The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Plateau Already?

Hey guys I just finished working out. I used to workout about 8-9 months ago and had to stop because I had no ride to the gym which was a 20 min drive. It sucked. I am getting bacxk into right now at home, and am getting a gym membership at one close by in a few months. I am feeling really bad about myself right now TBH. When I used to workout I was progressing like crazy, all lifts got at least doubled. Now that Im back into it I'm pathetic. I just benched 95x8 and on the last rep of last set I couldnt do it. I feel so bad, I was benching way more before when I was working out, why am I so low right now? Military press is brutal as well, was doing about 25 pounds more back in the day and now I cant even do 8 reps of 65 pounds! I wasnt even eating right back then, now I am eating 3000-3500 a day (fitday) and I stopped progressing at these weights which is pretty embarassing. So how do I get past it? I thought if I lowered the weight to what I was doing last week and work on great form and keep at that weight until it's not that hard. Not too sure guys.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wait how long have you been lifting since you started back up again? You're not going to immediately be at what you were at before.
    ain't nuttin but a peanut.

You will have gotten stronger when the weight that feels heavy is actually heavier than the weight that feels heavy now. Then the weight that feels heavy now will be a warmup for the weight that feels heavy then. But the weight will always feel heavy or you're not lifting enough weight. Clear? -Rippetoe

It's only been about a month. I am just worried that I won't even make it there, I'm really pushing, just not sure what to do to keep increasing. Even my incline is starting to plateau. Do I just stay at a weight thats hard but I can finish all 8 reps until it gets easier then move up 5 pounds? Also another question, I am on a set routine but I workout every other day. Should I take weekends off?

If you are following IA's Hardgainer routine, you should not be working out every other day.
    Also, did you start your exercises with a light enough weight? It should take you a good month to work up to some difficult weight, but not all-out.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I'm not sure if it's his hardgainer routine. It's the one that's like "one in 20 people will pick this routine but....." and yes man I did start at very light weights so that I could practice on form and keep progressing. So I guess I should go M/W/F sat sun off?

Quote Originally Posted by marleau View Post
    So I guess I should go M/W/F sat sun off?
    Yes, that would be a good start, none of IA's routines are over three days a week. You might also consider cutting back the weight you are using to about 80%, then build back up slowly. Lastly, make sure you are eating enough, you should be gaining a little weight every week.

When things start getting really hard again, start micro-loading. When a lift stalls out, change something. Change the set/rep scheme, or change the angle, or change the hand/foot placement, or swap for a similar lift. This should keep you busy for the next year or so...
    Last edited by Off Road; 04-22-2010 at 07:23 AM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Sounds great thanks man I wil deload a little and build back up (hopefully). When should I switch routines?

Quote Originally Posted by marleau View Post
    When should I switch routines?
    If you are making the changes I mentioned, you should stick to it for a good long time. Maybe re-assess your progress after three months, if things are still going good, keep milking it.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Thanks for the replies guys.