The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

SS For the intermediate lifter

I've been lifting on and off for 5 or 6 years and I've never done anything like the starting strength program.
    So I was just wondering if it would be a bad idea for someone in my position to use the routine or if I should stay with the intermediate work
    5' 11"
    170 lb

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

How are you defining intermediate?

Many tend to call themselves intermediates, when in reality they are still novices.

Novice as defined as someone who can progress daily, work out to work out with heavier weight. An intermediate is one who needs to program their progression on a week to week basis.

If you haven't maxed out your daily linear progression, you are still classified as a novice (at least by Rippetoe standards) and you should program as such.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

Wannabebig New Member
    I would recommend you try the new routine. If you want to see new growth change your routine at least every 4-6 weeks. Don't get caught up in the definition of what is intermediate and advanced. Anyone who has been working out for over five years can adapt to an advanced program. and will see new growth as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by hartbody View Post
    I would recommend you try the new routine. If you want to see new growth change your routine at least every 4-6 weeks. Don't get caught up in the definition of what is intermediate and advanced. Anyone who has been working out for over five years can adapt to an advanced program. and will see new growth as a result.
    None of the above information is true. I was on the starting strength routine for 4 months because I was able to add weight every week. I am currently on the 5/3/1 program and have been for 8 weeks and will continue to be for at least 8 more weeks and probably longer because I am still seeing gains.

Also, I could have been doing bicep curls and tricep kickbacks for 5 years and that is by no one's definition an intermediate lifter ready to go on to advanced lifting. Time does not define your level of advancement.
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

If you've been "on and off', you are very likely not even close to intermediate. Do SS as written and get as much as you can out of it, which could be quite a bit if you haven't done alot of heavy squatting and deadlifting before. Just make sure you follow the actual SS program, meaning doing the progression correctly, resetting when necessary, and getting in plenty of extra calories and protein. Don't be one of those people who does the program halfway, then says they stalled after 3 weeks.