The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Squat Form?

Squat Form?

I see this problem over and over. Guys don't have the lower back and hip flexibility to reach depth without rounding over their lower backs in the hole. As soon as that happens they obviously loose almost all rebound from their gear.

I have 2 guys doing this and I've been trying some things to fix it. I'll be glad to share these things and keep you all posted as to what works.

But, for now I would like to hear your suggestions on how to fix this problem??????????????

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I guess work on hamstring and hip flexibility until they can do it right. Sacrifice depth in the mean time.

I posted a thread about this a little while ago because my brother has this problem. Some good advice in that thread.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

I'm not sure how much it's flexibility vs posterior chain weakness. I always see people claiming it's flexibility, but oddly enough when there's no weight on their back they can hold form just fine. The lean forward is the body's way of trying to use the quads because the hamstrings aren't strong enough.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusWild View Post
    I'm not sure how much it's flexibility vs posterior chain weakness. I always see people claiming it's flexibility, but oddly enough when there's no weight on their back they can hold form just fine. The lean forward is the body's way of trying to use the quads because the hamstrings aren't strong enough.
    Neither one of them can arch their lower backs at all while sitting on a parallel box. It's not that they lean forward either. They keep their chests high but just round their lower backs.
    Last edited by SoCoBarbell; 04-22-2010 at 03:35 PM.

I had the same problem and sort of still do, but I fixed it alot by moving my feet out more. Because I found that with me a wider stance allowed me to sit back ALOT better and I was able to stay more arched. So maybe you can try that and see what happens.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

Quote Originally Posted by SoCoBarbell View Post
    Neither one of them can arch their lower backs at all while sitting on a parallel box. It's not that they lean forward either. They keep their chests high but just round their lower backs.
    Mike, I had that problem for a little while. I fixed it by squatting even deeper and working on lower back and overall core strength.

I started squatting to 12, 8, and 6 inch boxes and doing heavy ab crunches and ab tucks.
    5'8" 177 (meet PRs) ALL RAW

Bench - 290 (291) Pause reps Dead - 500 (479.5) Squat - 446 (430)

Total - 1236 (1168.4)

Goals: Bench - 280 met 1/19/09 new goal - 300 Squat - 435 met 11/28/09 new goal 475 Dead - 500 met 1/23/10 new goal 525

The Quest

Holy S**T, a 6" box.....that is deep!!!!!

SoCo, if you have a SSB have them squat to a low box with it. That will help with lower back strength for sure.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

Weightlifting Shoes will help with hitting depth. Especially felxibility issues
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Whenever we have someone that can't squat properly, I have them try to do a GHR. It never fails that they can't even do 1 rep. I start them on a higher box and lower it 3/4" every we weeks as long as they can hold form. Then they do a lot of posterior chain work for accessories. It takes awhile but eventually things start to come together on their squat.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Thanks guys. I can assure you it's not lower back, hamstring or glute weakness. We do GHR's and one of the guys is freaky strong for the amount of time training. We do GHR's with bands and with it elevated in the back. We also hit the reverse hyper and do back raises with bands. The stronger guy does waist high good mornings pretty stiff legged with #455 for reps.

I've had them both sit on a parallel box and try to arch their lower backs and neither one can do it AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and it doesn't matter if their legs are wide or in close. It seems the wider their legs are the more they round over.

The way I see it it's a real flexibility issue. They're just too tight in both the hips and especially the lower back.

I had planned to have them squat on a higher box and see just how far down they can get before they break form.

What I'm really looking for are ways to stretch them out? My flexibility came real easy so I'm having a hard time figuring out how make them stretch.

Thats pretty funny marcus. But true. you cant teach some one who is just weak how to squat/deadlift or even bench properly. you have to get them somewhat strong before there form can be dialed in. It all takes time but you should always have them try as hard as possible to use the good form so when they get stronger sh1t will start clicking