x3
    Press- 95x5x3
    Log - Log+5kg x3x5

Squats started to feel a bit harder but everything still came up pretty quickly so I'm in line for another 10lb jump. Ditto for the press. The Log is just fun so I'm going to keep adding 5kg each time. All in all good day.

Need a belt big time though. I feel it in my lower back. Elite doesn't seem to sell them anymore. Anyone know where I can order one online.
    Last edited by luigisacs; 04-25-2010 at 07:19 PM.

BTW, the log weighs 95 lbs. The meet is at World Gym in West Babylon. Take SSP to Exit 33 (Rt. 109). Take 109 for about 4-5 miles and it will be on your left.

I have an old Elite belt, and they wear quickly. EFS found a new manufacturer and are about to release a new line of belts. Other than that I would go with an Inzer Forever 10 mm, single prong belt. You can order direct from inzer or I think House of Pain may sell them too. Dont buy a lever belt, or two prong belt from Teddy. Lever is a pain in the ass for a raw lifter and double prong sucks. Plus all he has is like 4XL.