Thread: Atlas Stones+forearms

Atlas Stones+forearms

I've recently been introduced to the wonderful world of atlas stones, and loving it. Except for the strawberries I get on my forearms after lifting heavier stones. I've been reading up on how to protect my forearms while producing better grip. I'm going to try sports tape and tacky, that way the tacky doesn't end up pulling my skin off just as bad as the stones would, plus gives me better grip from the bottom. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding this, or any other method to protecting my arms while helping with my grip? The way it's going now, the sweat from my workout has really altered my grip and power from the ground to my lap. Plus the stone is leaving me with some pretty awesome strawberries on my forearms. The pain isn't bothering me much now, but when I start lifting heavier, and in competitions, I reckon it'd start screwing with my concentration and such. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

I've only used this method on a very light stone (135lbs) so I don't know if it will work on heavier stones. That said we made our stone with the cement that has sand and gravel in it, so it's rough as ****. I just use a long sleeve tshirt rather than a regular one, and that seems to protect my arms a bit better. No bleeding FTW!

Andrew
    Do what needs to be done.

Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

I wonder if an under armor shirt would work then. I have a few long sleeved under armor shirts, I may give one a shot and see how it goes then.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    I've recently been introduced to the wonderful world of atlas stones, and loving it. Except for the strawberries I get on my forearms after lifting heavier stones. I've been reading up on how to protect my forearms while producing better grip. I'm going to try sports tape and tacky, that way the tacky doesn't end up pulling my skin off just as bad as the stones would, plus gives me better grip from the bottom. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding this, or any other method to protecting my arms while helping with my grip? The way it's going now, the sweat from my workout has really altered my grip and power from the ground to my lap. Plus the stone is leaving me with some pretty awesome strawberries on my forearms. The pain isn't bothering me much now, but when I start lifting heavier, and in competitions, I reckon it'd start screwing with my concentration and such. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
    Athletic tape works very well, although it is not as simple as it may sound. There are some very specific ways that you need to tape your arms and apply the tacky.

Using pre-wrap spray (stickum) and making sure that your arms are clean/dry is important. From there you want to make sure that you do not use an unecessary amount of tape as it limits your range of motion and can cut off circultation. You only need to tape the portion of your forearm that actually connects with the stone. A simple spiral method will work well and then if you are having problems with sliding you can criss cross it at the end and lock the tape in place. It is best to flex your forearm when taping so that you do not cut off circulation and are still able to move your wrists to grab the stones. If your tape is still sliding around you may want to try duct tape at the top of your arm to help 'lock in' the athletic tape. Vetwrap (from pet stores) also works quite well for stones but it will slide if you are in humid conditions. In many cases you will just have to try different combinations until you find what works best for you.

For tacky you will also have to try different formulas and methods of applying the tacky. There are quite a few options available and I can give you recommendations depending on your climate. In many cases you will also want to make sure that you store your tacky in a cool place away from sunlight, or perhaps even in a refridgerator/cooler. When you apply the tacky you always want to use small dabs of it and apply a thin, even coat.

Having the right tape/tacky combination can make a huge difference on stones. I would say that most people get 75+ lbs from the tacky.

I can maybe video some of this for you if that would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    I wonder if an under armor shirt would work then. I have a few long sleeved under armor shirts, I may give one a shot and see how it goes then.
    No, you definitely do not want to wear an unde armor shirt for stones, or any other long sleeve shirt.

If you wanted a simple solution the Mueller arm sleeves sold by jackals will give you pretty good grip on the stones if you tape them in place, but if you use tacky you will ruin them after 1-2 workouts.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Athletic tape works very well, although it is not as simple as it may sound. There are some very specific ways that you need to tape your arms and apply the tacky.

Using pre-wrap spray (stickum) and making sure that your arms are clean/dry is important. From there you want to make sure that you do not use an unecessary amount of tape as it limits your range of motion and can cut off circultation. You only need to tape the portion of your forearm that actually connects with the stone. A simple spiral method will work well and then if you are having problems with sliding you can criss cross it at the end and lock the tape in place. It is best to flex your forearm when taping so that you do not cut off circulation and are still able to move your wrists to grab the stones. If your tape is still sliding around you may want to try duct tape at the top of your arm to help 'lock in' the athletic tape. Vetwrap (from pet stores) also works quite well for stones but it will slide if you are in humid conditions. In many cases you will just have to try different combinations until you find what works best for you.

For tacky you will also have to try different formulas and methods of applying the tacky. There are quite a few options available and I can give you recommendations depending on your climate. In many cases you will also want to make sure that you store your tacky in a cool place away from sunlight, or perhaps even in a refridgerator/cooler. When you apply the tacky you always want to use small dabs of it and apply a thin, even coat.

Having the right tape/tacky combination can make a huge difference on stones. I would say that most people get 75+ lbs from the tacky.

I can maybe video some of this for you if that would be helpful.

No, you definitely do not want to wear an unde armor shirt for stones, or any other long sleeve shirt.

If you wanted a simple solution the Mueller arm sleeves sold by jackals will give you pretty good grip on the stones if you tape them in place, but if you use tacky you will ruin them after 1-2 workouts.
    Thank you SO much Tom for the help. I live in TX, so it's over 100 in the summer and can be as low as 20 in the winter, so yeah for the most part it'll be hot. I'm going to get some tape and stickum along with tacky and go from there. I'll search around and look for some videos of what I'm looking for. Now that I have an idea. Thanks so much again.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

my only concern with forearm scars was the weird looks and questions i'd get asked from people at work.

as far as pain, in training or competition with the adrenaline flowing you don't feel a thing, funny how during intense physical activity the body/mind can mask all pain to allow you to get things done.

also, have you tried forearm sleeves?
    Last edited by Rugby Dad; 04-14-2010 at 03:05 PM.

I'm not concerned with the pain, because like you said with adrenaline you don't feel it just then. I was reading and several guys who have their own methods that have competed in strongman have said with heavier stones, the pain has been noticed and played a slight factor in their concentration. I haven't tried forearm sleeves yet, and all the guys I work with know what I've been up to so they pretty much already know what the scratches aches and pains are from, haha. My first plan of action will be tape stickum and tacky.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Forearm sleeves do not usually work very well, but tape will protect your forearms and keep you from getting 'stone rash'.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Banned
    I would like to see a video as well. I've got a nice set of scars from stones that I hope I can prevent from getting worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Forearm sleeves do not usually work very well, but tape will protect your forearms and keep you from getting 'stone rash'.
    Do you usually just use duct tape? Athletic tape? What kind of tape would be best for this?
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I'd like to see a video of wrapping the arms with athletic tape and all. I tried it last night and didn't have too much success, lol. I think it's "diesel crew" that has a video out about atlas stones, too bad it's like $40.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May