The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Squat form help

Squat form help

My brother seems to be having a problem with his squats; he always emphasizes going all the way down, but what happens is as he approaches the very bottom of the lift, his back (seems to be his lower back) rounds pretty bad. However once he starts coming back up it straightens out. It seems to me like its caused by his effort to get his ass as low as possible, and what happens is he rounds his lower back and dips his ass straight down, kind of towards his heels, rather than sticking his ass out.

My guess is that it's a combination of this knees being too far forward (caused by him not sticking his ass out) and him not keeping his lower back tight the entire time.

Any other advice on what could be the problem? I'll take a vid and upload it if I need to. But in the meantime hopefully this description is enough to get some help. Thanks

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I just found Sensei's video in the sticky on this topic. I'm sure his advice will help a lot, so I guess this thread question has been answered unless anyone would still like to share some of their own advice or tips.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

He needs to force his knees out in order to hit depth, not round his lower back.
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

Knees out and chest up are 2 important cues for this. But if he is low bar squatting, it's going to take some amazing flexibility to go ALL the way down (ATG) and not round. IMO, he should just focus on going below parallel but not ATG (ignore this if he's squatting high bar), along with the above cues.
    Last edited by Notorious; 04-09-2010 at 03:25 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    I would recommend hip flexor stretching.

Spreading hips and keeping his chest up and upper back tight are key. If he is dead set on going atg and does have the build/flexibility, buy olympic lifting shoes with the heel.
    My Log: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132038

"Train to be a mother****er" -Jim Wendler

Hip flexor and hamstring flexibility is paramount for full depth. When people have tight hamstrings they pull the hips under at the bottom of deep squats. I had problems with this for a long time until I really started stretching consistently. If he's tall make sure he's rotating his hips out wide enough as well. I used to try and squat with my legs pointing in front of me too much, and the ligaments inside your hip crease can actually block your hips from being able to rotate forward properly.
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"