The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Banned

Back to the Basics

Well today was my first day back in two weeks after doing Olympic lifting for the past 3 months. Holy crap was it rough. I felt like a newbie again. My squat is so low it isn't even funny. Overall my body regressed except for my shoulders during the Olympic lifting. However, I set a PR for deadlift last month at 205kg while screwing around after muscle snatches and cleans. Looks like I'm going back to Starting Strength to get up to par to try HCT-12. Jut needed to vent the frustration of going from 385lbs on backsquat for 3 reps to struggling to do a set o 5 at 225lbs... Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Zach

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

House Lannister
    Out of curiosity, why did you focus exclusively on the Olympic lifts for 3 months? I'm actually debating doing the same thing when I get back home from school (found a coach close to my home) for the summer, so I'm wondering what effects focusing on just those lifts had on you? Do you feel as if your athletic ability improved? Lean muscle mass gain? Fat loss? What do you think was the major benefit from focusing on those two lifts? Thanks.

I thought that the squat was a major lift to focus on for guys competing in weight lifting?
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned
    I focused on Olympic lifting because the university has a phenomenal program with some really intense lifters. However, I am on the U.S. team for Olympic shooting and it gets in the way with lifting to much in the Olympic discipline. Having a set routine for the week and missing random days makes it hard to keep up. In addition, because of the limited lifting practice due to traveling for shooting it took me a while to get form down. Unless you have the form down solid it will be hard to work your legs while doing clean and jerk as well as snatch. Granted I did work them, but not in the sense of standing up with 300+ lbs on top of me. I enjoyed it and if you have the time to train correctly I highly recommend it. However, I do not and thus am having to go back to lifting on my own. My major benefit from this was the increase in shoulder strength -- it went through the roof! Otherwise I did not have any gains aside from a 20lbs increase in deadlift.

Zach

Garage Lifter
    Zach,

Very cool that you're on the Shooting team for the Olympics. You're also not too far from me. There are actually quite a few people from MO on the board. I had no idea that Lindenwood had an OLY team.

Best of luck with SS. Do you think that it's helped your shooting? My dad is an avid shooter and I'm getting him into training so any tips on things that directly helped with shooting would be appreciated.

thanks,

matt
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Banned
    Nothing really helps shooting aside from the fact that you feel better and have more energy as far as physical training goes. However, I am talking about shotgun shooting. Some of the pistol shooters have some big shoulders. If anyone is in the St. Louis area and is interested in shooting just send me a message. I would be more than willing to help any WBB members out.

Zach