The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Weekends Only?

Weekends Only?

I've been debating working out only on the weekend, I wanted some opinions.

I'm feeling extremely run down during the week with a job, girlfriend, and what little of a social life I have. I can see some extra benefit from the rest and a high caloric intake all week.

I was wondering if anyone had some experience with this type of training?

Currently I go on the weekends and twice during the week.

Thanks
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Well it's obviously better than not working out at all

You could do a upper body on sat and a lower body on sun?

But ultimately you'll get better results by training muscles more frequently, which means having a weekly split.

I'm gonna vote for suck it up and continue training in the week But, why not just give the upper and lower body thing a go? You may like it and respond well to it and actually enjoying your time in the gym is the most important thing.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Iron Junkie
    I strongly suggest that you keep training how you are; or at the very least, work out 3 days per week (maybe 2 workouts on the weekend and 1 during the week). Doing only 2 workouts with 5 days in between will not likely be enough to stimulate any growth (at best, it will maintain what you already have). Also, have you ever considered getting your girlfriend to join the gym with you?
    Weaves
    Iron Junkie - Go Hard Or Go Home

I disagree. Working out twice a week is an excellent way to make gains. However, having both days in a row is not ideal.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Daniel Clough, OffRoad:

I appreciate the advice. Currently I do Push/Pull for my Upper day - Then squats with a deadlift accessory or vis versa.

If I'm correct, doesn't Chris Mason only train 2-3 days a week, but his intensity is extreme on those days?

I know he posted (WAY back in the day) the strength gain periods and it peaked somewhere after 2 weeks. I could be wrong about this, but I did do my research a while ago.

EDIT:

OffRoad:

Would you suggest 1 day mid week 1 day on the weekend? Equal spacing between days?
    Last edited by Cards; 04-28-2010 at 05:37 PM.

"I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Cards View Post

OffRoad:

Would you suggest 1 day mid week 1 day on the weekend? Equal spacing between days?
    That would be best. You could do a Saturday and then a Tuesday or Wednesday, whichever fits your social calendar for the week. That leaves some flexibility. I'd also suggest doing more of a full body workout; Squats, Bench and accessories on one day, then Deads, Press and accessories on the other day.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

Two day a week routines rock and if you have a busy lifestyle they are perfect, but as OF says, spacing them out and focusing on the big lifts mainly with a bit of acc work after is the way to do it!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

thanks for the input guys

Journal

Wannabestronger
    I know how you feel. I work almost 50 hrs a week and we have a newborn. I've found that waking up 40 minutes extra early a few times a week and working out those days, is the way to go. Its hard to lift tired so I usually have a meal or some no xplod before I lift. I am dead by the time I get off work, so this works great for me (plus I have to change poopy diapers)

Yeah, that's what I've been experiencing. I would need to work out 2 hours before i normally would. I will probably end up sucking it up and going 3-4 days a week. The real reason behind this is the school gym I use is now on summer hours and closes at 8 pm so I have to go at 6 am or nothing.

I'll end up getting a new gym membership.

Journal