Thread: Question about body fat

Question about body fat

So this might seem like a ******ed question and please don't bash me too hard if it is but I was wondering today about what kind of weight I might expect to lose during a cut in relationship to reduction of body fat percentage. For example I weigh currently 175 pounds, and although I'm not sure of my actual BF %, say for the purpose of this exercise my BF is 13%. If I were to cut down to 8% BF, a net loss of 5%, should I expect to lose 5% of my actual weight (8.75 lbs) or does this vary entirely from person to person. Sorry if this was dumb but I was just thinking about it today and wanted to know if you guys had any input or knowledge to impart upon me. Thanks!
    Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 175

B: 255x1 DL: 375x1 SQ: work in progress

Goals: B-275 D-400 S-275 Weight- 180

As great as it would be to lose all of your weight as purely fat, that does not generally happen to be the case. You can expect to lose a bit more than the 5% of your weight, as you will inevitably lose some muscle along the way. What will come into play is your routine/intensity in the gym, and the quality of your diet. The better these two things are, the closer you will be to losing fat while retaining most of your muscle. Water weight may also change depending on how your diet (sodium intake, etc..) change for your cut.
    Last edited by nfraher; 04-11-2010 at 07:58 PM.
    Squat: 295
    Bench: 210
    Deadlift: 335

Quote Originally Posted by nfraher View Post
    As great as it would be to lose all of your weight as purely fat, that does not generally happen to be the case. You can expect to lose a bit more than the 5% of your weight, as you will inevitably lose some muscle along the way. What will come into play is your routine/intensity in the gym, and the quality of your diet. The better these two things are, the closer you will be to losing fat while retaining most of your muscle. Water weight may also change depending on how your diet (sodium intake, etc..) change for your cut.
    makes sense...that's what i figured but just thought i'd ask anyway haha. thanks for the input!
    Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 175

B: 255x1 DL: 375x1 SQ: work in progress

Goals: B-275 D-400 S-275 Weight- 180