The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Will a Post Workout shake (whey+dextrose) break down if its consumed 2 hours later?

I use whey protein, dextrose and creatine for my post-workout shake. I really hate carrying these powders and preparing it at the gym after workout. They don't really mix very well and leaves behind clumps. Ideally I'd like to use a powered blender, but it will be too late for a post-workout shake by the time I arrive home.

I was wondering if its OK to prepare post-workout protein shake in a powered blender at home, before I leave for the gym, and take it with me. That way I have a perfectly preapared post-workout shake as soon as I'm done with my workout.

I was wondering if anyone does this? How quickly does the protein breakdown if it takes me 2 hours before I get to consume it? I will probably have to leave this shake in my locker, so it will be stored at room temperature (70 F).

I don't know if the sugars in dextrose also contribute to protein breakdown? If it does, will it help if I carry 2 containers - one with protein blended liquid and the other with dextrose & creatine blended liquid? All I have to do is mix these two to make an instant post workout shake.
    Last edited by rag15; 04-04-2010 at 12:53 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    I don't understand what you mean by break down. I always blend mine at home and drink it during and post workout. The whey/dex is still there, it just starts to un-mix itself so I just shake it up a bit before I drink it.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rag15 View Post
    I use whey protein, dextrose and creatine for my post-workout shake. I really hate carrying these powders and preparing it at the gym after workout. They don't really mix very well and leaves behind clumps. Ideally I'd like to use a powered blender, but it will be too late for a post-workout shake by the time I arrive home.

I was wondering if its OK to prepare post-workout protein shake in a powered blender at home, before I leave for the gym, and take it with me. That way I have a perfectly preapared post-workout shake as soon as I'm done with my workout.

I was wondering if anyone does this? How quickly does the protein breakdown if it takes me 2 hours before I get to consume it? I will probably have to leave this shake in my locker, so it will be stored at room temperature (70 F).

I don't know if the sugars in dextrose also contribute to protein breakdown? If it does, will it help if I carry 2 containers - one with protein blended liquid and the other with dextrose & creatine blended liquid? All I have to do is mix these two to make an instant post workout shake.
    I had a similar issue with this and the way I now do it is I put all the ingredients in one container (dry) then at the end of my workout I put the water in my shaker (the type with a mixing type lid in the top) and add the dry ingredients and shake for 30 secs....

I don't know anything about protein breakdown ...I did it to just get rid of the lumps rather than doing it the other way i.e. adding water to powder..

hope that makes sense
    Last edited by wanagetstrong; 04-04-2010 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes View Post
    I don't understand what you mean by break down. I always blend mine at home and drink it during and post workout. The whey/dex is still there, it just starts to un-mix itself so I just shake it up a bit before I drink it.

Honestly, I don't know how it works, but I remember reading an article (from a reputable source) about how the proteins in the shake start losing its "potency" as the time passes. Apparantly, refridgiration will slow it down.

Not exactly a lengthy discussion, but I found one here.

Quote Originally Posted by wanagetstrong View Post
    I had a similar issue with this and the way I now do it is I put all the ingredients in one container (dry) then at the end of my workout I put the water in my shaker (the type with a mixing type lid in the top) and add the dry ingredients and shake for 30 secs....

I don't know anything about protein breakdown ...I did it to just get rid of the lumps rather than doing it the other way i.e. adding water to powder..

hope that makes sense
    Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. If you put the powder in dry container first and then add water, for some reason it takes lot more effort to get all the powder off the bottom. I use magic bullet and it too leaves stuff on the bottom, if I put powder first before milk.

I don't think protein "breaks down" in a solution. Just look at ready-to-drink proteins like Muscle-Milk, or Whey-2-go, or whatever.

Wannabebig Member
    You'll be fine. Your body "breaks it down" anyway when you consume it.

Nothing will happen in those 2 hours, it'll be fine.

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rag15 View Post
    Honestly, I don't know how it works, but I remember reading an article (from a reputable source) about how the proteins in the shake start losing its "potency" as the time passes. Apparantly, refridgiration will slow it down.

Not exactly a lengthy discussion, but I found one here.
    That thread is funny. One guy claims his protein shake starts to rot within a matter of 10 minutes. There are no organisms I'm aware of that can replicate that quickly.

Pre-mixing is fine.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

throw in some frozen fruit... keep it cool. Chop up a banana and freeze it, preferably a super over ripe one those sugars are great post workout