Thread: Rack lockouts for raw bencher

Wannabebig Member

Rack lockouts for raw bencher

I'm doing a routine that requires me to do rack lockouts in a couple of weeks. How high should I set the pins? I'm a raw bencher if that says anything. Should I set it wherever I find my weakpoint is?

Also what are some good forearms strengtheners?

Quote Originally Posted by Mugen46 View Post
    I'm doing a routine that requires me to do rack lockouts in a couple of weeks. How high should I set the pins? I'm a raw bencher if that says anything. Should I set it wherever I find my weakpoint is?

Also what are some good forearms strengtheners?
    I like to put mine pretty high, where my sticking point is. Maybe do a search on youtube and see what the big benchers are doing. It comes down to personal preferance I think......

For forearms, I like to do heavy farmer walks with a finger grip. I also have a home-made wrist roller that I use. It's basically a pipe with a rope on it, with weights on the end. I roll it up and down, it's a great forearm workout. I started doing them when I was younger when I rode motocross, to help wtih forearm pump......
    Last edited by jp2; 04-14-2010 at 09:44 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jp2 View Post
    I like to put mine pretty high, where my sticking point is. Maybe do a search on youtube and see what the big benchers are doing. It comes down to personal preferance I think......

For forearms, I like to do heavy farmer walks with a finger grip. I also have a home-made wrist roller that I use. It's basically a pipe with a rope on it, with weights on the end. I roll it up and down, it's a great forearm workout. I started doing them when I was younger when I rode motocross, to help wtih forearm pump......
    Those are definitely THE two best exercises to strengthen forearms. I completely agree and do the same exact thing...

Captains of Crush, baby! Here.

I'm on #2 and can tell a big difference in grip strength.
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

IMO low rack lock-outs can hurt you, I would do some high rack lock-outs just to get you used to big weights.
    I do think benching either full range or to a 1 or 2 board with and without bands will help your raw bench more but the lock-outs will be of some use.

For grip shrugs without straps are great and of course build your traps at the same time, tons of back work and some hammer curls.
    There are lots of good options but barbell shrugs and hex holds are my personal favorites.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Gotta agree w/ Nick, Board presses bro... Set the boards @ a height right below your sticking point. I know a lot of guys that do pin presses but I never had good luck w/ them.

They can be hard on your shoulders & elbows so dont forget the ice! As far as forearms, hammer-curls are the staple but wrist curls & grip-work are my 2nd & 3rd choices.

I do all (3) if I have time.

Quote Originally Posted by Standard Template
    Triceps - On one session, do high intensity/low volume triceps work. An example might be 4 or 5 board presses or rack lockouts with heavy weights. Wendler prefers to do this on Dynamic Effort day.
    I prefer to use Wendlers suggestion of rack lockouts with heavy weights as I haven't made 4 or 5 boards I just have a 2 board.

You should set the pins just below your sticking point and make sure you pause at each rep.

I've been mixing rack lockouts at about a 2brd height all the way up to around a 4brd height and it seems to be working quite well. They won't hurt you unless you use bad form or you go heavier than you should. A lot of guys I've seen just bring the bar down too high and end up with the weight all in their shoulders and pecs, which is why I don't recommend them to tons of people. You have to do them right.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I like rack lockouts but I only use them to get my self used to weights that are much much higher than I can bench raw or shirted. But mine are pretty much lockouts only. I really like boards for eliminating sticking points. I find it easier to keep proper form and line with boards.

I think the guys above me covered all you need to do for huge forearms.

Reverse barbell curls and hammer curls for forearms. I used to do rack lockouts as a staple in my training, they did very little for me. Looking back, that might have been because I set the pins too high.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

lock outs

I like doing them mid range. I pause all reps, and use a closer grip. Like Travis said, your form should be very good. I like using bands or chains with them, as pec strains are common with heavy pin work. By using the bands or chains you will have a light weight off the bottom and super heavy on top. Less stress on the pec at start.

babrell curls and hammer curls work great for forearm strength and size.