The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    If you want to do multiple sets of 20 reppers, more power to you. I see absolutely no reason to do more than one set of them. In fact, i think it kind of defeats the purpose of them as it is supposed to drag out extra reps with an already tough weight. But hey, there's more than one way to skin a cat...
    OK, just asking, I'm still gonna 1 set like you said.

Today I got a squat PR of 315 for 5 reps and decided to try 20 reps for my last (5th) set. I dropped the weight down to 225lbs, rested for a few minutes, and unracked the weight. Taking a good deep breath between reps 1 through 5, and 5 good deep breaths between reps 6 to 10, I aaaaaaallll most couldnt get out of the hole on rep 10. Seriously. For a second I didn't think I would make it up, so when I finally did, I re-racked. Getting 20 reps will take some practice. Maybe I should try on a day that doesn't involve moving more weight than I ever have. Good times.
    5'9". 34.-----------------------------BEST LIFTS-----------------------GOALS
    Bodyweight-------------------------BE 280 x 1------------------------BE 300 x 1
    Jan 2009: 151 lbs----------------SQ 365 x 2-----------------------SQ 400 x 1
    Jan 2010: 221 lbs----------------DL 405 x 1------------------------DL 500 x 1
    Current: 214 lbs
    bulking again -- working on my DL

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
    Maybe I should try on a day that doesn't involve moving more weight than I ever have.

You think.... ?
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Bosch232 View Post
    You think.... ?
    HAHAHA yeah. Well Offroad mentioned working 20 reppers in after the heavy set, and the 315 felt good soooooo I gave it a go.
    5'9". 34.-----------------------------BEST LIFTS-----------------------GOALS
    Bodyweight-------------------------BE 280 x 1------------------------BE 300 x 1
    Jan 2009: 151 lbs----------------SQ 365 x 2-----------------------SQ 400 x 1
    Jan 2010: 221 lbs----------------DL 405 x 1------------------------DL 500 x 1
    Current: 214 lbs
    bulking again -- working on my DL

Thus I Refute Thee !!!! Bodyguard's Avatar
    That was amazing!
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 238

All lifts are raw:

Bench: 325(max)
    Squat: 510(max)
    Dead lift: 500(max)

Good for you Nicky...you gave it a go. That's why I'm a proponent of starting light and building up. It will give you the confidence to hit all 20 reps when things get brutal.

On Friday I did 345 x 7, followed by 270 x 20. My immediate goal for the next couple of cycles will be 400 x 5 followed by 300 x 20. It won't be a 20 rep PR by a long shot, but it should kick my butt none the less.
    Last edited by Off Road; 04-17-2010 at 08:24 PM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Garage Lifter
    I can't get the idea of doing a cycle of 20 rep squat out of head

I may have to give it a go for the cycle coming up. I've done 135 x 20 before when I was messing around with some volume work back around Christmas. May have to see where I am tomorrow.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

If I do one set of 20 rep squats, how many sets and reps of dumbbell pullovers should I do after it?

Quote Originally Posted by Pure Water View Post
    If I do one set of 20 rep squats, how many sets and reps of dumbbell pullovers should I do after it?
    One set imediately after the squats.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    One set imediately after the squats.
    How many reps should I perform? 20?

Quote Originally Posted by Pure Water View Post
    How many reps should I perform? 20?
    Yes, 20 reps. Use a light weight (~20) and concentrate on taking deep lung-filling breaths and stretch the rib cage.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Hm... are the pullovers a rather important part of the process? I've never actually done pullovers (I suppose now's a good time to learn though), and after reading that article I think I would like to give some 20-reppers a try. Last time I did was years ago, and I don't think I even squatted correctly then.

My biggest concern is getting to a bench with a barbell "immediately following" the 20-rep squats. Half the time all the benches are filled up with people working oh-so-hard on their pectorals.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 04-30-2010 at 03:36 AM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

The pullovers are probably not that important. They are supposed to help expand the rib cage and give you a bigger torso. Do they work? I don't know, but I used to do them anyway. I liked doing them and it felt better than just collapsing on the floor.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Great article man, thanks for posting it.

Banned
    Do you set up differently for a 20 rep squat?

I've been doing 8-12 rep stuff recently (on everything) because I wanted a change. Up until Easter I did 5x5 squats and singles, doubles, and triples, all wide stance, low bar position, to parallel. Now my ten-rep squats I've started doing high-bar, slightly narrower stance and almost atf.

Because the weight is lighter I feel more comfortable going all the way down, and the stress of low-bar squatting for 10reps+ makes my arms go numb! Holding it up higher makes it much easier on my chest and biceps. So a few little things have completely changed my set-up. Do you find this as well?

Back when I did a couple of rounds of 5X5, I'd incorporate 20 rep squats every other week. Each time would be heavier than the last. I think if you've got the right weight on the bar, 1 set will do more than enough.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Drummer,
    I always feel better using a high bar and a natural stance for 20 reps. Do whatever is comfortable, it will be on your back for a while and the last thing you want to do is worry about the bar sliding.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal