Thread: My first meet this Saturday...suggestions...

My first meet this Saturday...suggestions...

Ok guys,im doing my first meet this saturday. Mastermonster is hosting it here in Alabama. Got my singlet in the other day, my wife **** herself when i put it on, but it was worth the laugh. Im hoping to total 1300, but i popped a hemroid a few weeks back DLing, so myraining has been hampered. Figured id go ahead with the meet and get some experience. I lift 100% raw, looking to add some lifting gear maybe later this summer, so i have no clue what to expect. I heard the adrenaline and atmosphere at these things can give some guys added strength, and some it does not. Any advice on what all i need to bring? thanks guys...
    I am not "the" Bo Jackson, i just stole his name.....
    6'1 230
    Squat 555 - belt only
    Bench 340 - raw(11.3.11)
    DL 540 - belt only
    "Dont confuse activity with progress." - Gene Stallings
    My Log - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...35550-Bo-s-Log

Well I guess you know not to touch a weight this week. Bring gatorade or pedalyte and some water to drink. I bring 2 protein shakes and like 2-3 PB&J sandwiches (I use almond butter though because of allergies). Keep calm the whole time and have fun! Do you have your attempts and warm-ups planned?
    My Log: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132038

"Train to be a mother****er" -Jim Wendler

Lower your openers. Thats the best thing I can tell you. Gym lifts dont correlate very well to meet day for novice lifters. I bombed my first 2 meets because of that.

Take enough food for the day. Stay away from simple sugars and thigns that will make you crash.

Take your own toilet paper lol. May sound odd but you wont believe how many guys **** there brains out the day of a meet and use all the TP within the first 10 minutes of the meet.

Just have fun with this one.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

All excellent advice! One more, take some Immodium or another anti-diarreal med before the meet that morning. Make that two more, attend the rules meeting.. Every question you have and a lot more you haven't even thought of will be answered. The rules meeting will be very thorough.
    Mike and I will be judging. Let us know who you are and we'll nudge you in the right direction if we see you scewing up LOL
    Okay I can't count. 2 more. Bring a t-shirt and bring a pair of socks, tape or shinguards for deadlifts.
    Last edited by Beverly McD.; 04-08-2010 at 04:47 PM.

Do not try and go to bed too early. When I was a rookie I'd hit the rack so early and ultimately wake up in the middle of the night and find it hard to get back to sleep. Now I make sure I'm exhausted before I turn in. I'd rather 5 hours of uninterupted sleep than 8 hours of off and on.

Don't forget to have fun. Best of luck.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Banned

i squat and DL in regular tennis shoes, is that ok? do i need to bring my own chalk? are knee sleeves allowed in the raw division?
    6'1 230
    Squat 555 - belt only
    Bench 340 - raw(11.3.11)
    DL 540 - belt only

Quote Originally Posted by bojackson View Post
    i squat and DL in regular tennis shoes, is that ok? do i need to bring my own chalk? are knee sleeves allowed in the raw division?
    You can deadlift in whatever shoes you want as long as it has a sole. But I would rather pull in DL slippers or chuck taylors. The meet should have chalk, but it wouldn't hurt to bring your own just in case. I always try to bring some of my own chalk. Knee sleeves or knee wraps are not allowed in the APF/AAPF. I believe the raw divison only allows wrist wraps and a belt.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

Don't do anything different than you do prior to an ME workout. Like said before, keep your openers LOW. It doesn't matter what you start with, only what you finish with. Pay particular attention to the rules. Don't miss a lift because you beat a command. Don't warm up to much. I see alot of newer lifters get in the warmup room and try to "impress" people there, even to the point of missing a warmup lift. Remember, it's a warmup, not a workout. If you have any questions at all, just ask Buddy, Bev or Mike. They will go out of their way to help, I'm sure. Most important HAVE FUN. That's why you're there.
    Can't wait 'til tomorrow, 'cause I get stronger every day!

thanx guys.........i appreciate all the advice. im looking foward to the meet.
    6'1 230
    Squat 555 - belt only
    Bench 340 - raw(11.3.11)
    DL 540 - belt only

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    I'll pitch in my $0.02

Wake up earlier than you think you should and take the time to eat a real breakfast.... poop a few times....... and take your time heading over to the meet site...... no rushing = no extra stress...... bring lots of food to snack on and to keep the buddies who are going with you to lift off for your bench and help you out well fed and hydrated..... don't forget to thank them with dinner or a beer too..... +1 for what Scot said, lower your openers.... your first attempt ( squat especially) is always nerve-racking so having an opener that you are 100% sure you'll smoke is really nice......... then don't forget to talk to people at the meet, have some fun....... and good luck
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!