Thread: How deep do you squat?

How deep do you squat?

I have kind of changed the way I squat. I have taken the mentality of squatting as low as I possibly can basically arse to floor. Now someone with multiple knee surgeries this may not seem like a bright idea but honestly my knees have actually taken nicely to the deeper stretch. Before I would always go below parallel, but always stopping at a point and pressing up. Now I go as deep as I possibly can keeping a narrower stance and my legs have really gotten sore in different spots and the change up has been enjoyable. Now my weight has drastically dropped, but I'm not a PL so I don't care that much.

Anyone got a personal preference?
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

I personally try to go as deep as possible too. I really like the idea of olympic lifting and may try to get into once I get a decent strength base again. The whole mobility, flexibility and strength combination is very appealing to me. I can't get ATG yet because I became a lazy slouch after a knee injury. I'd like to one day be able to high bar squat to rock bottom, but my hams and glutes are super weak so I'm doing deep as possilbe low bar wide stance for now.
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

In all honesty I've found that going down all the way is somewhat easier than limited ROM repetitions. While going down my knee automatically starts to slow down the movement whereas limited ROM reps require you to pay really close attention to where you are and it seems put more effort into reversing the movement of the weight.

If you're doing heavy weight all you gotta do is just relax your legs and let yourself go down. Seems like less work during the eccentric movement/contraction to me.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Always ass to grass. Always. That way I can be sure I'll never be the dude that puts 500 lbs on the bar, "squats" about two inches, and then walks around like he's Ronnie ****in Coleman. I hate those guys. I will not become them. Also I've never heard a valid argument why deep squatting is bad for the knees.
    5'10"

Ultra Nasty Hypertrophy journal (HCT-12)-http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...rnal!-(HCT-12)

Old My 5-3-1 Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132576

I squat high bar close stance ATG. It took some time on the foam roller and stretching to do so but it's well worth it.

Wannabebig Member
    c-c-c-c-c-c-combo breaker!

I squat to the point where i get 2 out of 3 white lights. I compete PL for the time being, so that is why. I will dust off the oly shoes and do some atf every once in a while, but its pretty rare.

Quote Originally Posted by d'Anconia View Post
    In all honesty I've found that going down all the way is somewhat easier than limited ROM repetitions. While going down my knee automatically starts to slow down the movement whereas limited ROM reps require you to pay really close attention to where you are and it seems put more effort into reversing the movement of the weight.

If you're doing heavy weight all you gotta do is just relax your legs and let yourself go down. Seems like less work during the eccentric movement/contraction to me.
    I have to disagree. Granted it has only been a couple of weeks, but I can do 100+ more pounds just breaking parallel then going A2F. For me it is a lot harder, but a nice change of pace for someone looking to do something different.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

i vary the depth of my squats. i'll go ATF at times. other times, if i'm really trying to hit my quads, i don't even break parallel.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I used to go ATF, but it didn't sit well with my knees (note: I've had knee problems since I was little, squatting didn't cause the knee discomfort, me being a crazy kid did). When I squat I go so slightly below parallel. When I box squat I go to 2-3 inches below, @ and 2-3 inches above parallel.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Gamer/Lifter
    I do 3/4s that way my knees don't blow out!

JK
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

I squat ATG now but used to squat just below parallel.
    Work hard. Stay humble.

BIG IRON FREAK
    i squat as high as i can without getting red lighted!

Just below parallel, using a box to gauge depth. I squat ATG when using lighter weights and higher reps. For the heavier stuff, my back doesn't like going too deep.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I can't go ATF because I lose the hamstring/glute tightness and my back starts to round off but I always go as deep as possible before that happens.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

Banned
    olympic atf

i used to do a wide stance PL form but it was really hard on my hips over time.. i switched to olympic and had to lower the weight

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VikingWarlord View Post
    I can't go ATF because I lose the hamstring/glute tightness and my back starts to round off but I always go as deep as possible before that happens.
    Same. I used to go ATF but realized my core was not staying tight and my back was rounding, so I quit doing that. I am around parallel or just barely below it now. Proper form parallel > crappy form ATF. If you have proper form with ATF I commend you.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

I keep form and go down as far as possible until I feel rounding. I do some ATF everyonce in a while, but I'm sure they don't look pretty.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Since I started having hip issues I've found that going ATG with a very narrow stance feels best on my hips. It took a while but I can now hit heavier weight than I could when I went wide stance. I still go low bar, though.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I'm an Oly lifter... guess how deep I squat. High bar, narrow stance, knees going forwards

Ever since I lost a lot of weight, my squats are at a ridiculous depth, I have a very large ROM now.

PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU DO SOME KIND OF SOFT TISSUE WORK, LIKE FOAM ROLLING ESPECIALLY ON THE ITB BANDS IF YOU WANT LONGEVITY WITH ATG SQUATS.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Banned
    To parallel - wide stance, low-bar position. I used to go deeper with high-bar and a narrow stance but stopped for the same rounded back reasons that others mentioned. Occasionally I'll do some light weight atf and just put up with a little rounding.

Not too deep, I was doing deep till my instructor told me to change it. Now im used to it. Im not sure about the argument about not good for the knee.
    Which one is the best Home Automation or Smart Home Automation

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU DO SOME KIND OF SOFT TISSUE WORK, LIKE FOAM ROLLING ESPECIALLY ON THE ITB BANDS IF YOU WANT LONGEVITY WITH ATG SQUATS.
    Can you elaborate on this? What is "soft tissue work"? Like just massaging the knee area or something?

Honestly recently I've had a resurgence of enthusiasm for the ATG squats. I mean I pretty much go as low as my legs will possibly let me go.

I honestly want to film it some time soon and get some feedback from you guys.

PS I also have hip issues for some reason. Maybe my stance is too wide although I've been working on narrowing it. Still even if it's narrow my hips and knees tend to bow out. Makes the outside of my hips really sore.
    Last edited by d'Anconia; 04-16-2010 at 03:40 AM.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me