The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Most muscular at 135, 165, and 222lbs + rear lat

I posted the 135-222 awhile back in another thread I started about squatting, but I thought I'd add the 165lb one here too.

Anyway, here is a MM pose at 135lbs the week I started, 165lbs which is where I was stuck before I joined here (and got my power rack), and 222lbs a few months ago. I'm pretty much the same weight since I hit 225 and decided to take a break from trying to gain more. I've gotten a lot stronger since then though.

And here's a rear lat spread from awhile back too.

I could stand to cut, but I'm too afraid of losing strength. Plus now it's Fall, so there's no point. I've been doing the 5/3/1 routine for a couple months but it's too hard to tell if I'm still getting stronger. I'll stick with it awhile longer but I may switch some lifts back to my old routine.
    22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)

Total: 1280lbs 100% raw

The key to my exercise program is this one simple truth: I hate my body.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

If I were you, I would have stopped at 165 and never picked up another weight in my life unless it was just to maintain. Would never utter the words diet or cut again. I'd be on an eternal maintenance. You're insane for getting fatter.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMorgan View Post
    If I were you, I would have stopped at 165 and never picked up another weight in my life unless it was just to maintain. Would never utter the words diet or cut again. I'd be on an eternal maintenance. You're insane for getting fatter.
    WTF????? Was this comment an inside joke I didn't get?

To Berfles......simply amazing transformation man.
    Last edited by Mik; 09-30-2009 at 01:12 PM.

Your either trolling or an idiot.

Anyhow,

Looking ****ing awesome at 222, serious mass. Congrats on your awesome progress.

looking big berfles. We have almost the exact same story, and simliar stats, but your about 10lbs heavier than me. You really put in the effort and it shows.Ciongrats bro
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

You have clearly made great progress over the years!
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

You're a goddamn sherman tank at 225lbs mate. good work!
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Dang, look at them traps.

222 looks GREAT!! I can only imagine how much you must eat.
    5'9". 34.-----------------------------BEST LIFTS-----------------------GOALS
    Bodyweight-------------------------BE 280 x 1------------------------BE 300 x 1
    Jan 2009: 151 lbs----------------SQ 365 x 2-----------------------SQ 400 x 1
    Jan 2010: 221 lbs----------------DL 405 x 1------------------------DL 500 x 1
    Current: 214 lbs
    bulking again -- working on my DL

LuNa
    Wow, that just made me feel bad . We are the same weight and you look like i want to look. Awesome work, i cant even begin to imagine the work you put in.

From Smeagol to beast mode.

That's a really awesome transformation. Congrats and kudos on your hard work.
    "You are never given a wish without also being given the power to make it come true. You may have to work for it, however." - Richard Bach

Awesome as always, berfles. I'm really diggin' the cherries painted on the wall, lol.
    Name: Justin Height: 6'2" Weight: 205 lbs. Age: 25

"Pick the right door, and you'll go free ... pick the wrong door, and there he'll be ..."

"It's the most fun in the park, when you're laughing in the dark!"

Damn man you're lookin' pretty huge. I remember when you first joined wbb, it's been interesting following your progress considering your insane metabolism. One of the biggest transformations on the boards I'd say.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Great progress mate, whats your routine look like?

I too would like to hear your reasoning behind this, whether you were joking or being a dick. Either way, enlighten me.

Quote Originally Posted by Detard View Post
    looking big berfles. We have almost the exact same story, and simliar stats, but your about 10lbs heavier than me. You really put in the effort and it shows.Ciongrats bro
    I challenge you to a raw liftoff!

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Beast View Post
    Awesome as always, berfles. I'm really diggin' the cherries painted on the wall, lol.
    Haha, my sister did those too. That room was supposed to be her pottery room, but she never really got started so after she moved out I took over.

Quote Originally Posted by benno View Post
    Great progress mate, whats your routine look like?
    Right now I'm doing the 5/3/1 routine from Jim Wendler.

Thanks for all the other comments guys, it makes me want to buckle down harder and start ensuring I get 6000 calories every day again.
    22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)

you've made a hell of a transformation there, berfles. it's clear you've put in the work. great job, man. don't be afriad to cut down, though. if you're doing everything correctly you won't lose much strength at all.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

...just wow man
    |A:26 | H:6'5'' | W:198| GW: 215|
    Stats: Start | Current | Goal
    Bench: 135lb |170lb| 225lb
    Squat: 135lb |185lb| 225lb
    Dead: 180 |185lb| 315lb
    OH Press: 85lb |100lb| 150lb
    (all 3 x 5 reps)

Quote Originally Posted by berfles View Post
    I too would like to hear your reasoning behind this, whether you were joking or being a dick. Either way, enlighten me.

I'm saying you looked really, really effing good at 165. You didn't have to bulk up more, and personally, I wouldn't have. But I guess if you're doing it for the sport of BBing/PLing, that's cool. Do your thing. Personally, I'm a lazy bastard who is just into weightlifting to get into shape, and I would never go to another gym again in my life if I had your 165lbs body, unless it was just to maintain it every few weeks or so.

I'm saying you looked really, really effing good at 165. You didn't have to bulk up more, and personally, I wouldn't have. But I guess if you're doing it for the sport of BBing/PLing, that's cool. Do your thing. Personally, I'm a lazy bastard who is just into weightlifting to get into shape, and I would never go to another gym again in my life if I had your 165lbs body, unless it was just to maintain it every few weeks or so.
    There are many things I want to reply with...but Ill keep it simple. With that strength and build and a well organized program and diet layout, his extra weight is going to fall off...and when it does, and he is lean at 185 instead of 165, that 165 will seem laughable.

Attaboy berfles...amazing achievements. Keep it up!
    - Slave & Master At The Same Damn Time -
    Hoping To Compete Natty Early 2011

If you hit 165 and go to the gym every few weeks or so you wouldn't have his body.

What, and look like every other pseudo-ripped, marginally strong dude out there? What's the point in that? Most of us are here to get as big or as strong as possible, or both.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I'm saying you looked really, really effing good at 165. You didn't have to bulk up more, and personally, I wouldn't have.
    He really didn't. Berfles made good gains to get up to 165, but he still looked like your average joe at that weight. Going up to 225 from there is far more impressive, and takes a work ethic I doubt you'll ever know.

But I guess if you're doing it for the sport of BBing/PLing, that's cool. Do your thing. Personally, I'm a lazy bastard who is just into weightlifting to get into shape, and I would never go to another gym again in my life if I had your 165lbs body, unless it was just to maintain it every few weeks or so.
    Why are you on these forums? If your goal is to get to 165lbs and lean, freakin do it. That's not very difficult, not difficult at all. I'd say most men could accomplish that in a year or two, easy... unless you have the testosterone levels of a female bunny rabbit.

I don't like you.

Berfles, very impressive transformation. What kind of routines did you use to get up to 225lbs? I believe you're a fan of 5x5 across, right?
    Last edited by Meat_Head; 10-01-2009 at 06:52 PM.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx View Post

Berfles, very impressive transformation. What kind of routines did you use to get up to 225lbs? I believe you're a fan of 5x5 across, right?
    I am indeed. I am actually strongly considering going back to it for squats, I'm not progressing at all with them in the 5/3/1 routine. Probably because they're all I do for legs and it's only three sets, and I'm not good with higher rep squats. I'll paste my routine that I posted elsewhere:

Monday
    Flat bench 5x3
    Weighted dips (triceps) 3x5

Tuesday
    Deadlifts 5x5 (or 3x3)
    Weighted pull-ups 3x5

Wednesday
    Shoulder press 5x5
    Side laterals supersetted with fronts 3x8

Thursday
    Squat ATG 5x5

Friday
    Whatever I feel like doing for biceps and additional tri work, if anything.

I know that seems like barely anything, but that's the core of my workout. I'll add additional exercises to each day depending on how I feel, but more often than not that's how it is. Like I said, I would definitely not do this over another well established routine because I catered it to myself after seeing how my body responded.
    That's basically what I did from 165 to 225. I feel like I'm getting a bit stronger in bench and deadlifts, but my squats are really pissing me off.
    22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)

Damn Berles! Now That's A BACK!

Congratulation. And keep going mate.
    "to teach God's word, by his own example; that we must Love all things that God made" - The Rime of the Ancient Mariner

DL: 375 RAW No Belt, No Wraps, No nothing!
    SQ: 325 RAW " " "
    BP: 220 RAW " " "

Total: 920 hahaha Not quite a 1000lbs (This was done back in 2008 )

Quote Originally Posted by BULK_BOY View Post
    Damn Berles! Now That's A BACK!

Congratulation. And keep going mate.
    Thanks, I think my back will look pretty good once I cut down a bit.

Here is another old picture, take a look at the fierce gaze.

22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)