The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Nice session man, your a freakin animal!! Solid DL form also.

Nice work Eric!

I moved your second thread over to your regular log just to keep things organized. Most of us just "reply" our new workouts into the same log so it's easier to keep track of stuff (both for yourself and readers)

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Thanks Travis! I'm still trying to figure out how everything works on here, so next time i post up my log, just do it on this thread here?

Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post

Here ya go. 700+ for a speed pull
    Nice lifting Eric!!!!!!
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

TJW
    Awesome work Eric! Keep the videos coming because they are great motivation. Keep up the awesome work representing the young guys out there!

Congrats

Hey Eric, we never meet. I wanted to welcome you and congratulate you on you ALN sponsorship. I can't say enough about Daniel and Chris and their products, they are the best. Without their supplements, support, and them, I wouldn't be where I'm at in my powerlifting career today.

Welcome to the team. Maybe we will meet at RUM someday.
    Ryan Celli

Primal Power Systems
    Welcome to the team bro
    Adrian Larsen-
    711lbs bench single ply
    Primal Power Systems
    ELITE TRAINING EXTREME PERFORMANCE

AT LARGE NUTRITION

Ken Anderson
    Anderson Powerlifting
    WBB Journal - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...n-Training-Log

Light Bench workout from wednesday (4-21-10)

Weighed in at 255lbs

Switched things up a little bit and warmed up with a band on each side, doubled around for extra tension

bar w/ band x 25
    135 w/ band x 15
    185 w/ band x 12
    225 w/ band x 10
    275 x 8
    315 x 4
    365 x 3
    405 x 1
    425 x 1

Close grips (hands all the way in the middle where the nurling ends, with thumbs tucked back)
    225 x 15 x 2 (very slow and controlled reps and squeeze at the top to work the triceps extra hard)

Dumbell pec flys
    70's x 10
    60's x 15
    50's x 15
    40's x 15

Tricep Cable Push Downs
    3 sets total 10 reps, 12 reps, 15 reps (start at heavy weight, come down in weight for the next couple sets)

Decline sit ups
    2 sets of 20 reps

Right pec has been feeling a little weird lately. So i'm just going lighter and taking things easy, don't want to tare anything or strain anything so i'm just doing lighter work to get some good pumps going and to let everything rest up and heal for when i start training heavy in 4 weeks for my next meet.

Squat workout from saturday 4-24-10

Light squats (no belt, w/ 55lb squat bar)

bar x 15
    145 x 12
    235 x 8
    325 x 5
    425 x 3
    525 x 3

Deadlifts
    135 x 10 (stiff legged, slow reps to stretch hamstring)
    225 x 10 (stiff legged, slow reps to stretch hamstring)
    315 x 4
    415 x 3
    525 x 1
    625 x 1
    675 x 1
    725 x 1

Bent rows
    350 x 15
    315 x 20

Upright rows
    135 x 12 x 2
    115 x 15 x 2

Light Leg press (all the way down until it hits the bottom)
    550 x 10
    650 x 10
    750 x 10

Decline sit ups
    2 sets of 20

Everything felt very good and not that heavy. Overall had a great workout and just trying to maintain my strength for now until i start my heavy training cycle in about 4 weeks.

Good **** in here dude. Looking forward to following that heavy cycle in a few weeks
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Quote Originally Posted by Detard View Post
    Good **** in here dude. Looking forward to following that heavy cycle in a few weeks
    Thanks! I need to write out my cycle soon and have everything planned on what i want to do in training because it's coming up quick. I only have about 3 weeks left of my maintanence training and then i'll start hitting it hard again.

Bench Workout from Wednesday (4-28-10)

weighed in at 257lbs

5 minutes of stretching and warming up

Bench (regular grip)
    bar x 50
    bar w/ double looped band x 20
    135 w/ double looped band x 15
    185 w/ double looped band x 12
    225 w/ double looped band x 10
    275 x 6
    315 x 4
    365 x 3
    405 x 3
    440 x 3

Inclines (high incline)
    135 x 15
    225 x 12
    275 x 10

Close grips (pinkys on the inside of nurling)
    275 x 15
    225 x 15

Dumbell Pec Flys
    70's x 10
    50's x 12
    40's x 15

Tricep Cable Push Downs
    3 sets of 10 (slow reps, squeeze hard at the bottom and hold for a second)

Decline sit ups
    2 sets of 20

Wannabebig New Member
    Awesome log. I've been subbed to your youtube vids for a while.

What are you planning to hit for your next meet?
    Last edited by robrob210; 05-01-2010 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robrob210 View Post
    Awesome log. I've been subbed to your youtube vids for a while.

What are you planning to hit for your next meet?
    Thanks! I have some numbers i'd like to get. Last cycle i went real heavy and hit PR's in the gym, with singles but this cycle around i'm not going to do that, i'm going to save the near limit lifts for the meet.

Squat i'm shooting for 830-840 in belt and wraps, Bench anywhere from 520ish-540 with a pause, i really don't know how i'll feel on bench after squating so somewhere between there, and deadlift i'm going for 804, it'll be my first meet and first time pulling 800+ since my injury in december. So we'll see! 2,100 should happen this meet for sure

Leg & back workout (did this workout on 5-2-10)

Weighed in at 256lbs

Squats (55lb squat bar)
    bar x 15
    145 x 12
    235 x 8
    325 x 5
    425 x 3
    525 x 2
    605 x 2 (belt and wraps)
    655 x 2 (belt and wraps)
    705 x 4 (belt and wraps)

Light deadlifts
    135 x 10
    225 x 8
    315 x 4
    405 x 2
    505 x 1

Leg extensions
    4 sets of 12

Lat pull downs
    4 sets, reps (15, 12, 10, 15) drop weight on last set

Decline sit ups
    2 sets of 20

Everything felt pretty good for this workout. I hadn't gone over 600 on the squat since my competition in March, was pretty much just trying to maintain my strength but i felt good after my set with 655 so i figured i'd see how 700+ felt and test where my strength is at and so far for being on my PCT for 3 1/2 weeks my squat strength is pretty close to where it was before my competition so i was happy with that. I start training for my competition on May 30th, so i'll be posting a lot more videos and workouts once i start that cycle, right now i'm just trying to maintain my weight and strength.

Eric, could you tell us newbies on how to structure a routine - using your methods (weekly progressive overload).

From what I understand, you alternate between heavy squatting/light pulling, heavy pulling/light squatting.

Do you just add 10 lbs every other week til you reach your goal for the meet? For bench, do you just add 5 lbs every week til you work your way up to your desired number?

Do you feel like this is something a beginner could use with success? Would you do anything differently for someone who wasn't planning on competing for a few years?

Hope you don't mind all the questions man. Thanks.
    Persistence is strength.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBKGorilla View Post
    Eric, could you tell us newbies on how to structure a routine - using your methods (weekly progressive overload).

From what I understand, you alternate between heavy squatting/light pulling, heavy pulling/light squatting.

Do you just add 10 lbs every other week til you reach your goal for the meet? For bench, do you just add 5 lbs every week til you work your way up to your desired number?

Do you feel like this is something a beginner could use with success? Would you do anything differently for someone who wasn't planning on competing for a few years?

Hope you don't mind all the questions man. Thanks.
    Well, if you are just starting out, you can squat & deadlift every week, it's not really going to matter at that point. When i first started lifting, i squated and deadlifted in the same week for a good 4 years until i finally decided to alternate them. The only reason why i started to alternate them was because my strength was climbing fast and i couldn't recover fast enough. So once i started alternating squats and deadlifts every week, the recovery was a lot better. Doing any type of pyramid training is going to get you big gains. How do i know? Because that's exactly how i train. All of my "heavy training" is done for a competition. When i'm not training for a competition, i just try to maintain my strength and body weight. There is absolutely no way anyone can stay peaked for a long period of time. You will hit your big PR's probably a couple weeks out from a meet and during the meet, but after that your strength will start to slowly decline, if you do it right, because the goal is to be peaked 100% by your meet. At least that's how it is for raw lifters. The numbers i have done, i cannot do when i'm not training for a competition. I usually lose at least 5% off of all of my lifts, probably closer to 10% on my bench because i refuse to go near limit when i'm not training for a meet. If you want to structure an easy program, don't do more than what is needed. Don't bench twice a week because it's not nessessary. Pick out 3 days of the week that you know you will be able to lift on no matter what, and make those your primary days that you will lift on every week. Something like Mon, Wed, Fri or Tues, Thurs, Sat would be a pretty good set up, especially for the 3 powerlifts. First you need to get your form down. That is the most important thing. It doesn't matter how much you can lift, if you have horrible form going into the sport, it's most likely not going to get much better unless you work on it. Once you've learned how to do the form on all the lfits, you need to know where your strength is at, so do a test to see where your strength is at on your lifts. Do a 1 rep max or do a set with a weight that you're comfortable with and see how many times you can do it until you fail, preferebly a weight that you think you could do somewhere between 8-10 reps. Now on the deadlift that's going to be a lot different depending on if you do touch n go reps or if you're doing dead stop reps. Once you've done that, then you can start to put together a routine for yourself and start pyramiding up to a number you would like to achieve within your limits. That's exactly what i've done since i started lifting at 13 years old. I don't need to do the rep set or 1 rep max to see where my strength is at. I go off of my best PR's from my previous competition and i try to shoot for 15-25lbs more on each of my lifts. Every cycle is going to be different and one of the lifts you might make bigger gains in than the others, it just depends on you.

Bench workout (5-13-10)

Weighed in at 257lbs in the morning

5 minutes of stretching

Bench Press (Narrow grips, pinkys an inch inside the rings)
    bar x 50
    bar x 25 w/ band
    135 x 15 w/ band
    185 x 12 w/ band
    225 x 10 w/ band
    275 x 6
    315 x 4
    365 x 3
    405 x 1
    440 x 1

Close grips (hands about 8-10 inchs apart from eachother in the middle)
    335 x 10 (best i've ever done, felt easy)
    225 x 25 (another personal best, felt easy)

Dumbell pec flys
    60's x 12
    50's x 15
    40's x 15

Tricep cable push downs
    4 sets total, reps (10,10,12,15)

Decline sit ups
    2 sets of 20 reps

Haven't posted up in a little while, haven't really gone heavy or anything in the past week so my workouts were just very light training because i wasn't feeling too great. This workout was decent, the 2nd half of my workout felt a lot better once i did the close grips. Right now i'm not trying to go too heavy on the bench, for my workout sets i'm staying between 405-455 for the most part every week. I've really been pushing the close grips hard and have been making some good progress on those. I start my heavy training cycle on May 30th, which will be a deadlift workout and i'll be keeping track and recording every workout from that point foward until my compitition.

Quote Originally Posted by elilliebridge View Post
    Well, if you are just starting out, you can squat & deadlift every week, it's not really going to matter at that point. When i first started lifting, i squated and deadlifted in the same week for a good 4 years until i finally decided to alternate them. The only reason why i started to alternate them was because my strength was climbing fast and i couldn't recover fast enough. So once i started alternating squats and deadlifts every week, the recovery was a lot better. Doing any type of pyramid training is going to get you big gains. How do i know? Because that's exactly how i train. All of my "heavy training" is done for a competition. When i'm not training for a competition, i just try to maintain my strength and body weight. There is absolutely no way anyone can stay peaked for a long period of time. You will hit your big PR's probably a couple weeks out from a meet and during the meet, but after that your strength will start to slowly decline, if you do it right, because the goal is to be peaked 100% by your meet. At least that's how it is for raw lifters. The numbers i have done, i cannot do when i'm not training for a competition. I usually lose at least 5% off of all of my lifts, probably closer to 10% on my bench because i refuse to go near limit when i'm not training for a meet. If you want to structure an easy program, don't do more than what is needed. Don't bench twice a week because it's not nessessary. Pick out 3 days of the week that you know you will be able to lift on no matter what, and make those your primary days that you will lift on every week. Something like Mon, Wed, Fri or Tues, Thurs, Sat would be a pretty good set up, especially for the 3 powerlifts. First you need to get your form down. That is the most important thing. It doesn't matter how much you can lift, if you have horrible form going into the sport, it's most likely not going to get much better unless you work on it. Once you've learned how to do the form on all the lfits, you need to know where your strength is at, so do a test to see where your strength is at on your lifts. Do a 1 rep max or do a set with a weight that you're comfortable with and see how many times you can do it until you fail, preferebly a weight that you think you could do somewhere between 8-10 reps. Now on the deadlift that's going to be a lot different depending on if you do touch n go reps or if you're doing dead stop reps. Once you've done that, then you can start to put together a routine for yourself and start pyramiding up to a number you would like to achieve within your limits. That's exactly what i've done since i started lifting at 13 years old. I don't need to do the rep set or 1 rep max to see where my strength is at. I go off of my best PR's from my previous competition and i try to shoot for 15-25lbs more on each of my lifts. Every cycle is going to be different and one of the lifts you might make bigger gains in than the others, it just depends on you.
    Perfect. Thank you so much.

I totally plan to train the way you mentioned.

Thanks for all the help Eric. Much appreciated.
    Last edited by SilverBKGorilla; 05-14-2010 at 04:59 PM.
    Persistence is strength.

I love that fact that Eric is here and keeping this log. He is truly a phenom putting up numbers that smoke just about anyone in the world, and he is young as heck! I look forward to Eric being the strongest raw lifter in the world sometime in the near future.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

You are indeed a phenomenal lifter Eric, what you are doing is amazing!

Glad to see you logging your training here Eric! Great stuff!!!

Buddy McKee
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

Here is the video of stan and i lifting from today!

Wannabebig New Member
    GREAT LIFTING ERIC!

However I must ask you a very dumb question. What song is playing while you are squating 755lbs in the video? I cant find it for the life of me.